Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

2.5x salary to achieve same standard of living as UK?

2.5x salary to achieve same standard of living as UK?

Old Sep 6th 2013, 5:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2.5x salary to achieve same standard of living as UK?

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack

IF you were earning 50GBP, you could actually, if you bought your UK home in the 90s, say,..and have accumulated wealth (eg). But a health worker or nurse, as far as I am aware, is not earning 50GBP in the UK. It's a silly example hence why rates never work.

Ozzie case is interesting in that retirees:
have had longer to accrue wealth.
A working life is long enough for some variances to creep in.
Over a generation+, things change, Aus was cheaper.

Often the senior people of the forum tell us that life is good in the UK and that noone they know is doing poorly - but they are the same people who have accumulated enough wealth and have a buffer.

In Ozzie's case, it's probably the case that he has done well in Australia, and has a lot to be grateful for.
For the record thats a minium combined income at that 2.5 rate... Slightly disingenuous of me I will admit.... and our cars are both total crap.

I can retire in 18 months now and grab my super tax free at 60....however I will probably stay on another 4 years at least, maybe 7 whilst our 15YO son matures and gets through those dodgy years.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 6:04 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Does this mean on 50K GBP ish (or 2.5 less than we get here) per year in the UK, I could live, 8k's from the center of London, in a fully done up 3 bedroom detached house, own two cars, have holidays where I want, go out when I want, buy what food I want, have no problem paying any bills, and save ?

Or is there anywhere in the UK a nurse and a postal worker could earn and live like that ?
yes - at the same age as you if they are mortgage free then it is possible to be the same in UK
Old Sep 6th 2013, 6:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
I could be wrong but I think the x/2.5 = GBP50k was based on a combined income.
Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I think "2.5" is too specific and makes something sound more scientific than it really is, but time and time again people have mentioned that anything from around 2 to 2 and a bit or 2 and a half gives them a good measure of their purchasing power in UK versus Australia.

It is exactly the point that it does not change with fluctuating exchange rates, why would it? The cost of my groceries week on week in Australia does not fluctuate according to the performance of sterling.
To come back to this, on average, a person might come back to a rate, there is nothing to stop anyone from grabbing a rate but it might not work for each case, and there are better ways! On average, a rate could be determined, but user beware as individuals differ. Someone on a particularly high salary in London is probably at risk of accepting a lower salary and lower COL, perhaps.

For the record thats a minium combined income at that 2.5 rate... Slightly disingenuous of me I will admit.... and our cars are both total crap.

I can retire in 18 months now and grab my super tax free at 60....however I will probably stay on another 4 years at least, maybe 7 whilst our 15YO son matures and gets through those dodgy years.
No worries, and therefore I am in total agreement with Walter (below). I still maintain that retirees and boomers etc are more likely to be better off in some ways. Even Gen X have done well if many got in before the last boom, like I did.
For me, moving to Australia, and taking capital at a good rate - had the effect of positioning me further back in it - if that makes sense. I got back the years I had been pissing up the wall, feckless person that I was (and still am).

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
yes - at the same age as you if they are mortgage free then it is possible to be the same in UK
Old Sep 8th 2013, 7:56 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah but not in a top 1/3 rd suburb I forget to add that bit... doesn't gentrification do wonderful things.... According to one of those Herald Sun lists, which is quiet amusing.

In all honesty BC I dont see or hear of that many these days from the UK in a similar position, maybe there are plenty, but I dont know of them.

Right I'm orf for 'a wander' up the road to dodge the throngs around the myriad of Kebab shops and purchase some pizza dough for our wood fired pizzas tonight..... Albeit over charcoal on a weber.
Yep, plenty of nurses I know bought flats or houses in London in the mid to late 90s and made a killing. (Sadly, I wasn't one of them ).
Most of them then chose to sell up and leave London, but not all.

I haven't been to Melbourne and by all accounts it's a great place, but it's not a world city in the same way London is so I'm not sure you could make a direct comparison. Might be better comparing with Manchester
Old Sep 8th 2013, 8:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
Yep, plenty of nurses I know bought flats or houses in London in the mid to late 90s and made a killing. (Sadly, I wasn't one of them ).
Most of them then chose to sell up and leave London, but not all.

I haven't been to Melbourne and by all accounts it's a great place, but it's not a world city in the same way London is so I'm not sure you could make a direct comparison. Might be better comparing with Manchester
(not getting at you) What's a 'world city' out of interest? Compare an over 4 million city which covers a greater area than Greater London with a provincial city of 512,000? Hmm.

