23 out of 25

Old Jul 21st 2010, 8:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold
Default 23 out of 25

I thought the title would make you take a look
Apparently Australia as 23 out of the 25 most dangerous snakes in the world, have any of you actually met any in your back gardens or out in the parks at all?
Old Jul 21st 2010, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

mvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to all
Default Re: 23 out of 25

Not to mention Box jelly fish, Red black spiders, Crocodiles or sharks. But I know where I rather be.

Oz
Old Jul 21st 2010, 9:01 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by deb68
Apparently Australia as 23 out of the 25 most dangerous snakes in the world, have any of you actually met any in your back gardens or out in the parks at all?
Yep, red belly blacks on a regular basis.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 9:29 pm
Just Joined

wapping is just really nicewapping is just really nicewapping is just really nicewapping is just really nicewapping is just really nicewapping is just really nicewapping is just really nicewapping is just really nicewapping is just really nicewapping is just really nicewapping is just really nice

Why do people watch these shows on tv and think every Australian is living in fear of its wildlife.
I have lived in Melbourne since 1973 and have seen near my house :
a mouse -a rat-Possum-fruit bat.
When we first moved in at the back of the garage were some old flower pots
living inside were a family of red back spiders.
Quick spray with fly killer as they staggered out squash under shoe.
Just wear garden gloves when weeding.
I think you have more chance of scratching up the jackpot on a scratch
card than bumping into a snake in your backyard in Melbourne.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 9:37 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wapping
Why do people watch these shows on tv and think every Australian is living in fear of its wildlife.
I have lived in Melbourne since 1973 and have seen near my house :
a mouse -a rat-Possum-fruit bat.
When we first moved in at the back of the garage were some old flower pots
living inside were a family of red back spiders.
Quick spray with fly killer as they staggered out squash under shoe.
Just wear garden gloves when weeding.
I think you have more chance of scratching up the jackpot on a scratch
card than bumping into a snake in your backyard in Melbourne.
...and that's Melbourne. This last year I have had two snakes in the garden, redbacks abound all Summer long on the fencing, I've had scorpions walk across the front room while I'm watching TV, huntsmen are regular visitors, my North facing house wall looks more like one gigantic collection of paper wasp nests by the end of Summer.... and I don't live in the bush in Woop Woop.

Not all of Australia is like Melbourne.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

No snakes, but I went down to my garage one day and opened the door up, something caught my eye just above me so I looked up and just above my nose living on the inside of the garage door was a red back spider. Didn't bother me that much actually, left me alone so I left it alone.

The thing that freaked me out the most was when we moved in to our first property in Sydney. Had only been there for a week and I decided to get to grips with the garden which had become over grown. I dived in to the deep weeds with my hands and there all of a sudden looking back at me was a great big blue tongue lizard, totally harmless of course, but being new to Australia it was not the sort of thing I was used to seeing. I staggered backwards and fell on my ***se, I then jumped up and went running inside to get my wife to sort it out My wife being Australian and used to these monsters just laughed for ages

I have come to appreciate blue tongue lizards now, it is a very good sign if you have one in your garden, my wife used to leave food out for it, they got on really well. But there was always a distrustful stand off between me and that lizard Would always get in places to make me jump
Old Jul 21st 2010, 10:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Snakes? not in the garden (recently anyway) but less than 1km away up the local bush tracks then yes, red bellied blacks and browns quite common. Spiders - redbacks are endemic especially in the wood piles. Lizards in the garden - very common. We have a dragon (water dragon) that has been around for some time and we spot him every now and again.

My son lives in the bush and they have loads of snakes. One trip a few years ago we saw half a dozen red bellied blacks in a single day but that was a bit out of the ordinary.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to jinx myself now aren't I? Been here since Mar 09, not seen one snake or redback, seen 3 or 4 huntsman, a few paper wasps.

It's the ants you've got to watch out for, they're evil!
Old Jul 21st 2010, 10:34 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Not poisonous, but there's this middle aged fat man at my house who keeps wanting to show me a one-eyed trouser snake.

We really need a vomit smilie here
Old Jul 21st 2010, 11:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Not poisonous, but there's this middle aged fat man at my house who keeps wanting to show me a one-eyed trouser snake.

This was one of my wife's main concerns before coming to Australia. As you are in the UK is this a worry for you too?

If so, I can report that we have never seen a snake in five years. We have seen plenty of red backs in the garden, my wife is terrified of spiders, but she puts her gloves on, gives them a spray with something noxious, and comes back into the house with a big smile on her face.

Huntsmen spiders look scary but are harmless. Don't worry!
Old Jul 21st 2010, 11:30 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, keep the grass short in the yard is my best advice ...
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 2:24 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Incidently,

1 snake, 1 goana, 1 ekinda, heaps of spiders inc a redback nest in loft of prev house.

Currently got a rat or possum the size of a cricket ball running around in me loft, see the thing when up there over the weekend.

Last edited by PaulandNic; Jul 22nd 2010 at 2:27 am.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 2:58 am
native West Aussie

Genevieve has a brilliant futureGenevieve has a brilliant futureGenevieve has a brilliant futureGenevieve has a brilliant futureGenevieve has a brilliant futureGenevieve has a brilliant future

Yep, I have one of those as well!!!
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 5:56 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by killerhales
This was one of my wife's main concerns before coming to Australia. As you are in the UK is this a worry for you too?

If so, I can report that we have never seen a snake in five years. We have seen plenty of red backs in the garden, my wife is terrified of spiders, but she puts her gloves on, gives them a spray with something noxious, and comes back into the house with a big smile on her face.

Huntsmen spiders look scary but are harmless. Don't worry!
Um, I'm not in UK. I live north of Perth.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

ProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond repute

Australian red backed spiders are a type of 'widow' spider, of which species also exist in Europe and North America. One of the US species is actually more dangerous than the Australian one. There is a species in NZ as well.

Many Australian snakes of course are very venomous but you are highly unlikely to get bitten by one, they don't attack unprovoked and are not commonly seen unless you spend a lot of time out in the bush or in long grass. I've only seen a couple in 28 years of my life and I live in a forested/bushland area near Melbourne surrounded by grassland which is prime habitat. They exist, people do see them, they do exist near populated areas but the effect they have on the average person's life is close to zero.

The bulldog ants are another story. Many people are severely allergic to them, especially the jack jumpers which are everywhere and hard to avoid getting stung (they sting rather than bite) at least once in your life, especially if you live in bushland areas. A substantial number of people have been killed by these ants and a certain number die every year.

Other than that there is not much else that is dangerous, at least in Victoria.

I'd be a lot more worried if i lived in parts of Europe, Asia and North America that have bears, tigers, coyotes, pumas etc close to areas where people live. You can get anti venom for a snake bite but there's no cure for a mauling from a bear.

Surely Africa has the highest number of dangerous animals in the world?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.