The 3 year Plan

Old Aug 28th 2008, 7:17 pm
Just Joined

Glasgow is on a distinguished road
Default The 3 year Plan

Any thoughts or tips would be great,
Electrical Building services engineer due for redundancy within the next 12-18 months, would love to try the Gold Coast for 3 years using the dundy money and keeping the house on here ( If it's that good in Oz after 3 years then we can decide if a permanent move is for us ).

I have read through all the Electrical mechanic / Fitter posts and to be honest it has spooked me a bit thinking of doing exams and studying to get a license but if needs must then so be it.

I do have experience of substations / High voltage switching / HVAC / Fire and Building management controls, could say jack of all trades master of none!
My questions are :
1. Since its only a 3 year plan (at the moment) would the 457 visa be best for us?
2. With the 457 is it just a case of applying to companies for a job that suits, then going through the relevant TRA exams?
3. Can I apply for any other type of visa when all I want initially is 3 years.
4. I realize that with a sponsored 457 I'm held by the employer, with another type of visa would I be able to do any type of work when I get over (quite fancy something new)
5. Will Celtic beat Man U in the champions league?

Thanks in advance, great site and great info.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 7:20 pm
Just Joined

hughes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The 3 year Plan

Originally Posted by Glasgow
Electrical Building services engineer due for redundancy within the next 12-18 months, would love to try the Gold Coast for 3 years using the dundy money and keeping the house on here ( If it's that good in Oz after 3 years then we can decide if a permanent move is for us ).

I have read through all the Electrical mechanic / Fitter posts and to be honest it has spooked me a bit thinking of doing exams and studying to get a license but if needs must then so be it.

I do have experience of substations / High voltage switching / HVAC / Fire and Building management controls, could say jack of all trades master of none!
My questions are :
1. Since its only a 3 year plan (at the moment) would the 457 visa be best for us?
2. With the 457 is it just a case of applying to companies for a job that suits, then going through the relevant TRA exams?
4. I realize that with a sponsored 457 I'm held by the employer, with another type of visa would I be able to do any type of work when I get over (quite fancy something new)

Hi

Not sure about the rest but HELL YEAH THE HOOPS WILL BEAT EM!

Laura
Old Aug 28th 2008, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

In Like Flynn is just really niceIn Like Flynn is just really niceIn Like Flynn is just really niceIn Like Flynn is just really niceIn Like Flynn is just really niceIn Like Flynn is just really niceIn Like Flynn is just really niceIn Like Flynn is just really niceIn Like Flynn is just really niceIn Like Flynn is just really niceIn Like Flynn is just really nice

Originally Posted by Glasgow

My questions are :

Mech Eng here - Have you tried for the Skilled Migrant Visa, takes a bit longer but definitely worth it - lots more freedom to choose between employers etc and negotiate on your terms. Try the Aus Goverment websites for details (extremely helpful and easy to follow).

3 year plan sounds good, keep the house if you can afford it. But try it out down south. Its a bit more hassle having to keep track of the house on the other side of the world but it is good security.

Hope it works out for you.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

Glasgow is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the quick response, would I be able to get the Skilled Migrant Visa if i'm being truthfully and stating that it's only for 3 years?

In fact i'll go and look it up!

nice prediction Laura
Old Aug 28th 2008, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

Moonwalker will become famous soon enoughMoonwalker will become famous soon enough

Go the Hoops on Sunday

Hail Hail