Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

20 mins on train to brisbane CBD

Wikiposts

20 mins on train to brisbane CBD

Old Jan 3rd 2009, 3:26 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 20 mins on train to brisbane CBD

Originally Posted by Grayling
As someone mentioned earlier even if you live in the close suburbs, unless you are a short walk from the station it can be a problem getting to the train in the first place.

I live near to Mount Coot-tha in West Toowong.....it takes about 20-30 minutes to walk to the station. Parking anywhere near the station is a nightmare. There is a bus from just up the road but, if you are going to use the bus to get to the station then you may as well stay on the bus a bit longer and get to town that way.

The city cat runs from the Regatta but that is close to the rail station so same problems.

G
One thing too which people often don't appreciate till they have to do it is the humidity/heat combined with the walk to the station. I know I never really appreciated it til I had to start doing it. A 25 minute walk to the station back home never worried me. A 25 minute walk to my nearest station here, at 5.30am in 30 degree heat and 90% humidity, such as I had to do the other morning, nearly kills me. Its something I wouldn't want to do every day and it measn you turn up at work shattered before you start.
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 5:25 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
One thing too which people often don't appreciate till they have to do it is the humidity/heat combined with the walk to the station. I know I never really appreciated it til I had to start doing it. A 25 minute walk to the station back home never worried me. A 25 minute walk to my nearest station here, at 5.30am in 30 degree heat and 90% humidity, such as I had to do the other morning, nearly kills me. Its something I wouldn't want to do every day and it measn you turn up at work shattered before you start.
The advantage of areas like this is that we have a choice of several buses to the city. The journey is about 20 minutes.

As we are near the Toowong depot they are usually pretty empty.

I would have thought that the bus would be a viable option from most of the inner suburbs.

G
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 6:15 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

We live fairly far from the city and my husband walks 5 min to his bus stop and then rides for 35 minutes on the bus. Not too bad a commute and a lot more affordable housing. Works for us, and the commute isn't too bad.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 2:09 am
Just Joined

leekylou is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone.

It has been a great help. We are fortunate enough to be able to go upto $600 a week rent although ideally we would like to spend a lot less. I think we would prefer to live outside of the city but not too far. I don't ask for much honestly

We will be shipping most of our furniture over and therefore we will be looking for temp. furnished accommodation for the first few weeks/months. Any suggestions, we will be happy in a one-bed or even a studio to begin with.

How long does it usually take to ship goods over from the UK? haven't been able to find out much on the net about this.

L xx
Old Jan 4th 2009, 7:30 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leekylou
Thanks everyone.

It has been a great help. We are fortunate enough to be able to go upto $600 a week rent although ideally we would like to spend a lot less. I think we would prefer to live outside of the city but not too far. I don't ask for much honestly

We will be shipping most of our furniture over and therefore we will be looking for temp. furnished accommodation for the first few weeks/months. Any suggestions, we will be happy in a one-bed or even a studio to begin with.

How long does it usually take to ship goods over from the UK? haven't been able to find out much on the net about this.

L xx
Shipping is somewhere between 7 and 12 weeks depending how quick it is to get on the ship, how long the customs queue is here (2-7 weeks ) and how long b4 they can find a local firm to deliver it.