British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   2 questions about PR (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/2-questions-about-pr-106479/)

dave66 Jan 30th 2002 11:55 pm

Hi,

1) Can I live and work in NZ with a PR visa or do I need to get a NZ visa ?

2) Does a PR visa last 5 years ? and if so, how much time do I have to spend in Oz to keep it valid. Does the time spent in Oz have to be consecutive ?

thanks

dave66 Jan 31st 2002 10:46 pm

PR residency question ..

Will the time I have spent in Oz already on a 457 temp visa go towards validating my PR visa

dave66 Feb 4th 2002 10:43 pm

Is there anybody there ??

James Peach Feb 5th 2002 4:45 am

Please apply your brain

There are lots of people here - who do not want to waste their time on inane questions. Just do some homework first and read the widely available material circulated by the Australian and New Zealand governments regarding immigration etc.

Your question is not very specific but I assume you mean: can you live and work in NZ on an Australian PR visa? Of course not, NZ has its own immigration regime. You could however get Australian citizenship after 2 years in Australia with Australian PR and then live and work in NZ on the strength of your Australian passport.

James

dave66 Feb 5th 2002 5:49 am

Gee James thanks for your reply, I'm so grateful.

If you applied your own brain, you would find alot more inane questions than my one on this website. Go on, give it a go.

Jamie Corr Feb 5th 2002 8:36 am

Thats not true - the holder of a Australian PR visa is entitled to the issue of a NZ
Residents Permit on entry, provided he meets health and character requirements.

Hope this helps.

-Jamie

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

James Peach Feb 5th 2002 2:31 pm

OK I stand corrected and apologies for my terse tone this morning when I was suffering from a hangover, I am sorry to have been both rude and wrong. James

Below: copy of section of NZ immigration site advice:

Who does not need a Visa or Permit to work in New Zealand

You do not need a visa or permit to work in New Zealand if you are:

a New Zealand citizen or a New Zealand Resident Permit holder (to re-enter you need a current New Zealand Returning Resident Visa) or
an Australian citizen or an Australian resident who holds a current Australian resident return visa or
one of a group of people who are also exempt from the requirement to hold a Permit to be in New Zealand or
a Business visitor to New Zealand who will stay no more than three months in any one year and will only discuss and negotiate business arrangements.

dave66 Feb 5th 2002 11:02 pm

Thanks Jamie and James for the info. and the apology.
Dave.

Iny Feb 6th 2002 8:17 am

Of course you still have to spend 2 out of 5 years in Australia to renew your PR
visa. I don't know whether they make an exception for New Zealand. Also are you
eligible for New Zealand state health insurance or is Australian Medicare valid in
New Zealand (if you're on an Australian PR visa)?

Thomas Feb 6th 2002 9:34 am

Hi Iny,

Does it mean that I have to necessarily be in Australia for atleast 2 years (of the five years initially granted), to get a renewal? Or is this requirement mandatory only for the citizenship?

Iny Feb 6th 2002 2:36 pm

Also take a look at Form 968i ( http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/968i.pdf ) for
more information on RRV's

mat4man Nov 21st 2003 2:03 pm

Originally posted by davebwithane
Gee James thanks for your reply, I'm so grateful.

If you applied your own brain, you would find alot more inane questions than my one on this website. Go on, give it a go.

Alright Dave grumpy pants, I recall you've had a few hangovers in your time. One lasted three years 1992-95 !