Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

4 weeks in Brisbane

4 weeks in Brisbane

Old Oct 27th 2006, 9:15 am
tin
Brisbane bound

tin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of light
Default 4 weeks in Brisbane

After starting the application process 3 years ago we are finally here - I know I loved hearing from people who'd arrived when I was in the UK so just wanted to post our experiences. First the short version - we're loving it so far. The weather has been perfect. Most of the people we have met have been fantastic and willing to go out of their way to help. I had a job interview in the first week and a job offer before the end of the second. In fact we've been here less than a month and I've already been working a week, not quite the leasurely few months job hunting I was secretly hoping for

We've also been in a rental for just over a week - but it's fair to say we had to compromise quite a bit as good rentals are like gold dust. Nevertheless for just over half the price of our flat in London we are in a 4 bed house with a garden - quite an improvement It does mean we've had to buy a lot of furniture to fill those extra rooms but I have found furniture here incredibly cheap. They have the usual chipboard stuff which isn't far off UK prices but if you want solid wood furniture that is a fraction of the UK price. For example we've seen a fantastic solid oak dining table for $600 and we bought a large very thick teak coffee table for $250.

With regards the job I did change my CV a little bit from the UK version - just made it a bit longer and a bit more detailed. I fired off applications for eveything that sounded suitable on seek - customising my CV for each opportunity. It's frustrating as so few respond - I had 3 responses from about 15 applications - but it only takes one to be successful! Also a little thank you to Sarah (aka JackTheLad) for answering my questions and offering advice

We're neither of us very outgoing but have made the effort to meet our immediate neighbours and it really paid off. One of them has a child the same age as ours and is part of a baby group which my wife has now joined. These sort of things are a lifesaver so it just shows it's worth making the effort - what's the worst that can happen (actually don't answer that ).

Finally a short aside on travelling with a baby. When we came for our validation we did the trip in one go and it was hard. Travelling for 24 hours meant she was awake for about 12 and there is nowhere for them to work off excess energy. This time we flew out of Heathrow in the evening so she slept through most of the first night. We then had most of the day in the airport (KL since we flew Malaysian) so we booked in to the airport Hotel. We each had about 2 hours kip while the other took the little one out for long walks to exhaust her! It worked like a charm as we left KL in what would have been the UK evening and she slept through most of that flight too - all in all a far better experience!!!!!

Feel free to fire away if you have any questions.
Cheers
Martyn
Old Oct 27th 2006, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

martynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nice
Default Re: 4 weeks in Brisbane

Originally Posted by tin
After starting the application process 3 years ago we are finally here - I know I loved hearing from people who'd arrived when I was in the UK so just wanted to post our experiences. First the short version - we're loving it so far. The weather has been perfect. Most of the people we have met have been fantastic and willing to go out of their way to help. I had a job interview in the first week and a job offer before the end of the second. In fact we've been here less than a month and I've already been working a week, not quite the leasurely few months job hunting I was secretly hoping for

We've also been in a rental for just over a week - but it's fair to say we had to compromise quite a bit as good rentals are like gold dust. Nevertheless for just over half the price of our flat in London we are in a 4 bed house with a garden - quite an improvement It does mean we've had to buy a lot of furniture to fill those extra rooms but I have found furniture here incredibly cheap. They have the usual chipboard stuff which isn't far off UK prices but if you want solid wood furniture that is a fraction of the UK price. For example we've seen a fantastic solid oak dining table for $600 and we bought a large very thick teak coffee table for $250.

With regards the job I did change my CV a little bit from the UK version - just made it a bit longer and a bit more detailed. I fired off applications for eveything that sounded suitable on seek - customising my CV for each opportunity. It's frustrating as so few respond - I had 3 responses from about 15 applications - but it only takes one to be successful! Also a little thank you to Sarah (aka JackTheLad) for answering my questions and offering advice

We're neither of us very outgoing but have made the effort to meet our immediate neighbours and it really paid off. One of them has a child the same age as ours and is part of a baby group which my wife has now joined. These sort of things are a lifesaver so it just shows it's worth making the effort - what's the worst that can happen (actually don't answer that ).

Finally a short aside on travelling with a baby. When we came for our validation we did the trip in one go and it was hard. Travelling for 24 hours meant she was awake for about 12 and there is nowhere for them to work off excess energy. This time we flew out of Heathrow in the evening so she slept through most of the first night. We then had most of the day in the airport (KL since we flew Malaysian) so we booked in to the airport Hotel. We each had about 2 hours kip while the other took the little one out for long walks to exhaust her! It worked like a charm as we left KL in what would have been the UK evening and she slept through most of that flight too - all in all a far better experience!!!!!

Feel free to fire away if you have any questions.
Cheers
Martyn
Great post, glad it's all working out and you're in employment....(a bit soon though ? Couldn't you have delayed for about another 4 months !!!!

We're coming out to Brissie in Jan/Feb, hope ours goes as smoothly ?

all the best, from another Martyn.
Old Oct 27th 2006, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

grahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to behold

Great post, hope that we have the same luck when we eventually get there (so frustrating waiting for the house to sell ) Well done with the job and good luck to you and your family.
Old Oct 27th 2006, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

rich8509 will become famous soon enoughrich8509 will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=martynm]

Excellent post. Were hopefully heading out to Brisbane in Jan, where have you settled and how did you go about getting a rental?
Did you apply for jobs whilst in the UK or did you wait until you get there?

regards
Rich
Old Oct 27th 2006, 12:21 pm
tin
Brisbane bound

tin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks all.
grahampaula we know just what it's like - we sold three times before it finally went through I think selling the house was the hardest part. Good luck I'm sure it will all work out eventually!
Originally Posted by rich8509

Excellent post. Were hopefully heading out to Brisbane in Jan, where have you settled and how did you go about getting a rental?
We are in Bracken Ridge - it's where our friends live and while staying with them we decided we like it. To get the rental we just responded to adverts on realestate.com.au and applied for the first property that fit the bill. Make sure you have all your paperwork ready beforehand including bank statements (or proof of employment) and references from your UK landlord or the agent who sold your house.

Originally Posted by rich8509
Did you apply for jobs whilst in the UK or did you wait until you get there?

regards
Rich
I think it was a mistake to apply for jobs from the UK - not a single one received a response and when I arrived alot of them were still advertised so I could have applied with an Australian address instead. Then again I suppose nothing stopping you applying twice!
Old Oct 27th 2006, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

rich8509 will become famous soon enoughrich8509 will become famous soon enough

[ instead. Then again I suppose nothing stopping you applying twice![/QUOTE]

Thanks Tin and best of luck in your new life
Old Oct 27th 2006, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

Okletsgo is just really niceOkletsgo is just really niceOkletsgo is just really niceOkletsgo is just really niceOkletsgo is just really niceOkletsgo is just really niceOkletsgo is just really niceOkletsgo is just really niceOkletsgo is just really nice

Well done! Looks like there are quite a few of us heading that way ! We plan to arrive Jan as well!! Best of luck
Old Oct 27th 2006, 4:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations! Looks like you've hit the jackpot as they say ! I'm pleased we're contemplating our move in Feb/Mar as there may not be any flights left in Jan looking at these responses! Hopefully though there may be some jobs left :scared: