Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

2 Year Update on the Gold Coast!

2 Year Update on the Gold Coast!

Old May 23rd 2006, 1:40 am
BE Enthusiast

floweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to behold
Smile 2 Year Update on the Gold Coast!

I can harldy believe we have been here almost 2 and a half years now , it has gone so fast as it seems like yesterday we were waiting on that visa!

Ok where do I start! We had never been to Australia before but it was always the dream and we just thought lets go for it, no holiday or nothing , but we knew if we hated it or couldn't settle we could always go home! we knew it could take up to 2 years to get our PR visa (my hubby is a Joiner/carpenter) and we really didn't want to wait that long to start our dream, so we originally came on a student visa which only took 4 weeks to get, and I went to college and we applied onshore for PR as soon as we arrived through my hubbys trade which we got after 10 months.

We settled really well, got a house in Arundel, jobs, cars, my oldest daughter who is now 8 started school and after the first day never looked back, my youngest daughter who is now 6 started kindergarden, and is now in year 1, they have both lost the Scottish accent (it only comes back when their talking to our family on the phone) and are now just little Aussies, and have such a fantastic life here, everything is outdoors and there is so much to do for families, great parks with BBq's, cinema on the beach, lagoons so they can swim safely at the beaches. As soon as they come home from school they are out in the garden all year round! we have just bought a plot of land to build our first Aussie home, a house I could never have dreamed of building but it's achievable here!

But please don't come thinking everything is going to be different and an easy life, cause its just not like that unless you are coming here with a lot of money, you still have to work to afford a decent life and you do go through your up's and downs, there is still times when we get homesick and the next few weeks will be worse for us as my in laws are coming and we haven't seen them since we left! we know it's going to be so hard when they leave after their holiday but we are trying to prepare ourselves.

All in all we do have such a great life here, and we did it to give our kids a better future which they definately have, we now take so many things for granted and have to give ourselves a pinch at how lucky we really are to be here, we are living the life we had dreamed of and we have met some fantastic friends along the way some we couldn't have settled so well here without.

Life is too short not to take some chances, so go for it, and if it doesn't work out then at least you tried!

Good luck to everyone

Lisa
Old May 23rd 2006, 2:03 am
BE Enthusiast

LINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: 2 Year Update on the Gold Coast!

Well we have been here nearly 2 months now and we love it and it was the best thing we have ever done!! and the only thing i regret is not coming sooner!!lindzixx
Old May 23rd 2006, 2:38 am
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 Year Update on the Gold Coast!

WOW 2 years, i have saved your original post as inspiration

Glad you are doing so well and all the best for the future.

al and clare
Old May 23rd 2006, 3:24 am
Account Closed

ELLJAY is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by alkristensen
WOW 2 years, i have saved your original post as inspiration

Glad you are doing so well and all the best for the future.

al and clare
Hi Al n clare,
do you stay awake all night so you can catch those aussie posts first hand!!
L-j xx
Old May 23rd 2006, 3:26 am
Account Closed

ELLJAY is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by floweroscotland
I can harldy believe we have been here almost 2 and a half years now , it has gone so fast as it seems like yesterday we were waiting on that visa!

Ok where do I start! We had never been to Australia before but it was always the dream and we just thought lets go for it, no holiday or nothing , but we knew if we hated it or couldn't settle we could always go home! we knew it could take up to 2 years to get our PR visa (my hubby is a Joiner/carpenter) and we really didn't want to wait that long to start our dream, so we originally came on a student visa which only took 4 weeks to get, and I went to college and we applied onshore for PR as soon as we arrived through my hubbys trade which we got after 10 months.

We settled really well, got a house in Arundel, jobs, cars, my oldest daughter who is now 8 started school and after the first day never looked back, my youngest daughter who is now 6 started kindergarden, and is now in year 1, they have both lost the Scottish accent (it only comes back when their talking to our family on the phone) and are now just little Aussies, and have such a fantastic life here, everything is outdoors and there is so much to do for families, great parks with BBq's, cinema on the beach, lagoons so they can swim safely at the beaches. As soon as they come home from school they are out in the garden all year round! we have just bought a plot of land to build our first Aussie home, a house I could never have dreamed of building but it's achievable here!

But please don't come thinking everything is going to be different and an easy life, cause its just not like that unless you are coming here with a lot of money, you still have to work to afford a decent life and you do go through your up's and downs, there is still times when we get homesick and the next few weeks will be worse for us as my in laws are coming and we haven't seen them since we left! we know it's going to be so hard when they leave after their holiday but we are trying to prepare ourselves.

All in all we do have such a great life here, and we did it to give our kids a better future which they definately have, we now take so many things for granted and have to give ourselves a pinch at how lucky we really are to be here, we are living the life we had dreamed of and we have met some fantastic friends along the way some we couldn't have settled so well here without.

Life is too short not to take some chances, so go for it, and if it doesn't work out then at least you tried!

Good luck to everyone

Lisa
Great post Lisa,

Only been here 4 months - and we pinch ourselves - but you are right, unless you're bringing a lot of money - it's not easy.
Guess it's beans on toast for tea again tonight!
L-j
Old May 23rd 2006, 6:49 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

what a belter of a post hen, pure fandabbydozzy

really nice update and good to see the nice side of Oz for a change.
its funny i rmbr u starting out and it doesnt seem that long ago
Old May 23rd 2006, 7:03 am
one day rodders !!!

robos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond repute

thanks lisa

fantastic post mate

really inspirational to us

see you soon
jan xx
Old May 23rd 2006, 9:41 am
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck to everyone

Lisa
Fantastic post Lisa and very inspirational

Thank you for all your help and advice you've given me since we started this process
Old May 23rd 2006, 9:51 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck to everyone

Lisa

Cool post. Definitely realistic but also acting as a "doubt-erroding" post.

Thanks.
Old May 23rd 2006, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

What a lovely post. Glad you are doing so well there.
Old May 23rd 2006, 10:46 am
Bloomin' well done it!!!!

ladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck to everyone

Lisa
Thanks for the post Lisa.

Gives those still waiting a lift to hear such good things from the other side.

Long may it last.

xRachx
Old May 23rd 2006, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

Yeah good luck to you, hope it all continues to go well
Old May 23rd 2006, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

dh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud of
Smile Re: 2 Year Update on the Gold Coast!

Hiya Lisa,
Hope we will be as happy as you are 2 years down the line

Donna xxx
Old May 23rd 2006, 12:31 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Soapy told me to say it was a lovely post.......but he didn't need to as I already recognised that.

Nice one Lisa.
Glad it has worked for your family.
Old May 23rd 2006, 12:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

It's great to hear that you're all so happy and settled.

Thanks for the lovely post

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.