Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

2 nurses need help - where to start.

2 nurses need help - where to start.

Old Sep 15th 2005, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

ireneb is on a distinguished road
Question 2 nurses need help - where to start.

My husband and myself are both registered mental health nurses, and are hoping to emigrate to australia. My head is buzzing with lots of information, but just need someone to tell me how to start the process.
Old Sep 15th 2005, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

purple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud of
Default Re: 2 nurses need help - where to start.

Hi there,
Try going to the working abroad threads and there is a specific one for us nurses...loads of info on there
good luck with the process
jacqui
Old Sep 15th 2005, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

nurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by s/nurse
Hi there,
Try going to the working abroad threads and there is a specific one for us nurses...loads of info on there
good luck with the process
jacqui

Hi there me and my partner Andy are both nurses we went on the ANMC website to get all the info regarding registering as nurses in OZ. All the forms can be downloaded from their website, Good luck with the process if you need anymore info send us a PM.
Old Sep 15th 2005, 9:43 pm
Don't mention the Spiders

GoingToOz has a brilliant futureGoingToOz has a brilliant futureGoingToOz has a brilliant futureGoingToOz has a brilliant futureGoingToOz has a brilliant futureGoingToOz has a brilliant future

As I am not there yet, and am still waiting for the contract, then the visa to come through - feel free to take this with a pinch of salt.

I am an RMN, and I basically emailed all the people I could find and after a few weeks of this landed an interview, then job offer with sponsorship. I did it this way as I preferred to know I had a job lined up to go to.

I am now waiting for the Nurses Board of Western Australia to OK my registration (fingers crossed x), and for the contract to come through, so I can start the visa process off.

HTH x
Old Sep 15th 2005, 10:31 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GoingToOz
I am an RMN, and I basically emailed all the people I could find and after a few weeks of this landed an interview, then job offer with sponsorship. I did it this way as I preferred to know I had a job lined up to go to.
Are they sponsoring for a temporary or a permanent visa?

If only a temporary visa, are you prepared for all the risks and hassles involved?

A good rule of thumb for nurses is to avoid temporary visas as there is almost always at least one permanent visa option available.

Jeremy
Old Sep 15th 2005, 10:45 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ireneb
My husband and myself are both registered mental health nurses, and are hoping to emigrate to australia. My head is buzzing with lots of information, but just need someone to tell me how to start the process.
One of the first places you will need to go is to the DIMIA website, which will tell you about all the different types of visa you can go for.

http://www.immi.gov.au/

As nurselindsey mentioned, you will also need to look at the ANMC website as they have a lot of advice on what you need to do also.

http://www.anmc.org.au/

Which State are you thinking of going to, as you will need to go to the particular website of the place you want to live, so you can register with the Nurses Board also.

If you need any more in depth info you're welcome to PM me,

Tia
Old Sep 16th 2005, 5:38 pm
Don't mention the Spiders

GoingToOz has a brilliant futureGoingToOz has a brilliant futureGoingToOz has a brilliant futureGoingToOz has a brilliant futureGoingToOz has a brilliant futureGoingToOz has a brilliant future

Hi JAJ, and thanks for your concern.

I am probably one of the few people that a 457 suits! I am single, with no dependents and require a job to go to. Once I have my foot in the door, so to speak, then with my nursing background I can start the PR process off, and hopefully be in a position to secure that with a quick trip to NZ or back home to validate the visa.

But as I am not yet sorted on the visa (or contract!) front, I am trying not to count my chickens too much, and am keeping my options open.
Old Sep 16th 2005, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Previously County Durham. ENGLAND. Now in Mornington, Victoria. (via Brisbane)
paulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud of

This was my post from another thread on the nursing forum.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=323794

The easiest and cheapest way is to get a MODIFIED skills assessment, instead of a FULL skills assessment. With a modified assessment you do not need references. Firstly you need to register as a nurse in the state you wish to work. (you have to do this at some point anyway). Once registered, you can apply for the modified assessment. Once assessed you apply for the visa which of course you do need references for.

