Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

4 women already in Oz

4 women already in Oz

Old Feb 5th 2004, 7:41 pm
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice
Default 4 women already in Oz

Just a little market research really...

Nail extentions,and nail art type things...
How much call for it would you say there is...
Are there already loads of people doing it over there....
Is this in the salons...or mobile...or both...

I ask because one of the things I can do is nails....I have seen a fare few adverts for people wanted to fill this kind of job and also chairs to rent in salons...

Your on the spot opinions, much appreciated....and if any of you already have extentions done...what you are currently paying for a full set...would be well interesting...the rate here in Devon currently being somewhere between £30 and £40

Thanx in advance for any answers

Pep
Old Feb 5th 2004, 7:53 pm
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

And Ive just realised Ive put this on the total wrong time of day for Oz havent I ...they are all asleep...sorry boys this is a boring one for you...as you cant really in put on it ...eh...
Old Feb 5th 2004, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

steve & dee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 4 women already in Oz

Originally posted by peppi

I ask because one of the things I can do is nails....I have seen a fare few adverts for people wanted to fill this kind of job and also chairs to rent in salons...

Your on the spot opinions, much appreciated....and if any of you already have extentions done...what you are currently paying for a full set...would be well interesting...the rate here in Devon currently being somewhere between £30 and £40

Pep

When I lived in Oz 6yrs ago nails were huge there, I cant imagine you having much of a problem, but the standard is high as the competion is high. I can't remember the cost but I do know that you will find nail technicians in hair salons, beauty salons, and just on a little stand in the middle of a shopping centre. I'm a beauty therapist myself, I actually trained in melbourne but the one thing I didnt do was nails. Deirdre
Old Feb 5th 2004, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by peppi

Pep
Chinese guy opened a nail art place up here its always empty, cant possibly be meeting the rent roll.

Nails tho very popular, seen signs outside a beauty parlour in the Plaza for a full set $40.00. Dont get them done myself, but know plenty who do. Plenty of people seem to be doing them, beauty places, hairdressers etc. You really need to say where you are looking at setting up, markets for anything are different state to state.

Chairs to rent in salons is just because they want someone to help pay the rent its not really an indication of business prospects.
Old Feb 5th 2004, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

annier has a brilliant futureannier has a brilliant futureannier has a brilliant futureannier has a brilliant futureannier has a brilliant futureannier has a brilliant futureannier has a brilliant future

I HAVE BEEN GETTING MY NAILS DONE ON THE GOLD COAST FOR THE LAST 14 YEARS. I PAY $35-00 FOR AN INFILL EVERY THREE WEEKS. REALLY BIG BUSINESS OVER HERE. LOTS OF SALONS AROUND. IT IS VERY POPULAR TO RENT A CHAIR IN A HAIR SALON. STANDARD VERY HIGH HERE. I FOUND WHEN I WENT BACK ON HOLIDAY TO THE UK 2 YEARS AGO IT WAS QUITE HARD TO GET A GOOD NAIL TECH.I DONT THINK YOU WOULD HAVE A PROBLEM GETTING WORK AS LONG AS YOUR WORK IS OF A HIGH STANDARD. GOOD LUCK.
Old Feb 5th 2004, 9:42 pm
Moomin member

Originally posted by dotty
Chinese guy opened a nail art place up here its always empty, cant possibly be meeting the rent roll.

Nails tho very popular, seen signs outside a beauty parlour in the Plaza for a full set $40.00. Dont get them done myself, but know plenty who do. Plenty of people seem to be doing them, beauty places, hairdressers etc. You really need to say where you are looking at setting up, markets for anything are different state to state.

Chairs to rent in salons is just because they want someone to help pay the rent its not really an indication of business prospects.
Ok fare comment...intended destination is perth...so thats where Ive been looking..in the western Australian...online...there is fare bit more for that on there than there is screen printers which is my TRA entrance on the application..and I hasten to add not what I want to carry on doing at all unless I have to....I shouldnt have to earn pots a gold what ever I do and I dont really want to work ful time...it is just a thought...and im testing the water...but thanks anyway...

