Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

2 months on the Gold Coast - update

2 months on the Gold Coast - update

Old Nov 12th 2005, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

swissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to all
Default 2 months on the Gold Coast - update

G'day everyone,

Gosh, it has been ages since i have been on the forum now. things do really change when you are here. For those who dont remember me, well i am Fabienne, a 27 yo girl from Switzerland who moved to the Gold Coast on Sept. 20th. I had been here before for over a year (did my masters at uni on the gold coast) and applied for residency while back in Switzerland....

well well well, i stayed with my best friend for the first 3 weeks and was very active: went to sydney for a job interview, got back up here and bought a car (first thing to do definitely)... after 2 weeks i got a great job with Gold Coast Tourism in their Business Tourism department (studied tourism management at uni)... having spent a year hear previously really helped and having heaps of friends here as well. I have been working for GC tourism for about 3 weeks now and i am really enjoying it. We are based in Surfers Paradise.

I am currently flat sharing in Main Beach and i am actively looking at townhouses / apartments since i want my own. still havent fallen in love with one yet. the prices seem pretty stable and i have done my research. i am looking at southport / labrador / biggera waters / runaway bay. I had signed a contract on a beautiful Queenslander that had been totally redone in Labrador but pulled out since i found out that the roof hadn't and it was full of Asbestos. Some real estate agents are great, some are just liars.

In terms of food (i know heaps of you miss the English food), i am just loving it. The variety of thai/japanese/indian is just amazing (coming from Switzerland) and so affordable. I cant really give advice on cheese and ice cream and so forth because i am allergic to dairy but there is so much choice of fresh produce here and so many non-dairy options such as soy ice cream (even in gelateria shops).

I just love the outdoors. My colleague and i powerwalk everyday to work and i am just a 4 min drive away from Southport Olmpic Pool (go there about twice a week). I am also gettting a proper tan without lying down by the pool. its just all happening by itself.

I found Aussies very welcoming, but once again i might be a bit biased cause I have spent many years here (emigrated with my parents as a child). Most of my friends are Aussies, or half Aussies half other so its a great culture mix.

My container has also arrived, i have to go to the AQIS inspection on Tuesday in Bne. Since i had organised the transfer to the Port of Brisbane only, i had to organise someone on this side to look after the unloading etc. She seems to be great (havent met her in person yet) and managed to organise everything property. If there is no prob during inspection on Tuesday i would be more than happy to recommend her. Since i dont have a place on my own yet, i will be storing my stuff at a self storage place (280 $ a month with 24/7 access) and the lady organised the transfer from BNE to the Gold Coast for 600$ (cheapest - i rang a few movers to check i was not being ripped off). Oh by the way, the fees for this lady were 300$.
I will also update you regarding the LLeyton Percival insurance! seems to have worked well so far.

so all in all i am pretty settled, do not regret the move one minute. there are so many opportunities here, but u have to be willing to integrate. my family (parents) will come and visit as soon as i am settled, and i will be going to Rainbow Beach (next 2 fraser island) for xmas cause my uncle / aunt / cousin live up there. its a little paradise on earth.

voila, i hope that wasnt too long and boring, shoot me a PM if any of u want more info!!!!

good luck with all the visa / move processes.

fabie
Old Nov 12th 2005, 8:58 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 months on the Gold Coast - update

Mmmmmmm......I do seem to recall someone named Fabie posting on here ages ago

Delighted to hear it's going so well for you..........sounds great.

Keep enjoying
Old Nov 12th 2005, 8:59 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Mmmmmmm......I do seem to recall someone named Fabie posting on here ages ago

Delighted to hear it's going so well for you..........sounds great.

Keep enjoying
What the Lion said
Old Nov 12th 2005, 9:13 am
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds wonderful.....a great post!!!
Old Nov 12th 2005, 10:36 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by swissfabs
G'day everyone,

Gosh, it has been ages since i have been on the forum now. things do really change when you are here. For those who dont remember me, well i am Fabienne, a 27 yo girl from Switzerland who moved to the Gold Coast on Sept. 20th. I had been here before for over a year (did my masters at uni on the gold coast) and applied for residency while back in Switzerland....

well well well, i stayed with my best friend for the first 3 weeks and was very active: went to sydney for a job interview, got back up here and bought a car (first thing to do definitely)... after 2 weeks i got a great job with Gold Coast Tourism in their Business Tourism department (studied tourism management at uni)... having spent a year hear previously really helped and having heaps of friends here as well. I have been working for GC tourism for about 3 weeks now and i am really enjoying it. We are based in Surfers Paradise.

