Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

4 mths in Oz as an Electrician...TRA UPDATE!!!!

4 mths in Oz as an Electrician...TRA UPDATE!!!!

Old Apr 10th 2006, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

richard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud of
Default 4 mths in Oz as an Electrician...TRA UPDATE!!!!

Hello.

It's good and bad news today. Richard went all the way to Melbourne for his interview and exam with the TRA. The good news is that he passed the exam with ease and the interview went well.

Unfortunately, the woman said that there was a problem with Richards City and Guilds certificates. Apparently they are not valid. He has ......

Electrical Installation Theory and Practice Part 1
Electrical Installation Theory and Practice Part 1 (different)
Electrical Installation Theory Part 2
Electrical Installation Theory Part 2 (different)
Inspection, Testing and Certification of Electrical Installations

That's 5 certificates............
.....but he does not have an overall certificate stating he has passed the entire course, and this is the one she needs. Richard said surely it did not matter as he has had (for a large sum of money and took a total of 8 months to get in England) all his qualifications transferred over to Australian recognised ones - and produced the certificate for her....

Certificate lll in Electrotechnology - Systems Electrician
Installation and Servicing UTE31199

She laughed and said it was not worth the paper it had been written on. And infact it went against us as our application to get all the qualifications transferred over states that Richard has not done an apprenticeship. And one of the stipulations to get the TRA certificate is that you have to have completed an apprenticeship. Richard said he had done one for 5 years in England and the woman said yes she could see that by all the evidence we had produced but the Cert lll went against what we were saying.

What is so annoying is that we had his qualifications transferred over by OE Visas in London who put us on to John Nye who handled all of this for us for a good 1,800 pounds! And now it is worth Jack s**t.

As you know the TRA meet up once a month which is in 3 weeks time as from now. We are just about to ring City and Guilds in England, to get them to send us a copy of the overall certificate. Unfortunately on their website they say it can take up to 3 weeks to produce. If this is the case...what with 1 week to post to Oz....we will miss the TRA meeting in 3 weeks time and will have to wait another 4 weeks for the next one!!!!! Aaaagh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Richard is about to ring City and Guilds now and beg them to do it NOW and we will pay them to fast track it to OZ!!!!! Pronto!!!

The other alternative is...if he does not get his City and Guilds certificate...he can take the official state exam without havibg to do the course. Brilliant, Richard said. Or maybe not as it will be at least 4 months before he can take it!!!!

Always look on the bright side of life...do do, do do, do ,do ,do do do do
Always look on the bright side of life..........
I am calm...breath in.............................hold............... ..........and out

Will keep you all posted
Elly
Old Apr 10th 2006, 12:30 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 4 mths in Oz as an Electrician...TRA UPDATE!!!!

Great news for the test and interview......Keeping fingers crossed for the rest.

Good luck guys

Cheers

Ginny
Old Apr 10th 2006, 1:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

leechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud of

What a nightmare Elly You must be tearing your hair out!! Try and stay calm, you will get there in the end, in the mean time and more Nicky x
Old Apr 10th 2006, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

richard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud of

I'm actually tee total.....but you know I could be tempted.....

Richard has just rang up City and Guilds people in England. Apparently the certificate we need was never issued to Richard when he passed all his exams in 1998. The woman said there had been a major c**k up and Richard had been issued to student numbers and when it was all rectified in 2002 (yes! 2002!!!) they sent him his certificate....except we never lived at that house any more!!! There was me thinking it was our fault and perhaps we had lost it! They cannot fast track a copy of the certificate to us but we can fax the application form for it to them. That's the most they can do for us! Considering it was their mistake in the first place....... Hey don't worry about it...Richard is only trying to support a wife and 2 kids and pay bills and a mortgage. Take your time....besides rice is starting to grow on me.

Alcohol......mmmmm...I remember that from my murky past......southern comfort if I remember rightly.... I will not let the system defeat me. 4 months in Oz and still haven't got Richards licence to trade. What the hell....s**t happens. We're here in Oz!!!! Yippeeee, we made it. Ok so there are some problems....but we made it!! Life is good. It'll sort itself out eventually...hopefully before I buy that southern comfort bottle.
Elly
Old Apr 10th 2006, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

leechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by richard-elly
I'm actually tee total.....but you know I could be tempted.....

Richard has just rang up City and Guilds people in England. Apparently the certificate we need was never issued to Richard when he passed all his exams in 1998. The woman said there had been a major c**k up and Richard had been issued to student numbers and when it was all rectified in 2002 (yes! 2002!!!) they sent him his certificate....except we never lived at that house any more!!! There was me thinking it was our fault and perhaps we had lost it! They cannot fast track a copy of the certificate to us but we can fax the application form for it to them. That's the most they can do for us! Considering it was their mistake in the first place....... Hey don't worry about it...Richard is only trying to support a wife and 2 kids and pay bills and a mortgage. Take your time....besides rice is starting to grow on me.