Incidentally, whilst mentioning Manchester, 'it always rains in Manchester' fits nicely with 'you need 2.5 x your salary to achieve the same standard of living'. Oft mentioned but doesn't really stand closer examination
Old Sep 8th 2013, 8:36 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
(not getting at you) What's a 'world city' out of interest? Compare an over 4 million city which covers a greater area than Greater London with a provincial city of 512,000? Hmm.
Is the population of Greater Manchester 0.5 million? Don't think so.

If we're playing games then the population of the City of Melbourne is about 100,000.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 8:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Is the population of Greater Manchester 0.5 million? Don't think so.

If we're playing games then the population of the City of Melbourne is about 100,000.
Manchester was mentioned. Yes, about 512,000 apparently. No mention of Manchester, Bolton, Salford, Stockport, Oldham, Rochdale, Bury .................

Melbourne has a CBD as Manchester does; probably the CBD population of Manchester is not 512,000.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 9:31 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Manchester was mentioned. Yes, about 512,000 apparently. No mention of Manchester, Bolton, Salford, Stockport, Oldham, Rochdale, Bury .................

Melbourne has a CBD as Manchester does; probably the CBD population of Manchester is not 512,000.
Nor is the CBD population of Melbourne 4 million.

Clearly Greater Melbourne (4m) and Greater Manchester (2.7m) would be a better comparison than trying to compare apples with oranges.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 10:03 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Incidentally, whilst mentioning Manchester, 'it always rains in Manchester' fits nicely with 'you need 2.5 x your salary to achieve the same standard of living'. Oft mentioned but doesn't really stand closer examination
For me, it would be a city of a certain size and certain importance. The kind of city lots of people visit.
I have heard great things about Melbourne and it consistently gets voted world's most liveable city, but it's not up there with New York, London, Paris etc in terms of world importance.

Greater Manchester has a population of nearly 3 million and Greater Melbourne about 4 million.
Greater London has over 8 million.
But it's not just about size

In Ozzies case, he has done well financially and he questioned whether someone of his age could have done as well in London. I'm saying, yes, financially they could have, but if they chose to stay in London, I suspect they would be living in a smaller house. However; lots profited, then moved on.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 10:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Nor is the CBD population of Melbourne 4 million.

Clearly Greater Melbourne (4m) and Greater Manchester (2.7m) would be a better comparison than trying to compare apples with oranges.
I surrender. I saw Manchester not Greater Manchester OK!

People I've met from Bolton and Altrincham vehemently deny coming from Manchester FWIW.

And we don't say Greater Melbourne; it's just Melbourne. We don't have 3 times the people living in 1/33 of the space so places join up and you have this Greater business.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 10:25 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: 2.5x salary to achieve same standard of living as UK?

For me, it would be a city of a certain size and certain importance. The kind of city lots of people visit.
I have heard great things about Melbourne and it consistently gets voted world's most liveable city, but it's not up there with New York, London, Paris etc in terms of world importance.
Never confuse a city that's great to visit with one that is great to live in!

BB
Old Sep 8th 2013, 10:31 am
Frequent Flyer Member

And we don't say Greater Melbourne; it's just Melbourne.
You'd better tell the Australian Bureau of Statistics then.

Portsea is in Greater Melbourne...really!
Old Sep 8th 2013, 10:32 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Never confuse a city that's great to visit with one that is great to live in!

BB
Indeed...and IMO Melbourne is neither
Old Sep 8th 2013, 10:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Greater Manchester has a population of nearly 3 million and Greater Melbourne about 4 million.
Greater London has over 8 million.
But it's not just about size

In Ozzies case, he has done well financially and he questioned whether someone of his age could have done as well in London. I'm saying, yes, financially they could have, but if they chose to stay in London, I suspect they would be living in a smaller house. However; lots profited, then moved on.
Nobody denies Melbourne isn't as 'important' (what does that mean?) as the cities quoted. However, I'd contend that it and Sydney are more of a world city than anywhere in the UK apart from London.

On the statistics - Ironically Paris is smaller than the Manchester now extended to Greater Manchester.

2.68 mill I suppose is 3 mill but Melbourne is over 4 mill and is expected to be 5 mill by 2030. It's well known that the population of Greater London is falling through time eg 8.6 mill 1939, 7.7 mill 2009 - check out this forum to see one of the reasons why it has net emigration.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 10:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You'd better tell the Australian Bureau of Statistics then.

Portsea is in Greater Melbourne...really!
I'm genuinely surprised, I've never used the Greater once or heard it once in my life to be honest.

'Greater' Melbourne less the privileged few who live at the tip of the Peninsula still passed 4 million this year and is rising by nearly 80,000 p.a.

Possibly all the gaps between Mornington and Bass Strait will be filled soon!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.