Reload this Page >

3 months.....already

3 months.....already

Old Jun 25th 2004, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

shedu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 3 months.....already

Hello Gang,

Sorry its been a while but the time has just flown by. I did try and post a few weeks ago but my computer went off-line. Thought I would update you all on our travels to Perth and say a big Thank you to all those forum members who helped out with advice.

Well we arrived in March during a late heatwave of 40 degrees. Certainly thankful that all we had to do was lounge around the pool and recover from the jetlag. I guess the first month or so was really spent just finding our way around and getting used to everything. Its only when you find yourself not knowing how to use the various services that you realised how much you take for granted in the UK. I still have no idea about the buses but am getting an expert on the trains and getting used to Perth drivers!!!

I started work in April at and am pleased to say things are going well. Hubby has not really started looking for work yet - he is concentrating on getting his golf handicap down. It amazed me just how many Brits there are working in the health service here. We out number the Aussies by 2 to 1.

We have taken our scuba diving course and found a thrilling new hobby. We even got to swim with 3 dolphins on our first dive alone (without the instructor). Truely an amazing experience.

We used PSS to move all our stuff and on the whole have been very pleased with their service. The delivery this end was delayed due to the fact that our container did not leave the UK on the ship is should have done but once it docked in Fremantle it only took a week to clear customs. They opened about 6 boxes or so and they were pretty predictable. The packers boxed up an old hoover I had not planned on bringing so had not emptied the bag or anything so imagine my surprise to notice that customs had emptied it for me!! There was a few breakages and the claim has recently been posted back to the UK so will let you know how well (or not) that end of things gets dealth with. We certainly heard some horror stories from others who were charged large amounts of money to have items cleaned - in many case the cleaning charge was more than the items were worth but I am pleased to say we had no such problems.

Its hard to know just what to tell you all really - we love it here and at this point (and I know its early days) can't imagine wanting to go back to the UK.

Just want to say a big Thank you to Dawn whose house we are renting. Its lovely, has alot of character and just so perfect for our needs. Its position in East Perth is great for getting out and about. Its only 3 stops on the train into Perth City and that is well worth exploring - I am still finding great shops that I spend hours window shopping in. (Well with only 1 salary coming in I don't want to overspend).

We are just about getting onto an even keel with my salary coming in and what we are spending. The first couple of months is alot of outgoings. I reckon we probably spent around $15,000 but about $8000 of that was on a car - we wanted something half decent and reliable. We had opened an account with the Commonwealth in the UK and that all went smoothly. However I would suggest that once here you shop around for banks that offer free banking as the bank charges do mount up if you're not careful. Being paid fortnightly is fantastic - it comes around so quick I have even forgotten a few paydays!!!

So thats about it for now - so far so good and its all positive. I admit there are some things that take a while to get used to but that is all part of the adventure. I repeat that I realise it is only 3 months we have been here and the next 9 months will probably be the ones in which reality kicks in but I hope it all goes as well as the last 3.

Good luck to you all
Shedu
Old Jun 25th 2004, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

gordys is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 3 months.....already

It's fantastic to hear such positive feedback. From looking at the Forums, it feels like every second person is Perth bound (including ourselves).
We just hear about how mad we are to be heading off to the @rse end of the world (Perth) but hey, it can't be all that bad if the Brits2Aus ratio is so high.
Old Jun 25th 2004, 3:59 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 months.....already

Originally posted by shedu
Hello Gang,

Sorry its been a while but the time has just flown by. I did try and post a few weeks ago but my computer went off-line. Thought I would update you all on our travels to Perth and say a big Thank you to all those forum members who helped out with advice.

Well we arrived in March during a late heatwave of 40 degrees. Certainly thankful that all we had to do was lounge around the pool and recover from the jetlag. I guess the first month or so was really spent just finding our way around and getting used to everything. Its only when you find yourself not knowing how to use the various services that you realised how much you take for granted in the UK. I still have no idea about the buses but am getting an expert on the trains and getting used to Perth drivers!!!

I started work in April at and am pleased to say things are going well. Hubby has not really started looking for work yet - he is concentrating on getting his golf handicap down. It amazed me just how many Brits there are working in the health service here. We out number the Aussies by 2 to 1.

We have taken our scuba diving course and found a thrilling new hobby. We even got to swim with 3 dolphins on our first dive alone (without the instructor). Truely an amazing experience.

