Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

2 WEEK'S IN (gold coast)

2 WEEK'S IN (gold coast)

Old Jun 29th 2005, 5:32 am
BE Enthusiast

JJL family will become famous soon enoughJJL family will become famous soon enough
Default 2 WEEK'S IN (gold coast)

Flew with singapore airlines and thought they were fantastic (in our opinion).

Landed thursday 16th june 8pm, Went to Brisbane on friday to activate bank accounts (commonwealth bank) when we had heard on the site that banks charge for everything they weren't kidding :scared: .

Saturday and Sunday went driving around looking for a vehicle, looked on the net , but we ended up going to a dealer and buying new as we thought it was better value. We got 12 months rego and the gst paid (cherokee jeep $38,000) fully comp insurance $640 .

Went to centrelink on the monday to fill out the various forms (they were'nt that very helpful). we ended up applying for the tax file numbers online, so until they come can't work yet(2 weeks from applying).

Renting a house was a nightmare, we must have covered 2000 k's trying to find a suitable house.... some that we drove to i would'nt have let an old dog stay there. Put in an application for a few houses and we even offered 6months rent up front but we still did'nt get it. We finally managed to sort out a rental for 6 months from the 5th July, Varsity Lakes (said i didn't like it but on seeing it the second time around it looks better )

Seems like this time of year (end of financial year i think) you can pick up some good deals, bought a fridge(side by side) and a front loading washing machine for $2500.

Just waiting for the furniture to go through customs hopefully we will have it by next week.Once we get the rental we can get Joe in school, had to get some sort of bill to the rental address with our name on it to prove we are in the catchment area for schooling .

That's all for now will keep you all informed

Lesley

T
Old Jun 29th 2005, 5:41 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 WEEK'S IN (gold coast)

Hi Lesley,

Just wondered why you can't work before the tax file number arrives? Being a nosy old trout.

GG

Originally Posted by JJL family
<snip>we ended up applying for the tax file numbers online, so until they come can't work yet(2 weeks from applying). <snip>
Old Jun 29th 2005, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

With regards to getting your son into school, our letting agents wrote a letter to say that we would be residing at blah, blah, blah from and this was enough for the school to enrole them.

Cheers Jo
Old Jun 29th 2005, 5:45 am
BE Enthusiast

JJL family will become famous soon enoughJJL family will become famous soon enough

We were lead to belive without the tfn we would get hammered for tax :scared:

Plus John's tools have'nt arrived yet

JOHO thanks for that
Old Jun 29th 2005, 5:48 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

I seeeeeee. You just got me worried that I'd done something I shouldn't have when I was temping. Phew!

Old Jun 29th 2005, 7:15 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

JOHO thanks for that
We asked the same question about the TFN & were told you will get put on emergency tax if yours hasn't come but instead of waiting until the end of the financial year for it back (like in UK) you get it back when you give the company your TFN.......

Claire
x
Old Jun 30th 2005, 9:38 am
Happy go Lucky

branlor5 will become famous soon enoughbranlor5 will become famous soon enough
Default welcome

hello to the jjl family ,
i just thought that i would welcome you to the gold coast we have been here for 4 months now in robina and love it!
my partner sean is a bricklayer so you have a lot in common!lol
we have a son of 5 that goes to pre school in robina!

hopfully we will be going to the meeting on the 3rd july so we might see you there ...
all the best