I am currently flat sharing in Main Beach and i am actively looking at townhouses / apartments since i want my own. still havent fallen in love with one yet. the prices seem pretty stable and i have done my research. i am looking at southport / labrador / biggera waters / runaway bay. I had signed a contract on a beautiful Queenslander that had been totally redone in Labrador but pulled out since i found out that the roof hadn't and it was full of Asbestos. Some real estate agents are great, some are just liars.

In terms of food (i know heaps of you miss the English food), i am just loving it. The variety of thai/japanese/indian is just amazing (coming from Switzerland) and so affordable. I cant really give advice on cheese and ice cream and so forth because i am allergic to dairy but there is so much choice of fresh produce here and so many non-dairy options such as soy ice cream (even in gelateria shops).

I just love the outdoors. My colleague and i powerwalk everyday to work and i am just a 4 min drive away from Southport Olmpic Pool (go there about twice a week). I am also gettting a proper tan without lying down by the pool. its just all happening by itself.

I found Aussies very welcoming, but once again i might be a bit biased cause I have spent many years here (emigrated with my parents as a child). Most of my friends are Aussies, or half Aussies half other so its a great culture mix.

My container has also arrived, i have to go to the AQIS inspection on Tuesday in Bne. Since i had organised the transfer to the Port of Brisbane only, i had to organise someone on this side to look after the unloading etc. She seems to be great (havent met her in person yet) and managed to organise everything property. If there is no prob during inspection on Tuesday i would be more than happy to recommend her. Since i dont have a place on my own yet, i will be storing my stuff at a self storage place (280 $ a month with 24/7 access) and the lady organised the transfer from BNE to the Gold Coast for 600$ (cheapest - i rang a few movers to check i was not being ripped off). Oh by the way, the fees for this lady were 300$.
I will also update you regarding the LLeyton Percival insurance! seems to have worked well so far.

so all in all i am pretty settled, do not regret the move one minute. there are so many opportunities here, but u have to be willing to integrate. my family (parents) will come and visit as soon as i am settled, and i will be going to Rainbow Beach (next 2 fraser island) for xmas cause my uncle / aunt / cousin live up there. its a little paradise on earth.

voila, i hope that wasnt too long and boring, shoot me a PM if any of u want more info!!!!

fabie
Cheers for the post. Appreciate the insight. Enjoy.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Nov 12th 2005, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

I had signed a contract on a beautiful Queenslander that had been totally redone in Labrador but pulled out since i found out that the roof hadn't and it was full of Asbestos. Some real estate agents are great, some are just liars.
Think of older (QLD) houses as a renovated sandwich. The middle bit may be yummy with plenty of emotional eye candy.

It's the mouldy bread top (roof - old tin or asbestos) and bottom (rotted timber / corroded steel /cracked concrete stumps) and rusted galvanised water pipes that can leave a really bad taste in your mouth (and pocket). :scared:

Good luck with your searching.

WW
Old Nov 13th 2005, 12:33 am
BE Enthusiast

funkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant future

G'day everyone,

fabie
Blimey. Hi there, I remember you, haven't heard of you for ages. Well sounds like your doing really well. Its lovely to hear how your new lifes going. Unfortunatley, we are still in sunny England, but will be heading for the GC Jan10th. yipppeeeee
Old Nov 14th 2005, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

swissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to all

Thanks for ur replies guys! well i have just made an offer on a non-timber house! its a little 2-bdrm townhouse with an extra room downstairs so fingers crossed, will see if they accept it!!!!

will let u all know of course!

fabie
Old Nov 14th 2005, 10:48 am
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Hope to do a post like this one day ...

Glad all is goin well ...
Old Nov 14th 2005, 11:08 am
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

G'day everyone,

fabie
Hi Fabie,

Take no notice of the Bixter and Fraser.....I certainly remember you. I was wondering what you were up to. Last I heard you were still in Switzerland.

Really pleased it all worked out for you....I know you've had your ups and downs!

Take care

D D