Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

2 weeks in Melbourne and loving it! Plus some tips!

2 weeks in Melbourne and loving it! Plus some tips!

Old Mar 11th 2004, 9:59 pm
Melbourne, St Kilda

joninoxford will become famous soon enough
Default 2 weeks in Melbourne and loving it! Plus some tips!

Hi there all,

I am currently in Blackburn, Melbourne, staying at my de facto girlfriends parent's house whilst we look for jobs. Melbourne is as nice as a remember it (came here in 1999 on a working holiday visa). Its becoming cool now, about 23 today, but the nights are quite chilly. I certainly feel happier in Oz, more laid back and more space. We have been busy, I have bought a car (Alfa Romeo 33 1987 with air conditioning for Aus$2300). Just got my Aussie driver licence today (had to take computer based test to convert UK license - very easy if you have been practicing a while - but note the odd differences about giving way at intersections.) Been to see the Bird Man (jumping off the pier into the Yarra river wearing makeshift wings and the like!) competition in Melbourne city centre and the fireworks during the Waterfest over labour day weekend (how come we so rarely have carnivals like this back in the UK? Great fun and free!).

Applied to 10+ jobs on the internet, no interviews yet but it is early days yet I guess. Joined Centrelink (government Job Centre type place). Pretty hopeless unless you are after unskilled work, and they assume your after unemployment benefits, which of course I am not and can not! They sent a letter today saying "we have acknowledged your intention to claim benefit) but my girlfriend assures me they send this to everyone who goes in and gives their details! All I said was they I was interested in any help they could give finding a job.

Got AAPT sim card from KMART for my UK mobile ($25). It runs through the Vodaphone network, but is cheaper. No problems with them, good rates.

Internet IS more expensive here, and unlimited plans are very expensive, the norm is 300mb download limits a month for broadband and dial up, and charges per MB if you go over... We are currently paying $25 a month for 300mb dial up limit, 15c per MB over, plus local call charges. There is no such thing as paying only the local call charge for internet access, here you pay for the call AND the internet service charge. This is because there are 30 cent local calls for however long you are on for, (the providers don't make any money therefore) but this bumps up the price quite a bit for the customer.

Set up a HSBC bank account in Box Hill. One big problem is that all the staff but one speak only broken English as they are native Chinese, but I managed to get my information across, writing down things where necessary! But my initial $2000 UK HSBC bankers draft deposit has got loss in their system, and they told me it was up to me to sort it out with HSBC back home in the UK. So pretty poor customer service, and a bit worrying reallly! I think the Bank of Melbourne would have been a better bet. HSBC give you 4.5% interest or thereabouts on anything over $2000, but nothing under $2000. Lots of us feel banking is a free service back home in the UK, but in Australia it is a service you pay for, with charges if you withdraw money at ATM's more than 5 times a month with HSBC for example.

Blackburn is quiet but nice, leafy and green, but about 35 mins train ride to the city centre ($5.00). Been to Torquay, about 2 hours drive past Geelong. Its a nice little beach town - a great day trip from Melbourne and at the start of the Great Ocean Road. All started going to Aussie rules football - saw Melbourne Vs Geelong at the Telstra Dome last Friday - and enjoyed it more than I thought I would, and washed down a few Carlton Light beers during the match. (game $15, beer $4!). So having fun so far, not met many people, just my girlfriend's friends and family, but that will improve with getting a job hopefully.

The Aussies are nice as ever, still get thrown by shopkeepers being very chatty (so what have you got planned the rest of the day?). But I noticed there is a intial confused look at my English accent in Blackburn at least, and one of my girlfriends Aussie mates joked that the first thing I need to do is loose my English accent!

So all in all good - it does seem the grass really is greener on the other side in my case, but I guess it depends on the quality of life you left in the UK!

I'll keep you all updated! Has WBB got his visa yet by the way?!

Last edited by joninoxford; Mar 12th 2004 at 9:29 pm.
Old Mar 12th 2004, 4:52 am
Forum Regular

chloet is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Glad to hear that youa re settling in and having a good time...Chloe
Old Mar 12th 2004, 5:30 am
Forum Regular

Fuzzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that Jon. I'll be coming over in a couple of weeks myself, so it's good to hear that you've settled in nicley
Old Mar 12th 2004, 7:45 am

nikkers will become famous soon enoughnikkers will become famous soon enough

Hi Jon

Nice post keep adding updates!

Wbb has got his Visa

Nikki
Old Mar 12th 2004, 8:22 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to Melbourne. Did you get the car from the trading post in the end?
You do know that using eftpos, cash back and the post office does not count as your 5 transactions don't you?
All the best, hope that you continue to enjoy it.
Old Mar 12th 2004, 8:42 am
Badge

Originally posted by hevs
Welcome to Melbourne. Did you get the car from the trading post in the end?
You do know that using eftpos, cash back and the post office does not count as your 5 transactions don't you?
All the best, hope that you continue to enjoy it.
With care, I don't think you end up incurring any more charges than if you were withdrawing in the UK. You learn to use the system, rather than fight it. I love my monthly interest calculated daily, though.

badge

Old Mar 12th 2004, 9:20 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

What kind of work did you do in UK ?
Old Mar 12th 2004, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

WhiteRose is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 2 weeks in Melbourne and loving it! Plus some tips!

We arrived in Melbourne on Monday evening and have had all very good experiences so far. Like you, Jon, we were reminded how friendly everyone is and what a lovely place Melbourne is.

It's been a busy, but productive week so far. The first job when we arrived was to buy a car. The first dealership we visted didn't seem interested in our business, so we quite happily just walked away. If only he knew that he had blown the easiest commission that he was ever likely to make!! Anyway, the next dealership we visited was a complete contrast, and we ended up buying a Ford Focus. It is a manual transmission, which was what we wanted, and they seem to be relatively easy to find. We picked it up yesterday, and we are really pleased with it.

The car has proved vital in travelling around looking for somewhere to live. Having to rely on public transport would make life very difficult, so we would definately recommend either buying a car early on, or at least rent one.

We have managed find a great duplex apartment in Kew. Kew is in the Inner East region, about 9km from the CBD and regarded as one of the best suburbs in the city. The real estate agent we dealt with (http://www.noeljones.com.au) was very good, and the fact that we have no jobs has not proved to be a problem - as we move in on Monday!! We made a point of taking a number of references, and proof of our bank balance, and this seemed to prove very useful.

It is true what people say about the TV - it is even worse then we remember!! We are planning to have Foxtel installed when we move into our new place, but were a bit surprised that you seem to have to sign a 24 month agreement. Does anyone know if this is correct? If it is, does anyone know if you can carry on the same agreement at a different address if you move?

All in all, we are loving it so far. There are bound to be blips along the way, but it seems that we have made the right move so far......
Old Mar 12th 2004, 10:52 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

We got Foxtel a few years ago when in rented accomodation but it was only a 12 month agreement then, it may well be 24 now. Not all areas are suitable for cable connection though so you better check what happens if you move, last thing you need is paying Foxtel a lump sum. Weve been in Melbourne almost 5 years & still love it so I hope your as happy.
Old Mar 12th 2004, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 weeks in Melbourne and loving it! Plus some tips!

Originally posted by WhiteRose
We arrived in Melbourne on Monday evening and have had all very good experiences so far. Like you, Jon, we were reminded how friendly everyone is and what a lovely place Melbourne is.

It's been a busy, but productive week so far. The first job when we arrived was to buy a car. The first dealership we visted didn't seem interested in our business, so we quite happily just walked away. If only he knew that he had blown the easiest commission that he was ever likely to make!! Anyway, the next dealership we visited was a complete contrast, and we ended up buying a Ford Focus. It is a manual transmission, which was what we wanted, and they seem to be relatively easy to find. We picked it up yesterday, and we are really pleased with it.

The car has proved vital in travelling around looking for somewhere to live. Having to rely on public transport would make life very difficult, so we would definately recommend either buying a car early on, or at least rent one.

We have managed find a great duplex apartment in Kew. Kew is in the Inner East region, about 9km from the CBD and regarded as one of the best suburbs in the city. The real estate agent we dealt with (http://www.noeljones.com.au) was very good, and the fact that we have no jobs has not proved to be a problem - as we move in on Monday!! We made a point of taking a number of references, and proof of our bank balance, and this seemed to prove very useful.

It is true what people say about the TV - it is even worse then we remember!! We are planning to have Foxtel installed when we move into our new place, but were a bit surprised that you seem to have to sign a 24 month agreement. Does anyone know if this is correct? If it is, does anyone know if you can carry on the same agreement at a different address if you move?

All in all, we are loving it so far. There are bound to be blips along the way, but it seems that we have made the right move so far......
Hi White Rose, we just left Kew. Lovely suburb to live in - make sure you try the Charcoal Grill on the Hill - on the high street, and next door to that is Dan Murphy's - the only place you'll need to go to buy wine!!

We had Foxtel for a 6 month contract initially (although we renewed for another 6 months after that) - shop around. You don't need to be tied in for 24 months. And yes, you can take Foxtel with you when you move (although there could be reconnection charges)
Old Mar 12th 2004, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the reply HiddenPaw.

How did you arrange a six month contract? Did you just phone them up and ask about it? Also, did it cost you more to have a six month contract?
Old Mar 12th 2004, 11:00 am
Just Joined

Saint Min is an unknown quantity at this point

Really good to hear positive news about Melbourne - we have just sent in our visa application and will hopefully be moving there next year under the Victoria State Nomination Scheme - hubby is a Brickie.

We have never visited before but will obviously go over before the final move.

Any tips on best suburbs/areas to avoid would be greatly appreciated. We have two teenage daughters (18 & 15) so will probably look at an inner suburb close to shops/nightlife etc. to start with.
Old Mar 12th 2004, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Saint Min
Really good to hear positive news about Melbourne - we have just sent in our visa application and will hopefully be moving there next year under the Victoria State Nomination Scheme - hubby is a Brickie.

We have never visited before but will obviously go over before the final move.

Any tips on best suburbs/areas to avoid would be greatly appreciated. We have two teenage daughters (18 & 15) so will probably look at an inner suburb close to shops/nightlife etc. to start with.
Can't tell you too much about other suburbs at the moment, but once we get more local knowledge we'll try and let you know.
Old Mar 12th 2004, 11:13 am
The Godfather

Saint, the further in towards the city you go the more it will cost you. Outer suburbs are just as good if not better & plenty of entertainment & shopping etc. There are a few suburbs probably best avoided but I better not say in case someone on here is living in them
Old Mar 12th 2004, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by WhiteRose
Thanks for the reply HiddenPaw.

How did you arrange a six month contract? Did you just phone them up and ask about it? Also, did it cost you more to have a six month contract?
Seem to remember a Foxtel rep knocking on our door and telling us about the service and free connection offer. We'd been thinking about getting it for a while so organised it there and then. (Telstra then contacted us afterwards and tried to get us to transfer our Foxtel subscription to them - but I'd had so many probs with Telstra I told them that even if they saved me $10 a month, I didn't want to give them my business.)

Just looking at paperwork - looks like we paid $50.90 per month for package that included Fox Sports. We didn't have movies. And as mentioned before, we paid no connection fee.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.