Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

2 yrs to 3 yrs - oh no

2 yrs to 3 yrs - oh no

Old Sep 10th 2005, 9:26 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold
Default 2 yrs to 3 yrs - oh no

Anyone having serious 2nd thoughts about going to Oz if this change to citizenship goes through ?

I have a young family and we were planning to do the 2 year thing , get citizenship, and then review things to see if we stayed or returned to the UK.

Not only is 3 years a big increase mentally but after 2 years our son would have been 5 1/2 so whatever discission we make would not have disrupted his education too much. But after 3 years he'd be 6 and it would start to impact his education.

Anyone have similar concerns ?
Old Sep 10th 2005, 9:31 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 yrs to 3 yrs - oh no

Originally Posted by BAY
Anyone having serious 2nd thoughts about going to Oz if this change to citizenship goes through ?

I have a young family and we were planning to do the 2 year thing , get citizenship, and then review things to see if we stayed or returned to the UK.

Not only is 3 years a big increase mentally but after 2 years our son would have been 5 1/2 so whatever discission we make would not have disrupted his education too much. But after 3 years he'd be 6 and it would start to impact his education.

Realistically - if you're committed to a new life in Australia, the extra year ought not to make a difference.

I'm not sure if DIMIA or the Minister really like the idea of people coming just for 2 years specifically to get citizenship.

They certainly didn't like the idea in New Zealand, which is why they pushed it up from three years to five.

Jeremy
Old Sep 10th 2005, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BAY

The only concern I have is that too many people seem to be taking citizenship for the wrong reasons. Before doing so you should have a commitment to the country and not just take it for personal convenience. This is why I'd like to see the residency increased by more than one year.
Old Sep 10th 2005, 9:36 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JAJ
Realistically - if you're committed to a new life in Australia, the extra year ought not to make a difference.

I'm not sure if DIMIA or the Minister really like the idea of people coming just for 2 years specifically to get citizenship.

They certainly didn't like the idea in New Zealand, which is why they pushed it up from three years to five.

Jeremy
Fair comment ... but when you have a young family you have to think very carefully.
Old Sep 10th 2005, 9:39 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gibbo
The only concern I have is that too many people seem to be taking citizenship for the wrong reasons. Before doing so you should have a commitment to the country and not just take it for personal convenience. This is why I'd like to see the residency increased by more than one year.
It's a fair point. However to go beyond 4 years would be too long and would make it less likely that immigrants would integrate and see themselves as "Australian".

Jeremy
Old Sep 10th 2005, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

Storini will become famous soon enoughStorini will become famous soon enough

My concern is over getting the necessary RRV if you haven't moved within the allowed grace period and acquired enough days on Oz soil. If there's a general crack-down on on visas I'd see it as almost inevitable that getting an RRV would become more difficult, with more proof required.

Has anyone out there acquired an RRV recently? How easy was it? What evidence did you have to produce?
Old Sep 10th 2005, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

NIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really nice

Originally Posted by BAY

Hello

If your intention is to leave shortly after gaining citizenship you may wish to read the citizenship website about checking your eligibility.

The site reference is http://www.citizenship.gov.au/how.htm#step1

To be eligible you must be able to answer yes to a series of questions, including; Do you intend to live in, or maintain a close and continuing association with Australia?

If your answer to this is really no are you prepared to sign a legal document saying yes? Just something you may need to think about for the future.

But, hey after getting there you may find it is the place you really want to be and stay forever. Don't let an opportunity pass you by if you think it is the right one.
Old Sep 10th 2005, 9:50 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NIGENABBY
Hello

If your intention is to leave shortly after gaining citizenship you may wish to read the citizenship website about checking your eligibility.

The site reference is http://www.citizenship.gov.au/how.htm#step1

To be eligible you must be able to answer yes to a series of questions, including; Do you intend to live in, or maintain a close and continuing association with Australia?

If your answer to this is really no are you prepared to sign a legal document saying yes? Just something you may need to think about for the future.

But, hey after getting there you may find it is the place you really want to be and stay forever. Don't let an opportunity pass you by if you think it is the right one.
It wasn't that we were definitely going to leave after getting citizenship after 2 years but it was minimum period with a goal/reward so to speak. I think it helps you to stay when afterall most people will say the 1st 2 years are tough to get through. I think a lot of people have this view ... wrongly or rightly.
Old Sep 10th 2005, 9:52 am

DIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BAY

He will only be 6 ....kiddies adjust suprisingly well with change, in fact much better than adults
Old Sep 10th 2005, 9:53 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

it will not change our decision to go. The one issue is, if Australia is not for us then it does mean the timescale for considering our position increases.

