Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

2 or 3 yrs to get citizenship news

2 or 3 yrs to get citizenship news

Old Jun 5th 2006, 10:21 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute
Default 2 or 3 yrs to get citizenship news

Been absent from the forum lately (life is so much better without it!).
I have been chatting with DIMA about the 2 or 3 years to get citizenship because if we have to wait for 3 years, we won't be ligible for the college loans assistance for my eldest.
Anyway, they said:

"On 27 February 2006, the Senate Legal and Constitutional Legislation Committee (the Committee) handed down the report of its inquiry into the citizenship legislation before the Parliament. The Committee recommended that the three year resident requirement should apply only to persons who become permanent residents after the commencement of the legislation. The Government has yet to finalise its consideration of the Committee report and recommendations so it is not yet known if this will be the new arrangements.

A date of 26 January 2007 is being considered for the commencement of the new Act, subject to the passage of the legislation through the Parliament.
Further information about the legislation and its passage through Parliament is available on the citizenship website, www.citizenship.gov.au.
The website will be updated as developments occur."

Of course it's not 100% decided but this is great news for those already here on PR and need the citizenship.

Apologies if this is old news for any of you.

Andrew
Old Jun 5th 2006, 10:38 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 or 3 yrs to get citizenship news

Originally Posted by andrew63

Andrew
Its new news and good news
Old Jun 5th 2006, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent news just keeping fingers crossed .
Thanks
Nicky
Old Jun 5th 2006, 10:46 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been chatting with DIMA about the 2 or 3 years to get citizenship because if we have to wait for 3 years, we won't be ligible for the college loans assistance for my eldest.
Anyway, they said:

"On 27 February 2006, the Senate Legal and Constitutional Legislation Committee (the Committee) handed down the report of its inquiry into the citizenship legislation before the Parliament. The Committee recommended that the three year resident requirement should apply only to persons who become permanent residents after the commencement of the legislation. The Government has yet to finalise its consideration of the Committee report and recommendations so it is not yet known if this will be the new arrangements.

A date of 26 January 2007 is being considered for the commencement of the new Act, subject to the passage of the legislation through the Parliament.
Further information about the legislation and its passage through Parliament is available on the citizenship website, www.citizenship.gov.au.
The website will be updated as developments occur."

Of course it's not 100% decided but this is great news for those already here on PR and need the citizenship.

Andrew
Funny but when I rang DIMIA I spoke to someone who sounded young and I was told "unnofically" that they [DIMIA] thought this would be the case i.e that it would only effect new PR.s

The young lady couldn't confirm this though as this was a "viewpoint" and not legislation and was not yet confirmed
Old Jun 5th 2006, 10:55 am
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute

Fingers Crossed, we become eligible in February

not that we have any plans to go anywhere, it would just make the whole emigration experience 'complete' (for us anyway)
Old Jun 5th 2006, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Does anyone know how much they are charging to apply for citizenship at the moment?
Old Jun 5th 2006, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

mickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud of

Hi

Does this mean that if you get your visa and enter / validate in Oz before next Feb then the 2 year rule applies and after that the 3 year rule applies, or have I got it all wrong?

Cheers

Mick
Old Jun 5th 2006, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

kellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mickagnew
Hi

Does this mean that if you get your visa and enter / validate in Oz before next Feb then the 2 year rule applies and after that the 3 year rule applies, or have I got it all wrong?

Cheers

Mick
Hi Mick
Hope you and family are all ok I think that's what it means. I hope so as we will be long gone before Feb next year!
Old Jun 5th 2006, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Paul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to all

3 Year rule will apply for everyone who has not applied for citizenship from the 26th Jan 2007 (assuming that is the date in the end)....
Old Jun 5th 2006, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul and Chloe
3 Year rule will apply for everyone who has not applied for citizenship from the 26th Jan 2007 (assuming that is the date in the end)....
I hope not I read it that it will apply to those who have PR granted before the cut off date, rather than those who have applied for citizenship.
Nicky
Old Jun 5th 2006, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

kellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul and Chloe
But you can't apply for citizenship until you've been there for 2 years, is that right?
Old Jun 5th 2006, 11:45 am
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyP
I hope not I read it that it will apply to those who have PR granted before the cut off date, rather than those who have applied for citizenship.
Nicky
That's the way I read it as well. It says

"The Committee recommended that the three year resident requirement should apply only to persons who become permanent residents after the commencement of the legislation."

If that's the case then you should be able to go under the 2 year rule so long as you get PR (and, I assume, validate) before 26 Jan 07.

That would suit us just fine!

Graham
Old Jun 5th 2006, 12:07 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Also bear in mind that under the 3 year requirement, you will probably be able to credit up to 2 years for lawful temporary residence (eg on a 457), further to clause 22(7) of the Bill. So in your case, even if existing PRs are not exempted it may not make much difference.

Wait and see.
Old Jun 5th 2006, 1:44 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northerner
That's the way I read it as well. It says

"The Committee recommended that the three year resident requirement should apply only to persons who become permanent residents after the commencement of the legislation."

If that's the case then you should be able to go under the 2 year rule so long as you get PR (and, I assume, validate) before 26 Jan 07.

That would suit us just fine!

Graham
I think this is exactly how it reads. If you become a PR after Jan 2007 then you will not be able to use 2 years residency as a qualifying pre-requisite BUT if you are PR before that then, regardless of when you apply for citizenship, you will be able to use 2 years residency as a valid pre-requisite before applying for citizenship....
Old Jun 5th 2006, 11:58 pm
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Also bear in mind that under the 3 year requirement, you will probably be able to credit up to 2 years for lawful temporary residence (eg on a 457), further to clause 22(7) of the Bill. So in your case, even if existing PRs are not exempted it may not make much difference.

Wait and see.
sorry jeremy, i didnt get what you meant there, can you explain again ????

being so early in the morning, brain isnt engaged yet !!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.