Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

25% on a pack of smokes!!!

25% on a pack of smokes!!!

Old Apr 29th 2010, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

fairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud of
Default 25% on a pack of smokes!!!

Just read that smokes are going up by 25% at midnight.

I love the way they say it will stop people from starting the habit and help others quit. If they were that worried about smokers health they would ban the damn things altogether. But we all know that will never happen as they would loose billions on tax.

Anyway rant over time to go on the roll ups!!!!

Paddy
Old Apr 29th 2010, 2:47 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: 25% on a pack of smokes!!!

Originally Posted by fairwayskid
Just read that smokes are going up by 25% at midnight.
To be more precise: the tax on cigarettes is going up by 25%.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

oxford_lad has a brilliant futureoxford_lad has a brilliant futureoxford_lad has a brilliant futureoxford_lad has a brilliant futureoxford_lad has a brilliant futureoxford_lad has a brilliant future
Default Re: 25% on a pack of smokes!!!

What are the prices of smokes in Oz...

B&H here are now £6.20+ for 20!!!
Old Apr 29th 2010, 3:04 pm
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oxford_lad

Before tomorrows price increase a pack of 25 B & H in the supermarket are about $12 and about $14.50 in the servo

Time to quit I reckon
Old Apr 29th 2010, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

fairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by oxford_lad

I smoke superkings and they will be $10.20 now

Paddy
Old Apr 29th 2010, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by perksy
Before tomorrows price increase a pack of 25 B & H in the supermarket are about $12 and about $14.50 in the servo

Time to quit I reckon
Might be time to get the champix tabs

Paddy
Old Apr 29th 2010, 3:06 pm
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute

Might be time to get the champix tabs

Paddy
Been toying with the idea for a few weeks now, but I do enjoy a good smoke
Old Apr 29th 2010, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by perksy
Been toying with the idea for a few weeks now, but I do enjoy a good smoke
I am the same love my smokes but doc keeps pushing them at me. How long do you think we will last????

Paddy
Old Apr 29th 2010, 3:40 pm
Cad and bounder

I am the same love my smokes but doc keeps pushing them at me. How long do you think we will last????

Paddy
I have a boozy weekend planned and have a stash of duty frees still to get through. I reckon I'll be out of fags by next week, so I think an appointment to see the quack on monday could be in order.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

POW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nice

Just a "smoke screen" to hide from his failed Environmental Trading Scheme. The only people who will really hurt with this extra Tax burden will be the lower income bracket.

To say people will give up their smoking habit because of a price hike is a load of rubbish. I know smokers who will forego meals in order to buy there next packet of smokes. As for the kids, they will smoke whether the price of a packet of smokes is $10 or $20.

The arrogance of this Kevin Rudd is unbelievable. He will be reminded by the people at the next polls who actually runs the country. He is just allowed to be at the helm for a period of time.

By the way, I am a reformed smoker who actually loved smoking. I only gave up because my wife hated the smell of the things. It had nothing to do with the price.

Barney
Old Apr 29th 2010, 8:38 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by POW148
Just a "smoke screen" to hide from his failed Environmental Trading Scheme. The only people who will really hurt with this extra Tax burden will be the lower income bracket.

To say people will give up their smoking habit because of a price hike is a load of rubbish. I know smokers who will forego meals in order to buy there next packet of smokes. As for the kids, they will smoke whether the price of a packet of smokes is $10 or $20.

The arrogance of this Kevin Rudd is unbelievable. He will be reminded by the people at the next polls who actually runs the country. He is just allowed to be at the helm for a period of time.

By the way, I am a reformed smoker who actually loved smoking. I only gave up because my wife hated the smell of the things. It had nothing to do with the price.

Barney
On the plus side of things, you will be around longer to remind your wife of that I too am a former smoker, although years on I cannot stand the smell of smoke and have become intolerant to it if I'm honest.

More tax on cigarettes to pay for healthcare ? Sounds just fine to me I'm afraid. Which is a shame. I usually hate Rudd and this move is one isolated case when I applaud him.

I disagree with your comment that nobody will give up because of price. My deceased mother in law gave up a year before she passed away aged 60 in '09 from, ironically, emphysema. She did so not because she wanted to give up, she was staunchly a smoker and enjoyed it, but the price meant that she felt the time had come to spend that money elsewhere in her retirement.

She was a not a poor woman, it merely made her consider it to be folly.

I agree that some will find the money no matter what, such is the sad nature of substance addiction, however what else can any government reasonably do to release society of the burden of the cost to health care of smoking and encourage the cultural shift toward smoking being more unacceptable to the young.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of

I have a vague recollection that a year or so ago opposition suggested increase of this tax to pay for something and KRudd & Co said it's a nonsense.

4 months since I have quit
Old Apr 29th 2010, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

I was a smoker and couldn't quit for love nor money, I just had no will power. Went to a hypnotist and I haven't smoked since! Been nearly 3 years now
Old Apr 29th 2010, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of

Hypnotist for me as well.
At 130$ money well spent.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 10:22 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Louiseh86
I was a smoker and couldn't quit for love nor money, I just had no will power. Went to a hypnotist and I haven't smoked since! Been nearly 3 years now
I found that a severe bout of flu did the trick... and it was free as well.

...and on the real plus side it means I can now laugh really loudly at Liverpool being put out of Europe without starting to cough afterwards.

Last edited by iamthecreaturefromuranus; Apr 29th 2010 at 10:25 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.