I get very confused Dotty as to where you actually are at the moment...I thought you'd done the big come back here thing...not that discounts your opinion..gladly recieved...if you are back its only just...I think

Old Feb 5th 2004, 9:48 pm
Moomin member

Originally posted by annier
I HAVE BEEN GETTING MY NAILS DONE ON THE GOLD COAST FOR THE LAST 14 YEARS. I PAY $35-00 FOR AN INFILL EVERY THREE WEEKS. REALLY BIG BUSINESS OVER HERE. LOTS OF SALONS AROUND. IT IS VERY POPULAR TO RENT A CHAIR IN A HAIR SALON. STANDARD VERY HIGH HERE. I FOUND WHEN I WENT BACK ON HOLIDAY TO THE UK 2 YEARS AGO IT WAS QUITE HARD TO GET A GOOD NAIL TECH.I DONT THINK YOU WOULD HAVE A PROBLEM GETTING WORK AS LONG AS YOUR WORK IS OF A HIGH STANDARD. GOOD LUCK.
$35-00 for the infill/upkeep sooooo about £15.00 our money..a little less...but then when I went to Perth everthing is a bit less so about in my money frame that I figured...
thanx for that
Old Feb 5th 2004, 11:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

I actually saw two adverts in the paper last weekend for nail technicians, one was to rent a spot in a salon, can't remember the other one exactly. Only noticed as I know that another poster on here does that sort of thing. Lots of beauty salons/hairdressers do nails and I've seen adverts for mobile nails peeps so there are plenty of outlets around. Whether this means there is already a lot of competition & it would be a hard area to break into I don't know.

I'm talking about the northern Perth suburbs here, perhaps someone SOR can give an idea of what the situation's like there. Where are you heading?

Loopy
Old Feb 6th 2004, 6:14 am
Moomin member

Originally posted by Loopy
I actually saw two adverts in the paper last weekend for nail technicians, one was to rent a spot in a salon, can't remember the other one exactly. Only noticed as I know that another poster on here does that sort of thing. Lots of beauty salons/hairdressers do nails and I've seen adverts for mobile nails peeps so there are plenty of outlets around. Whether this means there is already a lot of competition & it would be a hard area to break into I don't know.

I'm talking about the northern Perth suburbs here, perhaps someone SOR can give an idea of what the situation's like there. Where are you heading?

Loopy
South of Perth...Brother lives in Rockingham so somewhere that sort of way I expect....Ive been looking at your western australian on line...I think thats the main place for looking for jobs etc there...I must say...on job day it seems to be a hugh rag and heaving with jobs and small affordable businesses for sale..Am I looking the right place or are there any others I should know about..
Old Feb 7th 2004, 5:59 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Just so this in the West Australian
http://business.thewest.com.au/gen_e...yment-features

NAIL TECH Casual to fulltime hours. Thalgo, Beauty Ther pref. · PH _0417 908 649

Don't know where it is, or if that's what you do, but thought I'd post it!

Same telephone number:
BEAUTY THERAPIST Casual to fulltime hours. Thalgo, Nail Tech preferred. · PH _0417 908 649
_

Published 07-Feb-2004

Last edited by Simone; Feb 7th 2004 at 6:11 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2004, 6:01 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

And another!

NAIL TECH Qualified, fast, excellent work. Reliable, non-smoker. Flexi hours. · Bicton _9339 4339
_

Published 07-Feb-2004
Old Feb 7th 2004, 6:15 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

And another, it says nails so that's why I'm posting.
Have no idea at all for the rest!
Maybe you could at least try and find out in what areas these are by looking up the phone numbers??

BEAUTY THERAPIST req w/ 5yrs EB/salon exp for busy EB salon NOR. Elect and acrylic nails pref. Call _9380 4772 · or ah _9244 4930
_

Published 07-Feb-2004
Old Feb 8th 2004, 9:02 am
Moomin member

Originally posted by Simone82
And another, it says nails so that's why I'm posting.
Have no idea at all for the rest!
Maybe you could at least try and find out in what areas these are by looking up the phone numbers??

BEAUTY THERAPIST req w/ 5yrs EB/salon exp for busy EB salon NOR. Elect and acrylic nails pref. Call _9380 4772 · or ah _9244 4930
_

Published 07-Feb-2004
Thanx ever so for posting all these job adds...well useful...trying to test the water...although Im nowhere near coming over and needing a job its good to suss out what oppotunitys there are before hand

cheers
Old Feb 8th 2004, 12:35 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

i'm not sure if i'm going to be sorry for saying this, but since this thread was started every time i read the subject it cracks me up....

There's 4 women already in auz??! jesus... i hope there's a few more than 4, or i'm staying in the UK!

sorry i'll shut up now.
Old Feb 8th 2004, 7:43 pm
Moomin member

Originally posted by scutterUK
i'm not sure if i'm going to be sorry for saying this, but since this thread was started every time i read the subject it cracks me up....

There's 4 women already in auz??! jesus... i hope there's a few more than 4, or i'm staying in the UK!

sorry i'll shut up now.
LOL...I knew a boy had to get a say in somewhere...think theres a few more than 4...but not as many as here...n I was being lazy..spend to much time txtin..I will forget how to write proper english soon....