We used PSS to move all our stuff and on the whole have been very pleased with their service. The delivery this end was delayed due to the fact that our container did not leave the UK on the ship is should have done but once it docked in Fremantle it only took a week to clear customs. They opened about 6 boxes or so and they were pretty predictable. The packers boxed up an old hoover I had not planned on bringing so had not emptied the bag or anything so imagine my surprise to notice that customs had emptied it for me!! There was a few breakages and the claim has recently been posted back to the UK so will let you know how well (or not) that end of things gets dealth with. We certainly heard some horror stories from others who were charged large amounts of money to have items cleaned - in many case the cleaning charge was more than the items were worth but I am pleased to say we had no such problems.

Its hard to know just what to tell you all really - we love it here and at this point (and I know its early days) can't imagine wanting to go back to the UK.

Just want to say a big Thank you to Dawn whose house we are renting. Its lovely, has alot of character and just so perfect for our needs. Its position in East Perth is great for getting out and about. Its only 3 stops on the train into Perth City and that is well worth exploring - I am still finding great shops that I spend hours window shopping in. (Well with only 1 salary coming in I don't want to overspend).

We are just about getting onto an even keel with my salary coming in and what we are spending. The first couple of months is alot of outgoings. I reckon we probably spent around $15,000 but about $8000 of that was on a car - we wanted something half decent and reliable. We had opened an account with the Commonwealth in the UK and that all went smoothly. However I would suggest that once here you shop around for banks that offer free banking as the bank charges do mount up if you're not careful. Being paid fortnightly is fantastic - it comes around so quick I have even forgotten a few paydays!!!

So thats about it for now - so far so good and its all positive. I admit there are some things that take a while to get used to but that is all part of the adventure. I repeat that I realise it is only 3 months we have been here and the next 9 months will probably be the ones in which reality kicks in but I hope it all goes as well as the last 3.

Good luck to you all
Shedu
Hi

Nice one, good positive feedback, that's what I like to hear. Can't wait to join you in Perth in September

Walla
Old Jun 25th 2004, 4:20 pm
maggy

Glad to hear you love perth.

We do to and have only been here 3 weeks, its fabulous.

Good luck

Mags

Old Jun 25th 2004, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

pockygoes will become famous soon enough

We are off to Perth too at the beginning of January. Great to hear an update on the first few weeks - sound like it is a good start anyway.

We have to keep looking at the photos & video's to get another fix - especially as we have been back from our trip since January.

Let us know how your claim goes anyway - what were you charged for shipping - how much stuff did you take - 20 ft or 40ft?

Am seriously considering leaving a couple of the big things ie 3 piece suite (which I hate anyway) & the boys bunk beds - thinking of buying the bunk beds that have the pull out bed underneath & the desk when I get there - I have twins & think they will be ready to have their own room by then.

Good luck & keep us informed.

pockygoes
Old Jun 25th 2004, 8:18 pm

nikkers will become famous soon enoughnikkers will become famous soon enough

Hi Shedu

How is working in OZ compared to the NHS??

Are there any differences??

are you in a similar posistion? What is the salary like?

Thanks for posting its really nice to have posts from people who

are starting out in oz

Nikki x
Old Jun 26th 2004, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Nikki,

I am working in ED in Fremantle and to be honest the general stuff is pretty much the same. I was an ENP in the UK but no such posts here yet. There are differences but its not really any different from say going from a hospital in London to Manchester.

I would say the levels of support seem much higher here than the NHS but the same problems of long waits, bed blockers and winter crisis are just as real here. They do have targets here but they are not quite as ritualistic about them ( if that makes sense). They do tend to put patient care first and worry about targets later. The other big thing I noticed is the nurse to patient ratio - the numbers on a shift seem to be alot more and the most I have had to look after is 3-4 pts. I feel I have more time here to do those things that just never got done in London because there was never the time.

My take home pay is about $1800 per fortnight. I love being paid every 2 weeks - it comes round so quick. I suppose the pay is more or less the same as the UK once you make the adjustments. You learn real quick to stop working out how much things cost in £s once you start earning dollars.

Hope that answers all your questions - I'm happy to answer any more or help where I can.

Regards
Shedu

Originally posted by nikkers
Hi Shedu

How is working in OZ compared to the NHS??

