Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

4 months in Perth, my thoughts...

4 months in Perth, my thoughts...

Old Oct 11th 2005, 7:35 pm
Bendy Bully

Eric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: 4 months in Perth, my thoughts...

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I still haven't grown accustomed to the tiny, oldfashioned streets, the cramped living space, the lack of privacy and the grime and filth which seems to cover every exposed surface over here.
Just what this forum needs. Another Aussie who starts crying at the slightest hint of something negative posted about Australia. You get what you pay for and there are terrible areas in Aus. You should move if you don't like it.
Old Oct 11th 2005, 7:37 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 4 months in Perth, my thoughts...

Originally Posted by Eric Hitchmo
Just what this forum needs. Another Aussie who starts crying at the slightest hint of something negative posted about Australia. You get what you pay for and there are terrible areas in Aus. You should move if you don't like it.
wow, you know a lot about the forum for being your 8th post.

Not another Victor Meldrew.
Old Oct 11th 2005, 7:43 pm
Bendy Bully

Eric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
wow, you know a lot about the forum for being your 8th post.

Not another Victor Meldrew.
Well I'd love to be able to rack up 3800 posts in about a year and a half. Things a bit slow in Melbourne eh?
Old Oct 11th 2005, 7:46 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

PMSL, just checked your other posts. You ARE Victor Meldrew.
Old Oct 11th 2005, 9:32 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: 4 months in Perth, my thoughts...

Originally Posted by Eric Hitchmo
Just what this forum needs. Another Aussie who starts crying at the slightest hint of something negative posted about Australia.
On the contary; I was sympathising with Tuxtrip, who'd moved from Australia to the UK and was therefore commenting on his/her experiences in the UK. (See this post, where Tuxtrip describes the UK not Australia.)

Tuxtrip says:

So I wasn't responding to anything negative that's been posted about Australia on this thread; indeed, I saw no reason to do so.

You get what you pay for and there are terrible areas in Aus.
    Very true, but in the UK you pay a lot more for it - even if the place is an absolute dump. I never cease to be amazed by the amount people charge in the UK for accommmodation that the average Australia would not even inflict on a domestic animal.

You should move if you don't like it.
    Did I say that I wasn't happy with my present accommodation? No I did not, because I'm not unhappy with it. It can't compete with the accommodation I used to have back home of course; but that's because I cannot afford the prices that UK landlords charge for the same standard of accommodation that I enjoyed in Australia.

Oh, and I will definitely be moving back home to Australia within the next year or so.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Oct 11th 2005 at 9:37 pm.
    Old Oct 11th 2005, 11:45 pm
    Bendy Bully

On the contary; I was sympathising with Tuxtrip, who'd moved from Australia to the UK and was therefore commenting on his/her experiences
    Does it matter who posted what about where? You called the UK grimy and filthy and it's the umpteenth insult about the place that you've posted on this forum. What exactly was in the original post that warranted this? *Why* are you on a forum for British Expats? Is our approval that important to you?

Very true, but in the UK you pay a lot more for it - even if the place is an absolute dump. I never cease to be amazed by the amount people charge in the UK for accommmodation that the average Australia would not even inflict on a domestic animal.
    Rent and house prices to earnings in Sydney are a joke. It seems the average Australian in Sydney is prepared to hand over more than half their wages to live in a rabbit hutch. I'll be able to afford something far superior on my return to the UK. It totally depends on what area of either country you're in and how much your job pays and the above statement is a ridiculous generalisation.

Did I say that I wasn't happy with my present accommodation? No I did not, because I'm not unhappy with it. It can't compete with the accommodation I used to have back home of course; but that's because I cannot afford the prices that UK landlords charge for the same standard of accommodation that I enjoyed in Australia.
    If you can't afford anywhere decent then that's your tough. It does not mean the whole of the UK is the dump that you keep telling people it is.

Oh, and I will definitely be moving back home to Australia within the next year or so.
    I'll drive you to the airport if you'd like.
    Old Oct 12th 2005, 1:21 am
    Meow!

TigerFeet has much to be proud ofTigerFeet has much to be proud ofTigerFeet has much to be proud ofTigerFeet has much to be proud ofTigerFeet has much to be proud ofTigerFeet has much to be proud ofTigerFeet has much to be proud ofTigerFeet has much to be proud ofTigerFeet has much to be proud ofTigerFeet has much to be proud ofTigerFeet has much to be proud of

Thanks for the support and response. I have read through all the posts.

On the subject of homesickness...

In my experience (and the people Ive spoken to) I think some people get it while others just dont. Well I guess thats an obvious statement! What I mean is just be aware of it. It is (I think) underestimated. There have been times when I have seriously thought about going back to the uk. Of course my brain (however small) takes over and logic tells me to stick it out. Australia is a very beautiful country, aint no doubt about it and it has so much to offer. However the streets are not paved with gold and you have to be prepared to work very hard at it. I always thought it was going to be tough but nothing really prepares you for it.
    We have a strong family relationship otherwise I would have been on the next uk plane as soon as the HS kicked in. We have argued more but we have also laughed more.

Just be aware it can happen if not for you then maybe your partner/daughter/son.

My family have been very supportive both here and the uk. I tell myself I can always go back...just not now. Hopefully that lot makes sense!

Ok, next bit...

Playgrounds and parks..

Arent they good over here? My children rate them, they are the best. They are safe usually sand/soft stuff on the floor, yes they are first rate. Thumbs up from the kids.

On the subject of homework..

Homework is given out more when they go to high school, or so Im told. I prefer mine to get it now as I can see were they are up to in their education. Its a personal situation, like I said in my OP.

Anyhow good luck to those planning to make the move, those who are about to move and those who are already here. Whatever happens take the rough with the smooth, it is a roller coaster and what ever happens just give it time. Well this is how I think.

Thanks again
    TF
    Old Oct 12th 2005, 1:57 am
    Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting that you find the cost of renting expensive, a few people have said this, yet I was amazed at how cheap it can be relative to buying a property, Rental prices in Perth are way to low, and they are only going to go up.
    I agree there's some real crap out there, but if you look in the right suburbs there are some that are excellent value.
    Steve