Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

2.3694 AUD to the pound!!

2.3694 AUD to the pound!!

Old Nov 17th 2004, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

steveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant future
Thumbs down 2.3694 AUD to the pound!!

Current exchange rate is dire...

Really I don't have a one track mind but this is bad news for anyone taking money to Australia at the moment. there just does not seem to be any stopping the oz dollar at the moment.

Has anybody talked to any traders lately and got their reaction?
Old Nov 17th 2004, 6:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

BenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2.3694 AUD to the pound!!

I would love to get a bit of an inside track as well. We are waiting for our bond request to come through and it is costing more each day the way the rate has gone. Any ideas of movement before Christmas ?
Old Nov 17th 2004, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

steve the man is on a distinguished road

I agree the rate is totally awful on paper i have lost in the region of au$ 60,000 over the past couple of months that is enough to buy a small property in some places just hope it doe'snt drop any further or i might have to postpone until it picks up again
Old Nov 17th 2004, 11:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by steve the man
I agree the rate is totally awful on paper i have lost in the region of au$ 60,000 over the past couple of months that is enough to buy a small property in some places just hope it doe'snt drop any further or i might have to postpone until it picks up again
Hi Steve

I fully agree that the exchange rate decline is a blow to all of us moving over to OZ, but if you claim that you are losing $60,000 based on a decrease from say £1:$2.55 two months ago, that means you are taking over £300,000 - surely this is enough money that your emigration need not be postponed by it!!!

If nothing else, transfer over £20,000 and rent a house for a while until the rate picks up (you may only have 6 months though)
Old Nov 18th 2004, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

Tincx has a brilliant futureTincx has a brilliant futureTincx has a brilliant futureTincx has a brilliant futureTincx has a brilliant futureTincx has a brilliant futureTincx has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by darkless

If nothing else, transfer over £20,000 and rent a house for a while until the rate picks up (you may only have 6 months though)
Hi

So you can transfer any foreign money to Australia in the first 6 months from landing without paying tax? I looked on the ATO site but could not find any info on it. Can this be confirmed somewhere? I thought it was less than that. But would be good if it was 6 months.

Cheers Tincx
Old Nov 18th 2004, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Tincx
Hi

So you can transfer any foreign money to Australia in the first 6 months from landing without paying tax? I looked on the ATO site but could not find any info on it. Can this be confirmed somewhere? I thought it was less than that. But would be good if it was 6 months.

Cheers Tincx
Not true the 6 month rule is for transferring pensions only.

Assets should be valued on the day you take up PR BUT I don't belive the tax office would chase you up unless you are talking about millions of lost revenue.

I transferred large ammounts 2 years after I took up residence I didn't declare it as I was ignorant of the rules and had no comeback. It's a self assesment system here for foreign income and capital gains and you just have to declare what you've made with no requirement to provide ANY documentation (unless you are audited and then you might).
Old Nov 18th 2004, 12:22 am
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Tincx
Hi

Cheers Tincx
That is my understanding, in fact I am sure I read recently that it could be even longer than that due to a recent change in laws, however never having done a 'Phd in abysmal language designed to confuse and baffle' I may have misunderstood (shock horror) what the tax office website was getting at

Dave
Old Nov 18th 2004, 12:45 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Hi Steve

I fully agree that the exchange rate decline is a blow to all of us moving over to OZ, but if you claim that you are losing $60,000 based on a decrease from say £1:$2.55 two months ago, that means you are taking over £300,000 - surely this is enough money that your emigration need not be postponed by it!!!

You don't have 6 months though. The 6 months applies only to pensions.
Old Nov 18th 2004, 12:47 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Kiwipaul
Not true the 6 month rule is for transferring pensions only.

Assets should be valued on the day you take up PR BUT I don't belive the tax office would chase you up unless you are talking about millions of lost revenue.

I transferred large ammounts 2 years after I took up residence I didn't declare it as I was ignorant of the rules and had no comeback. It's a self assesment system here for foreign income and capital gains and you just have to declare what you've made with no requirement to provide ANY documentation (unless you are audited and then you might).
The rules didn't exist 2 years ago. The current Foreign gains rules started 1/7/2003.
Old Nov 18th 2004, 12:47 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

It was barely 2 dollars to the pound when I went there in the mid 90s, so any exchange rate which is better than that is good enough for me!
Old Nov 18th 2004, 7:45 am
BE Enthusiast

steveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant future

Well the price of a nice 4x4 at least... I have lost a large (paper) amount too. In fact the rate is around the same as Jan 2003 when I first started monitoring it at which point it was 13% down on the previous year. I reckon it will top out at 0.8 against the USD and slide gradually, the general election may bring sterling up a tad.
Old Nov 19th 2004, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

steve the man is on a distinguished road

Hi Steve

Damn i wish i were taking £300.000 my original calculations were based on having the equivalent of AU$300,000 which would have been enough to buy a reasonably priced house and a bit left over for me and the missus to live on till we got established , ah well just have to hope my numbers come up on the euro millions lottery tonight then i really will be in the money
Old Nov 19th 2004, 5:15 pm
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold
Unhappy Re: 2.3694 AUD to the pound!!

....smack bang up-to-the-minute is $2.3674 !!

Damn i wish i were taking £300.000 my original calculations were based on having the equivalent of AU$300,000 which would have been enough to buy a reasonably priced house and a bit left over for me and the missus to live on till we got established , ah well just have to hope my numbers come up on the euro millions lottery tonight then i really will be in the money
Old Nov 19th 2004, 5:20 pm
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Hi Steve

..........yep, this is the sensible move. Historically, it should pick up again in the New Year - fingers and everything else crossed.

Jim
Old Nov 19th 2004, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

brian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by steveyp
Current exchange rate is dire...

Really I don't have a one track mind but this is bad news for anyone taking money to Australia at the moment. there just does not seem to be any stopping the oz dollar at the moment.

Has anybody talked to any traders lately and got their reaction?
Save some pity for those of us looking at moving from the US! The 2 year comparison on Yahoo! Finance shows the Pound down about 13% from 2 years ago, while the US$ is down about 26% in the same time period, with no sign of improvement! Damn that Goerge Bush!

Just over 2 years ago, when my brother visited from Melbourne in October 2002, he was complaining because the AUS$ was so low! At the time is was almost 2 AUS$ to the US$. Now a US$ buys $1.27 AUS!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.