Are there any differences??

are you in a similar posistion? What is the salary like?

Thanks for posting its really nice to have posts from people who

are starting out in oz

Nikki x
Old Jun 26th 2004, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

windsurfer uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Nikki,

I am working in ED in Fremantle and to be honest the general stuff is pretty much the same. I was an ENP in the UK but no such posts here yet. There are differences but its not really any different from say going from a hospital in London to Manchester.

I would say the levels of support seem much higher here than the NHS but the same problems of long waits, bed blockers and winter crisis are just as real here. They do have targets here but they are not quite as ritualistic about them ( if that makes sense). They do tend to put patient care first and worry about targets later. The other big thing I noticed is the nurse to patient ratio - the numbers on a shift seem to be alot more and the most I have had to look after is 3-4 pts. I feel I have more time here to do those things that just never got done in London because there was never the time.

My take home pay is about $1800 per fortnight. I love being paid every 2 weeks - it comes round so quick. I suppose the pay is more or less the same as the UK once you make the adjustments. You learn real quick to stop working out how much things cost in £s once you start earning dollars.

Hope that answers all your questions - I'm happy to answer any more or help where I can.

Regards
Shedu
We are hoping to move to Perth by nov/dec,my wife is a speech therapist (called speech pathologist over there I believe) and was wondering what the pay was like.She is experienced at a senior level and also a makaton sign language teacher.

Many thanks in advance,
Mark
Old Jun 26th 2004, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

JIVEBABE has a brilliant futureJIVEBABE has a brilliant futureJIVEBABE has a brilliant futureJIVEBABE has a brilliant futureJIVEBABE has a brilliant futureJIVEBABE has a brilliant future

Hi Nikki,

Regards
Shedu
Great to hear you are happy and doing well. I was just wondering if you found a bank that did not charge you bank charges? We too are heading to Perth sometime this year (I hope, house sold but no visa yet) and it will save us hunting around when we arrive!

Thanks Jivebabe
Old Jun 27th 2004, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by windsurfer uk
We are hoping to move to Perth by nov/dec,my wife is a speech therapist (called speech pathologist over there I believe) and was wondering what the pay was like.She is experienced at a senior level and also a makaton sign language teacher.

Many thanks in advance,
Mark
Hi Mark,

I can't answer off the top of my head about the pay scales for speech therapists but will try and find out next week for you.

Regards
Old Jun 27th 2004, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by JIVEBABE
Great to hear you are happy and doing well. I was just wondering if you found a bank that did not charge you bank charges? We too are heading to Perth sometime this year (I hope, house sold but no visa yet) and it will save us hunting around when we arrive!

Thanks Jivebabe
I have found the Police & Nurses Credit Union to offer a good range of financial services from banking to medical insurance. They also do a current account that has a visa debit card which I found to be very useful. We did not want to get a credit card but that made it difficult to buy things over the phone and internet so the visa debit is great for that. I'm not really sure about the others but you do get 15 free transactions a month with the Commonwealth.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.
Old Jun 27th 2004, 5:12 pm
Just Joined

lizmiller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hi Adele

hi Adele,
we are still waiting for our visas, but have booked our flights and arrive on 17/07/04. I start at work mid August!!!! Just really need that visa.
We have let our house and handed our notice in at work, so now I really have chest pain!!!
I will email you this week.
Great to hear everything is well with you.
Lots of love
Liz
Old Jun 27th 2004, 6:32 pm
Go Banana's !!

Great to hear you love it as we have just 2 weeks and 3 days 'til we go forth:scared: :scared:

Hope it continues to go well

Jill

Old Jun 29th 2004, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

Many thanks in advance,
Mark
Hello again Mark,

I spoke to one of the speech therapists today and she said if your wife is senior clinical as opposed to senior managment she could expect to earn around $26 an hour. She also gave me the following web address for the Australia Association of Speech Therapits and suggested you look there to get more info. Hope this is useful for you.

www.spaaustralia.com.au

Bye for now
Old Jun 29th 2004, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

Many thanks in advance,
Mark
Hello again Mark,

I spoke to one of the speech therapists today and she said if your wife is senior clinical as opposed to senior managment she could expect to earn around $26 an hour. She also gave me the following web address for the Australia Association of Speech Therapits and suggested you look there to get more info. Hope this is useful for you.

www.spaaustralia.com.au

Bye for now

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.