Alcohol......mmmmm...I remember that from my murky past......southern comfort if I remember rightly.... I will not let the system defeat me. 4 months in Oz and still haven't got Richards licence to trade. What the hell....s**t happens. We're here in Oz!!!! Yippeeee, we made it. Ok so there are some problems....but we made it!! Life is good. It'll sort itself out eventually...hopefully before I buy that southern comfort bottle.
Elly

I think your positive spirit is admirable. With that kind of attitude everything will work out for you. I wish you luck for everything going quick enough for the next TRA meeting. Nicky x
Old Apr 10th 2006, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

loopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really nice

good luck with everything, hope he gets his license soon.

Originally Posted by leechy100
I think your positive spirit is admirable. With that kind of attitude everything will work out for you. I wish you luck for everything going quick enough for the next TRA meeting. Nicky x
Old Apr 10th 2006, 7:32 pm
visa holder

mark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond repute

Best of luck, hope its sorted soon.

Joex
Old Apr 10th 2006, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

r1c1 has a brilliant futurer1c1 has a brilliant futurer1c1 has a brilliant futurer1c1 has a brilliant futurer1c1 has a brilliant futurer1c1 has a brilliant future

4 months in Oz and still haven't got Richards licence to trade. What the hell....s**t happens. We're here in Oz!!!! Yippeeee, we made it. Ok so there are some problems....but we made it!! Life is good. It'll sort itself out eventually...hopefully before I buy that southern comfort bottle.
Elly[/QUOTE]

Hi.

I'm reading all your posts with intersest as i'm a spark in the process of moving to Oz (Victoria) and didn't realise it would be so much hassle.

Good luck. It's nice to see people with a positive attitude.

Steve & Sha.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by r1c1
4 months in Oz and still haven't got Richards licence to trade. What the hell....s**t happens. We're here in Oz!!!! Yippeeee, we made it. Ok so there are some problems....but we made it!! Life is good. It'll sort itself out eventually...hopefully before I buy that southern comfort bottle.
Elly

Victoria seems to be the most officious State, but if you can prove all your qualifications[and maybe JIB or NIC] there wont be any problems. The lady at my interview said that with all my certificates I was a 'shoe in'.
Just double check that C&G have sent your completion cert as that is the important one.
Once you can work in Vic you can work anywhere!!!

Richard
Old Apr 10th 2006, 9:25 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by richard-elly
Victoria seems to be the most officious State, but if you can prove all your qualifications[and maybe JIB or NIC] there wont be any problems. The lady at my interview said that with all my certificates I was a 'shoe in'.
Just double check that C&G have sent your completion cert as that is the important one.
Once you can work in Vic you can work anywhere!!!

Richard

sorry to appear thick richard but what is a "shoe in"

regards steve
Old Apr 10th 2006, 9:28 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
sorry to appear thick richard but what is a "shoe in"

regards steve
a 'sure thing' or a 'dead cert' ...
Old Apr 10th 2006, 9:31 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
a 'sure thing' or a 'dead cert' ...

thanks hutch
Ive never heard that expression

regards steve
Old Apr 10th 2006, 9:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
thanks hutch
Ive never heard that expression

regards steve
It's the same as saying he has his "foot in the door"
Old Apr 11th 2006, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

andicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really nice

Hi there

following your post with interest as TRA have got my paperwork at the mo (received 30th March) so, hopefully, should know soon.

Did he also have 16th edition and JIB/NICEIC?

Is it not worth transferring qualifications over then? Must be honest, didn't plan on doing this til I got there.

Also, (sorry about this ), was the 1800 quid ON TOP of what you paid for your TRA assessment?

Cheers and good luck

Andy
Old Apr 11th 2006, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by andicee
Hi there

following your post with interest as TRA have got my paperwork at the mo (received 30th March) so, hopefully, should know soon.

Did he also have 16th edition and JIB/NICEIC?

Is it not worth transferring qualifications over then? Must be honest, didn't plan on doing this til I got there.

Also, (sorry about this ), was the 1800 quid ON TOP of what you paid for your TRA assessment?

Cheers and good luck

Andy
Hi Andy

I'm not sure if the application can be made before landing, the forms can be downloaded from the website

www.workplace/tra.gov.com.au

Ithink thats the address?

But I dont think that you will have any problems so long as you have all your C & G certs. The lady at the TRA said that the only reason I was having the interveiw was because I had a missing certificate and therefore no proof of all my qualifications.
Take all of you NIC/JIB registration papers with you it will help

I passed my exams in 1998 which was and have therefore not taken a 16th upgrade, and never needed to join the NIC

And yes we paid the agent over and above any original quotes [it was only GBP 1500 !!!] Was told that only having 8 years experience might pose a problem the fact that by the time our application had gone through it was 10 years was overlooked.
Richard

Last edited by richard-elly; Apr 11th 2006 at 8:35 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.