Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

4 day trip to Whitsundays - any ideas???

4 day trip to Whitsundays - any ideas???

Old Sep 26th 2007, 11:11 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default 4 day trip to Whitsundays - any ideas???

My mother-in-law is coming to visit for the month of December. This means my husband and I will have a much needed long weekend away from the kids.

We are going up to the Whitsundays area around Dec 7-9th. We're hoping to fly up Thursday night and return to Brisbane on early evening.

Does anyone have any ideas about where to stay, what to do etc?

We were thinking about trying one of the islands and maybe catching a tour of the great barrier reef. Other than that I'm just starting to research the whole thing.

Is there anywher eyou can swim with dolphins up there?

Also, can you swim in the ocean there in December? Might be a stupid question I just thought I read something jellyfish or something.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 4 day trip to Whitsundays - any ideas???

Originally Posted by comet555
My mother-in-law is coming to visit for the month of December. This means my husband and I will have a much needed long weekend away from the kids.

We are going up to the Whitsundays area around Dec 7-9th. We're hoping to fly up Thursday night and return to Brisbane on early evening.

We were thinking about trying one of the islands and maybe catching a tour of the great barrier reef. Other than that I'm just starting to research the whole thing.

Also, can you swim in the ocean there in December? Might be a stupid question I just thought I read something jellyfish or something.
Hamilton Island is excellent - we went in early November a few years ago - lots of boat trips across to the other islands , you hire a buggy to drive around. But it will be jelly fish season then so take care in the water. We went to a place of the reef - close to whitehaven beach and snorkelled. The fish are awesome
Old Sep 27th 2007, 1:18 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

If I was going to the Whitsundays, I would probably base myself in Airlie Beach, which is the gateway to many of the islands (Hamilton, Heyman, Daydream, South Molle, etc), and just go on the various day trips, great barrier reef, etc. It will also be a lot cheaper than staying on one of the islands.
Old Sep 27th 2007, 1:28 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

We might stay at on the mainland too, we're undecided yet. We'll actually only be there for about 3 days and nights so it doesn't matter if it's a little more expensive.

This is the first real trip we've been on alone since we got married 5 years ago. We didn't even go on a honeymoon since my husband only had about 5 days off from work. So I'm not as concerned about spending a little extra. We certainly won't be staying in a 5 star resort though, we just want to be able to relax a little bit for the weekend.
Old Sep 27th 2007, 4:14 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

virgin blue have a special just now Brissy to Mackay $89 each way
Old Sep 27th 2007, 4:18 am
Canuck/Aussie

Originally Posted by biggy
virgin blue have a special just now Brissy to Mackay $89 each way
Thanks I'll check that out.
Old Sep 27th 2007, 4:55 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sassie
If I was going to the Whitsundays, I would probably base myself in Airlie Beach, which is the gateway to many of the islands (Hamilton, Heyman, Daydream, South Molle, etc), and just go on the various day trips, great barrier reef, etc. It will also be a lot cheaper than staying on one of the islands.
Yup, Airlie Beach is cool, went up there for a long-weekend earlier in the year (April) and the atmosphere was very good.

Went out to the Reef to one of those there Fantasea floating platform things ... helicoptered out (departs just south of Airlie) and cruised back, ahhhhh, dat's the life ...

Old Sep 28th 2007, 3:47 am
Canuck/Aussie

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
Yup, Airlie Beach is cool, went up there for a long-weekend earlier in the year (April) and the atmosphere was very good.

Went out to the Reef to one of those there Fantasea floating platform things ... helicoptered out (departs just south of Airlie) and cruised back, ahhhhh, dat's the life ...

That's what we were thinking of doing. Taking some sort of cruise or boat out to the reef, and then doing a helicopter tour.

How long of a tour would you need to go over the reef? How much does that cost?
Old Sep 28th 2007, 4:25 am

gedge has disabled reputation

We might stay at on the mainland too, we're undecided yet. We'll actually only be there for about 3 days and nights so it doesn't matter if it's a little more expensive.

