Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

4 wheels to 2 - Motorcycle training

4 wheels to 2 - Motorcycle training

Old Apr 22nd 2005, 12:09 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default 4 wheels to 2 - Motorcycle training

Hi all,

I'm planning to move to NSW in July August time, and fully intend to get mobile on a motorcycle when I eventually get settled. Though I can ride a motorcycle, I havn't had any formal training, and don't hold a motorcycle licence right now. (Held a full car licence since 1990)

Should I do motorcycle training in the UK or wait until I arrive in Aus? I assume there are plusses and minusses to either - Does anybody have any experiences to share? I'm assuming that cost will be the overriding issue...

S
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 12:16 pm
Now a Mummy!

SonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud of
Default Re: 4 wheels to 2 - Motorcycle training

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Hi all,

I'm planning to move to NSW in July August time, and fully intend to get mobile on a motorcycle when I eventually get settled. Though I can ride a motorcycle, I havn't had any formal training, and don't hold a motorcycle licence right now. (Held a full car licence since 1990)

Should I do motorcycle training in the UK or wait until I arrive in Aus? I assume there are plusses and minusses to either - Does anybody have any experiences to share? I'm assuming that cost will be the overriding issue...

S
Hello!
I've just passed my bike test in UK.. I did Direct Access (ie CBT, then 3 days on a 500). It cost me about £600.
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

carlos1340 is an unknown quantity at this point

Q-Ride is the "direct access" in Queensland (not sure about rest of Oz). Basically, you do a days training and then whatever the tester/trainer feels you require, ie another 8 hours riding etc.

This is the best way, why do it in the UK, in the wet with loads of vehicles averywhere?
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 12:26 pm
AC/DC!

yamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really nice

Ive been riding for years now and I think the way they do things now is excellent as you get full and comprehensive training over many hours of riding. Id say that as long as they dont let you on the road too easily in Oz then do it over there. Perhaps Im just getting too old and boring now but safety awareness and good training is an absolute must when it comes to riding a bike on public roads.
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 12:39 pm
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yamahaha
Ive been riding for years now and I think the way they do things now is excellent as you get full and comprehensive training over many hours of riding. Id say that as long as they dont let you on the road too easily in Oz then do it over there. Perhaps Im just getting too old and boring now but safety awareness and good training is an absolute must when it comes to riding a bike on public roads.
I totaly agree with you there Yam. I got my bike license in Oz. I did a 2 day course and then I recieved my learners permit, and I was out on my own for 8 months learning, then I did the license test passed it. But, I still had a lot to learn, Did a few track days, helped my riding a lot. A crashe help me too, as it bloody hurt. It makes you more alert.

Havn't yet been on a bike yet in Scotland. Seem to be a lot of idiots here.
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 5:23 pm
Now a Mummy!

SonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud of

Sorry yamahaha and zx10r,
Can't agree with you at all, i've been riding since '85 and did the old part 1 and 2, so did my 18 months or so of learning on a 50cc and 125cc bikes.
The way they teach now is, if you're over 25 (i think) you ride an unfamiliar bike for about 4 days then pass you test on the 5th day then off you go to ride what you like.
So then, people can go and get any bike on finance or whatever and go and get themselves killed, and they do down in the South of England.

To my mind it's totally wrong.

Rant over.
Ride safe.

Cheers.

Kawasaki boy.
Sonicbirds old man!!
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 3:40 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

So what exactly is the procedure/process for learning to ride in Aus? Is it a multiple part test as in the UK? Also, how much is the training likely to cost?

S
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 4:22 pm
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
So what exactly is the procedure/process for learning to ride in Aus? Is it a multiple part test as in the UK? Also, how much is the training likely to cost?

S
This may help.

http://www.stayupright.com.au/

Jim