We have one child and plan to have another one within 2yrs of arriving - thus 2nd born will be a citizen whilst the rest of us will have to wait (I don't want to have one child with and the other without citizenship, as others have pointed out, that could cause friction later on).

We are going with the intention of staying, and if Sydney does not work then we should really consider another part of Oz first, thus a 3yr period can easily go by.

We found out from the other post today, and our reaction was, 'ohh well'. I have more concern telling the family it will be for at least 3yr not 2 as we have said all along.

As for education, bay, at that early age I don't think it is too mcuh of an issue. I'm sure your child will easily adjust. From my childhood moving at 10 was not too bad, but at 13 was not good having to go through the whole making friends process.
Old Sep 10th 2005, 9:55 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Storini
My concern is over getting the necessary RRV if you haven't moved within the allowed grace period and acquired enough days on Oz soil. If there's a general crack-down on on visas I'd see it as almost inevitable that getting an RRV would become more difficult, with more proof required.
There is no indication of any policy change on RRVs.

However PRs who spend a lot of time overseas may face renewed security checking at citizenship application stage. Since the start of this year, there's also a new requirement for renewed overseas police checks.

Has anyone out there acquired an RRV recently? How easy was it? What evidence did you have to produce?
If you meet the 2/5 residence requirement and it's shown in the DIMIA system (almost always the case except for those who arrived a long time ago and have not travelled since), it's normally granted "over the counter" at a DIMIA office.

If you don't meet the 2/5 residence requirement, then you need to provide evidence of meeting the requirements for an RRV on concessional grounds, as detailed in form 968i.

Jeremy
Old Sep 10th 2005, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

NIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really nice

Originally Posted by BAY
It wasn't that we were definitely going to leave after getting citizenship after 2 years but it was minimum period with a goal/reward so to speak. I think it helps you to stay when afterall most people will say the 1st 2 years are tough to get through. I think a lot of people have this view ... wrongly or rightly.
Hi

Having done this in reverse (Australian moved to UK) I have now been here for 3 1/2 years. I totally agree it is the first 12 months, the first winter, first Christmas etc that are the most difficult to get through.

I will be going back to Aus (hopefully very soon) with a new husband and two small children. After making another life for myself here I anticipate that this will be hard all over again, so I really do offer some sympathy for your predicament.

Going to Aus will offer you some enormous opportunities and challenges. I wish you luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old Sep 10th 2005, 10:00 am

amanda76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DIMO8
He will only be 6 ....kiddies adjust suprisingly well with change, in fact much better than adults

i completely agree with this comment, young children adapt really well and it would be a shame if you didnt go because of the 3 yr committment, life is all about expereice and your little boy will grow and adapt for the better because of this experience.

I do see where your coming from but having got three girls of my own and having moved a couple of times, i have found that they are better at making friends, being accepted and getting used to diiferent situations.

there are many positives from a move to oz even if you do move back to uk, but as the others have said, you may all love it!!

amanda
Old Sep 10th 2005, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
It's a fair point. However to go beyond 4 years would be too long and would make it less likely that immigrants would integrate and see themselves as "Australian".

Jeremy
Don't think that this is necessarily true. I know lots of expats who were here many years before they took citizenship and I was here many, many years before I took mine. Perhaps we had a different mind set to those who are coming now, although we were totally commited to the country after two years citizenship was the last thing on our minds.
Old Sep 10th 2005, 10:07 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Gibbo
Don't think that this is necessarily true. I know lots of expats who were here many years before they took citizenship and I was here many, many years before I took mine. Perhaps we had a different mind set to those who are coming now, although we were totally commited to the country after two years citizenship was the last thing on our minds.
It's a personal view. Others will be reluctant to see themselves as "Australian" if they want to become citizens and are forbidden from doing so.

Becoming an Australian citizen formalises one's membership of the Australian community. Many people - quite reasonably - are not prepared to fully commit to an adopted country while they are still 'foreigners'.

The Minister is quite upset by the large number of long resident British and New Zealand migrants who won't (rather than can't) become Australian citizens.

Jeremy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.