This is the first real trip we've been on alone since we got married 5 years ago. We didn't even go on a honeymoon since my husband only had about 5 days off from work. So I'm not as concerned about spending a little extra. We certainly won't be staying in a 5 star resort though, we just want to be able to relax a little bit for the weekend.
you could consider a couple of nights sailing round the islands
great fun and a bit different to your normal beachside holiday
get on board one of the smaller boats with say 6-8 people, you just have to bring some grog and your swimmers - i'd do it again if i could
Old Sep 28th 2007, 4:36 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

That's what we were thinking of doing. Taking some sort of cruise or boat out to the reef, and then doing a helicopter tour.

How long of a tour would you need to go over the reef? How much does that cost?
We just did a day tour which started with a helicopter out of Shute Harbour (a 15 minute bus ride from Airlie) via Hamilton Island (had to pick up a couple on the way) and the rest of the day on the viewing platform (Reefworld).

Then you get to cruise back (choppy on our day, cue lots of sick-bags for the un-seaworthy )

You get a good 5 hours on the platform and there is plenty to do there, lunch included.

It was a great experience, thoroughly recommended if you're short on time and want to get an overview.

Just had a brief surf and I think is the package:
http://www.viator.com/tours/Queensla...3HAM_REEFWORLD

$430 sounds a bit strong, I'm sure you could find it for a bit less than that.

(edit) This was whistle-stop, ideally spending more time out there would've been good (you can stay on Reefworld if you wish, limited spots though).

Cheers,
Matt
Old Sep 28th 2007, 5:22 am
A horse walks into a bar.

russmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedge
you could consider a couple of nights sailing round the islands
great fun and a bit different to your normal beachside holiday
get on board one of the smaller boats with say 6-8 people, you just have to bring some grog and your swimmers - i'd do it again if i could
Thats what we did, and I'd say that's the most relaxing thing you can do, the pics of me on that boat I have never looked so chilled! There was 8 of us and 2 crew and we had a whale of a time. You'll have to wear stinger suits that time of year cos of the jellyfish mind.
Old Oct 6th 2007, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

surreyfamily has a brilliant futuresurreyfamily has a brilliant futuresurreyfamily has a brilliant futuresurreyfamily has a brilliant futuresurreyfamily has a brilliant futuresurreyfamily has a brilliant futuresurreyfamily has a brilliant futuresurreyfamily has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by russmcp
Thats what we did, and I'd say that's the most relaxing thing you can do, the pics of me on that boat I have never looked so chilled! There was 8 of us and 2 crew and we had a whale of a time. You'll have to wear stinger suits that time of year cos of the jellyfish mind.
We are flying into Brisbane end of Jan next year and would like to do a sail around Whitsunday Islands, who did you use? I've had some prices of a cruise and these arn't to bad.. but the logistics/costs of travel to & from Brisbane and accommodation at Airlie bumps the price right up!!
br
karen
Old Oct 18th 2007, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

doub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud of

We found the Corel Sea Resort at Airlie Beach was perfect for us, our balcony jutted out over the sea - sit in the spa and watch the dolphins ....
Old Oct 18th 2007, 1:23 pm
I need a beer.....

snappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to behold

You just have to book the bubble helicopter ride out to Whitehaven beach, go early in the morning and you can have the beach to yourself then enjoy a nice bottle of champers. It was an amazing trip and has to be my number one highlight since being in Oz.
Old Oct 18th 2007, 10:09 pm
A horse walks into a bar.

russmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by surreyfamily
We are flying into Brisbane end of Jan next year and would like to do a sail around Whitsunday Islands, who did you use? I've had some prices of a cruise and these arn't to bad.. but the logistics/costs of travel to & from Brisbane and accommodation at Airlie bumps the price right up!!
br
karen

Blimey can't remember which one, we arrived in Airlie Beach and found a company at one end of the beach. I think a friend recommended it, or we used the Lonely Planet as a recommendation.

You could always book a flight from Bris then fly to Mackay, hire a car and drive to Airlie, (about 70 miles) do the cruise then drive back to Mackay for flight back to Bris. May be cheaper than staying in Airlie for a couple of nights. Jetstar fly from Bris to Mackay for about $99 each way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.