Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

23 yr old F moving to perth on own .... what on earth am I getting myself into !!

23 yr old F moving to perth on own .... what on earth am I getting myself into !!

Old May 16th 2008, 6:29 pm
Just Joined

amt383 is just really niceamt383 is just really niceamt383 is just really niceamt383 is just really niceamt383 is just really niceamt383 is just really niceamt383 is just really niceamt383 is just really nice
Default 23 yr old F moving to perth on own .... what on earth am I getting myself into !!

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has any tips/reccomendations .... Flights all booked for the 20th July, first months accomm sorted by my sponsoring company, about 2 days to find a house when I get there!!!!

Any ideas where to look? Definitely feeling the love for the beach ... wage will allow me to get a pretty nice place so basically trying to figure out the nicest beachside suburbs reasonably close to the city.... heard good things about Cottesloe and Fremantle, is Scarborough totally tourist-dominated or do ppl actually live there too??

Cheers in advance!!

Amy
Old May 16th 2008, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

mancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to all
Default Re: 23 yr old F moving to perth on own .... what on earth am I getting myself into !!

Originally Posted by amt383
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has any tips/reccomendations .... Flights all booked for the 20th July, first months accomm sorted by my sponsoring company, about 2 days to find a house when I get there!!!!

Any ideas where to look? Definitely feeling the love for the beach ... wage will allow me to get a pretty nice place so basically trying to figure out the nicest beachside suburbs reasonably close to the city.... heard good things about Cottesloe and Fremantle, is Scarborough totally tourist-dominated or do ppl actually live there too??

Cheers in advance!!

Amy
I can't comment on Perth Amy, but good luck to you....it's a very brave thing to do on your own!
Old May 16th 2008, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

littlemiss will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 23 yr old F moving to perth on own .... what on earth am I getting myself into !!

Originally Posted by mancfamily
I can't comment on Perth Amy, but good luck to you....it's a very brave thing to do on your own!
I agree, it is a very brave thing to do on your own, but you go girl!! Hopefully in a few hours the Ozzies will be on here and will pass on useful info!! x
Old May 16th 2008, 11:17 pm
Forum Regular

divaboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck , totally different but , I'm coming to Oz in jan on a WHV on my own and i'm nervous. So good on you for moving lock stock and all that
Old May 16th 2008, 11:58 pm
kopites are gobshites

this charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to behold

cottesloe nice but expensive,scarborough a concrete jungle and full of flies during summer,fremantle is ok in parts but rough at night. If moneys no problem(!) try Trigg or a nice apartment on Hay street in the city,? Youre never too far from a beach in Perth(if you have wheels!). GOOD LUCK..............
Old May 17th 2008, 2:10 am
Forum Regular

noggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to all

im living on the outskirts of freo and its fine...nightlife..northbridge.....then miles and miles...freo....the city...the rest is a cemetary..zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old May 17th 2008, 2:17 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Cheers in advance!!

Amy
Good for you...you go girl. I have a 23 yr old daughter who lives in Toronto...we've always encouraged her to do and see as much as she can while she's young and single. Afterall you can always go home...home will always be there waiting for you. Good luck.
Old May 17th 2008, 5:16 am
Forum Regular

confuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really nice

Hi all,

Cheers in advance!!

Amy

I'm a local "born and bred", and i would choose freo in a heartbeat. Spent 10 years (on and off) at uni there and i loveeeeeeee it. Cott is lovely but expensive. I know ill prob get flamed but io dont like scarborogh... its kinda "had it's day" if you get my drift.

PM me if you want any "local info"
Old May 17th 2008, 10:25 am
Just Joined

amt383 is just really niceamt383 is just really niceamt383 is just really niceamt383 is just really niceamt383 is just really niceamt383 is just really niceamt383 is just really niceamt383 is just really nice

Thanks everyone for all the advice ..... just trying to have a little bit of a clue about things before I head over....

In an ideal world I'd love to be within 5 mins bike ride from the beach, but also somewhere theres a pub or two to be sociable in the weekend....don't want to end up somewhere totally dead!!

I will investigate Trigg more I think, so do people reckon Cottesloe fits the bill, is there stuff to do there other than the beach??

Amy
Old May 17th 2008, 10:47 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya, I immigrated on my own too - at the ripe old age of 22. It was a very long time ago though!

Personally I think Trigg is too far out from the main hussle and bussle.

For convenience definitely Freo. I loved it there and trains etc are easy into the city.

If money object then Cottesloe would be great but again its hasnt got the variety like you;d get in Perth.

You'll be fine here, it takes awhile on your own but definitely worth it.
Old May 17th 2008, 12:22 pm
Heather

hbaggaley is an unknown quantity at this point

We Live in Joondalup - loads of night life as the uni is full of people wanting to have fun. Shopping centre on the doorstep, beaches short way away, trains connections, everything for the person who wants a socials life.

Heather B
Old May 17th 2008, 12:23 pm
Heather

hbaggaley is an unknown quantity at this point

We Live in Joondalup - loads of night life as the uni is full of people wanting to have fun. Shopping centre on the doorstep, beaches short way away, trains connections, everything for the person who wants a socials life.

Heather B
Old May 18th 2008, 1:33 am
kopites are gobshites

this charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to behold

and the in(famous) Old Bailey pub,perchance a reason NOT to move to Joondalup?
Old May 18th 2008, 1:39 am
kopites are gobshites

p.s. if somebody else was paying,how high up would Joondalup be on your "must live" list?
Old May 18th 2008, 10:53 am

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally I think Trigg is too far out from the main hussle and bussle.

.[/QUOTE]
Ah come on now EvannTel,hussle and bussle

Last edited by ukecadet; May 18th 2008 at 10:56 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.