Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

2007 to 2009 Arrivers in Australia **Please Read**

2007 to 2009 Arrivers in Australia **Please Read**

Old Jun 23rd 2009, 8:54 am
Banned

brendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of light
Default 2007 to 2009 Arrivers in Australia **Please Read**

OK,

I have been reading these forums, this forum since the back end of 2006, i joined in 2008, the beginning of 2008. To start with i was reluctant to join for a number of personal reasons. There is easily enough information available on here to help you get your visa, and make the move, without posting/joining.

I joined, i don't know why i joined. I always thought people who have time to sit and post on here, like some do, must be either very boring individuals, or have boring lives. Especially if they are now living in Australia, if you are posting on a regular basis, then is Australia that bad? I know its not, i know Australia has strengths and also weaknesses like anywahere else on this planet.

How many people on here who arrived between early 2007 and early 2009 are either thinking of returing to the UK or have made the decision to return to the UK, and why?

I think this will give some un-biased feedback as to what life is like for new arrivals, a valuable thread for people looking to make the move. As i feel some of the regular posters, the expats who have been in Australia for some time. The expats with good jobs, house with little or no mortgage, the expats with a couple of investment properties, the expats who have a great life in Australia because their timing was far better engineered by luck or by planned timing will have had it alot easier than the current flock making the move?

Mr Rover.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 9:44 am
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2007 to 2009 Arrivers in Australia **Please Read**

I'm not going to talk to you until you get rid of the silly avatar
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 9:45 am
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

Are you a journalist that can't be bothered to trail through all the other threads to find answers to that question?
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 9:55 am
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by brendarover
OK,

I joined, i don't know why i joined. I always thought people who have time to sit and post on here, like some do, must be either very boring individuals, or have boring lives. Especially if they are now living in Australia, if you are posting on a regular basis, then is Australia that bad? I know its not, i know Australia has strengths and also weaknesses like anywahere else on this planet.

How many people on here who arrived between early 2007 and early 2009 are either thinking of returing to the UK or have made the decision to return to the UK, and why?

I think this will give some un-biased feedback as to what life is like for new arrivals, a valuable thread for people looking to make the move. As i feel some of the regular posters, the expats who have been in Australia for some time. The expats with good jobs, house with little or no mortgage, the expats with a couple of investment properties, the expats who have a great life in Australia because their timing was far better engineered by luck or by planned timing will have had it alot easier than the current flock making the move?

Mr Rover.
I arrived here in that time frame so read the thread only to find out you don't require a response from us happy peeps!

I can't see how a response to your question can be anything but biased! If people want to hear from people who are thinking of or who are moving back to the UK they can surely read the moving back to the uk forum. Some people come here and struggle but stay, others come loaded and leave.

If you don't have a financial cushion then now probably isn't the best time to come over unless you are sure there is a demand for your work. The only true way to find out if you will make it out here is to come and try it for yourself!

Last edited by rebnatoli; Jun 23rd 2009 at 9:56 am. Reason: typo
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

nephilim is a jewel in the roughnephilim is a jewel in the roughnephilim is a jewel in the roughnephilim is a jewel in the roughnephilim is a jewel in the rough

I suppose im still a newbie I have been here 4+ years but joined the forum in 2007,I dont post often,I dont have investment properties,I did own my house outright in Adelaide,sold and moved state to Qld as I didnt settle ,moved to Samford 2008 went into a rental with family decided to rent to see how we feel,my husband has a secure job,which is good but goes away alot,which in our family is a big compromise.We just feel we have gone backwards not finacially,but just in everyday things,we are going back to the uk to begin living again,nothing to do with how much money you have or houses you own as if you really want to go back to the uk you would. z
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 11:28 am
ABCDiamond

Another question might be, how many of the 303,107 permanent migrants that arrived here in 2007 and 2008 are returning to their homes ?

And how many of the 644,380 that also arrived in those 2 years, on long term visitor visa's such as the 457's, are returning to their homes ?

How many come on the forums, and how many never bother...

Old Jun 23rd 2009, 11:39 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: 2007 to 2009 Arrivers in Australia **Please Read**

I think this is a good idea for a thread, and I'll be interested to read the replies.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Dolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of light

We arrived in February 2008, love it here and could not imagine moving back to UK (where I am from) or Ireland where OH is from.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 12:28 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

We arrived on a 457 we will be going back instead of doing PR due to me having an accident and not being able to pass the medical for PR now.

I also find it hard to cope with the very blatant discrimination against deaf people in my locality on day to day basis
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 1:01 pm
Account Closed

Funky Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there.

I am going back to the U.K for a visit soon and we will see how we feel, we have not been here that long though. We are pretty level headed and will hopefully not get caught up in it all. My Mrs really likes it here and I do like it but I feel my life is much worse here but there are others to consider.

I am in construction and have been busy since I got here although it was a little patchy at the start but I was new. I have been flat out since and I work like a twat just to earn a wage, I have worked for some other firms and it is the same. I think it's timing, if we came a few years ago we would be here with a paltry morgtage so I would not need to work as hard to pay rent here (we still have our U.K house) so that would solve the problem, life is full of "what if's" so thats life.

I have virtually no time for anything other than work and as a family we do less here so I think what's the point of being here.I also miss my family and friends as we are both from big close families and have no one here. Not always but the people who seem to settle the best usually have family here and I think that makes a big difference.

I am not bitter and sorry if I sound down I am just saying how it is for me and we are all in different situations

Last edited by Funky Monkey; Jun 23rd 2009 at 1:34 pm.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 1:30 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asher
We arrived on a 457 we will be going back instead of doing PR due to me having an accident and not being able to pass the medical for PR now.

I also find it hard to cope with the very blatant discrimination against deaf people in my locality on day to day basis
Sorry to hear that Asher. Hope you're ok.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 1:40 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

We arrived in March 08 with very little savings and no equity.

We both have jobs now, have a large mortgage and some good friends.

There are things I dislike about Perth but you learn to accept these things just as you would anywhere.

It's not the UK in the sun, it doesnt have the history, it doesnt have the same shops.

The country is different, the people are different and the whole lifestyle is different - same as any country really.

We have no plans to return to the UK, in fact the thought makes me feel quite uncomfortable.

Perth is our home now, but it took a while to get there.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 1:56 pm
Account Closed

Funky Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
We arrived in March 08 with very little savings and no equity.

We both have jobs now, have a large mortgage and some good friends.

There are things I dislike about Perth but you learn to accept these things just as you would anywhere.

It's not the UK in the sun, it doesnt have the history, it doesnt have the same shops.

The country is different, the people are different and the whole lifestyle is different - same as any country really.

We have no plans to return to the UK, in fact the thought makes me feel quite uncomfortable.

Perth is our home now, but it took a while to get there.
Thats a very good feel good post and touches on what someone said on earlier about how money does not always matter.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 8:48 pm

dinner-dash is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brendarover
Would this be a better option?
<<snip>>

I bet there is a few of them in Oz?
i wondered where my mother got to
Old Jun 24th 2009, 12:42 am
Forum Regular

jsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by rebnatoli
I arrived here in that time frame so read the thread only to find out you don't require a response from us happy peeps!

I can't see how a response to your question can be anything but biased! If people want to hear from people who are thinking of or who are moving back to the UK they can surely read the moving back to the uk forum. Some people come here and struggle but stay, others come loaded and leave.

If you don't have a financial cushion then now probably isn't the best time to come over unless you are sure there is a demand for your work. The only true way to find out if you will make it out here is to come and try it for yourself!
I totally agree with this post! How can someone who has decided to return to the uk ( because they are unhappy in aus) give an unbiased opinion of aus?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.