Default Re: 4 days in the surrounds of Alice Springs

Originally posted by bondipom
What would you do?
you going on a trip?

Old Jan 22nd 2004, 9:21 am
Vee
BE Enthusiast

Vee is an unknown quantity at this point

It's only a day ish (well actually 4-5 hrs) driving to Ayers Rock and then a further hour to the Olgas. You could easily spend a few days there - see Ayers Rock at sunrise, then walk around Ayers Rock (good 3-4 hour walk) then back to your tent/campervan/luxury hotel for a rest and then back to ayers rock to see the sun set. The next day go to the Olgas - you probably couldn't spend a day there but there is a national park to explore. I'm pretty sure there was also a good information centre/Aboriginal Arts Centre there as well.

There is nothing to do in Alice Springs except laundry. And McDonalds.

Why are you spending 4 days in the Alice Springs area?

Whatever you do DO NOT stop your car for anything/anyone.

V
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 9:24 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Vee
It's only a day ish (well actually 4-5 hrs) driving to Ayers Rock and then a further hour to the Olgas. You could easily spend a few days there - see Ayers Rock at sunrise, then walk around Ayers Rock (good 3-4 hour walk) then back to your tent/campervan/luxury hotel for a rest and then back to ayers rock to see the sun set. The next day go to the Olgas - you probably couldn't spend a day there but there is a national park to explore. I'm pretty sure there was also a good information centre/Aboriginal Arts Centre there as well.

There is nothing to do in Alice Springs except laundry. And McDonalds.

Why are you spending 4 days in the Alice Springs area?

V
Qantas and virginblue are doing a sale. I am taking some days off after anzac day and looking at travelling then,
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 9:32 am
Vee
BE Enthusiast

I presume you are going to be renting a car when you get there?

Why not get a campervan type thing? Then you aren't really limited to staying in a hotel in Alice Springs - unless of course you want to stay in a hotel in Alice Springs. I'm sure there is a big National Park around the Alice Springs/Ayers Rock area. I can look in my Lonely Planet Guide for you tonight if you like.

The Olgas are fantastic. They always seem to get overlooked but they are so close to Ayers Rock that it would be shame not to see them.

I'll have a look tonight in my book.
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 9:38 am

There are plenty of good flights with limited planning time. Another option is checking out the sister in law in Adelaide and kangaroo island.
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 9:44 am
dazuk

There are plenty of good flights with limited planning time. Another option is checking out the sister in law in Adelaide and kangaroo island.
I would recommend a visit out to kings canyon. Well worth the climb, you get some stunning views of the outback. The formations of the actual rock almost makes you think you are on mars.

I did it in july thought, the heat would probably kill you in january

Old Jan 22nd 2004, 10:05 am
Vee
BE Enthusiast

oh yeah - Kangaroo Island and Kings Canon. Kangaroo Island was really nice - it was the only place we saw koala Bears. Kings Canon was beautiful - we also climbed up the top and yeah, it's how I would imagine Mars to look.

There are so many things to do in Australia BP - you are spoilt for choice. Just out of curiosity - how much are flights from Sydney to say Adelaide when they are on sale?

Edited to correct really bad spelling

Last edited by Vee; Jan 22nd 2004 at 10:11 am.
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 10:09 am

$99 one way pop on to www.qantas.com.au or www.virginblue.com.au .

I am becoming Aussie because I grab em when they are on sale.
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 10:14 am
WBB

i thought that was a scottish trait.

Old Jan 22nd 2004, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

scotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by welshboybilly
i thought that was a scottish trait.

LMAO
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 10:45 am
Vee
BE Enthusiast

Wow, that's not bad. What are taxes like on flights? Does that include tax or is it like here where you only find out about it after reading the small print?

Nowt wrong with grabbing things when they are on sale. Take advantage of a good deal is all.
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 11:19 am
What's he asking?

Fuzzyness is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Vee

V
why is that Vee?
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 11:30 am
Vee
BE Enthusiast

Well, it was a bit tongue in cheek that coz I'm sure it can happen anywhere in Australia. But it was near Alice Springs that Peter Falcano (sp??) and his girlfriend were stopped - he was then bundled into the back of a van and shot (I think) and she managed to escape.

The guy who stopped them apparently drove alongside them or behind them and indicated to them that they had a problem with their van. They pulled over to have a look and that's when he pounced (I could be totally wrong on these particulars F, my memory aint what it used to be ).

This happened the year when we were in Australia - in fact it happend a few days after we got back. It really scared me because although Mr Vee and I agreed that we wouldn't stop for hitchhikers or anyone trying to flag us down (purely because of the fact that not everyone is honest) we would have stopped if we thought something was wrong with our van.

Like I said, it could happen anywhere in Australia. It just stuck with me because I remember the stretch of road and it was quite a lonely road.
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 11:35 am
What's he asking?

Fuzzyness is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers Vee. did they ever get anyone for that murder or do they still think it was his missus.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.