This is the process I went through:

Conact NMC and exlain you wish to work in Oz. They send you a form to fill in authorising them to send your details to up to 5 nursing boards / councils. I got my info sent to ANMC, and Nursing board of NSW. (£35)

Complete registration for Nursing board of NSW (£22)

Complete MODIFIED skills assessment (£72)

Visa application (£785)

The other option is :

FULL assessment with ANMC (still need nmc to send your details - £35). (£260)

Apply for visa. (£785)

Register wth a nursing board at any time.

Hope this helps.

Paul (RMN)!

PS. There is a member of this forum called Grayling who is also an RMN, retired lecturer etc who is very helpful. Do a search for his posts.
P

Last edited by paulb; Sep 16th 2005 at 6:33 pm.
Old Sep 16th 2005, 6:47 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulb

The easiest and cheapest way is to get a MODIFIED skills assessment, instead of a FULL skills assessment. With a modified assessment you do not need references. Firstly you need to register as a nurse in the state you wish to work. (you have to do this at some point anyway). Once registered, you can apply for the modified assessment. Once assessed you apply for the visa which of course you do need references for.

Conact NMC and exlain you wish to work in Oz. They send you a form to fill in authorising them to send your details to up to 5 nursing boards / councils. I got my info sent to ANMC, and Nursing board of NSW. (£35)

Visa application (£785)

The other option is :

Apply for visa. (£785)

Hope this helps.

Paul (RMN)!

PS. There is a member of this forum called Grayling who is also an RMN, retired lecturer etc who is very helpful. Do a search for his posts.
P
looks like you've got it spot on Paul

best wishes

G
Old Sep 16th 2005, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Previously County Durham. ENGLAND. Now in Mornington, Victoria. (via Brisbane)
paulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Grayling
looks like you've got it spot on Paul

best wishes

G
Thank you Mr G!!

Only pleased to pass on the advice that I was given from you and others.
Old Sep 16th 2005, 7:03 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Mr G!!

Only pleased to pass on the advice that I was given from you and others.
When are you going?

I thought you had things sorted Has there been a delay?

I will need feedback when you get there

G
Old Sep 16th 2005, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Grayling
When are you going?

I thought you had things sorted Has there been a delay?

I will need feedback when you get there

G

Had an email from CO asking for copies of full birth certs for wife and kids, and also a form 1022. Sent those back the same day (13th Sept), so hopefully get the visa soon. Its our wedding anniversary in 6 weeks so we would like to celebrate, if not in Oz, then at 40,000 feet.

Will keep you updated and be ready for more questions!!

Paul
Old Sep 16th 2005, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

ireneb is on a distinguished road

Visa application (£785)

The other option is :

Apply for visa. (£785)

Hope this helps.

Paul (RMN)!

P

thanks to everyone for the advice, had seen paulb thread before on how to get skills assessed and have now contacted the nmc for these forms, the first step in what seems to be quite a complicated business. Did anyone consider using a migration agent, we did, but I was worried about being ripped off.
Old Sep 16th 2005, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

thanks to everyone for the advice, had seen paulb thread before on how to get skills assessed and have now contacted the nmc for these forms, the first step in what seems to be quite a complicated business. Did anyone consider using a migration agent, we did, but I was worried about being ripped off.

Started with an agent, but wasnt convinced. Felt they were just trying to get me any job as an RMN. Decided to go it alone as my applicationis fairly straight forward, personal choice. My sister is using an agent (George Lombard)for her visa (her partner is an Aussie), and she says he is brilliant, but all this 'brilliance' costs, so it depends how rich you are. Get the forms and read them thoroughly. Yes they take time and effort, but its not rocket science. If you passed your nursing exams then it should be no trouble. You will always get loads of help on this forum.

Good luck

Paul
Old Sep 16th 2005, 8:08 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

In my opinion you shouldn't waste your money on an agent, as they just do exactly the same as what you do, but charge you an absolute fortune!

Your a nurse so it should be straight forward really

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.