Reload this Page >

1st xmas in Oz.....

1st xmas in Oz.....

Old Dec 5th 2004, 2:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

pockygoes will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 1st xmas in Oz.....

Originally Posted by steandleigh
This morning, I was on the 'phone to my mum and dad (in the uk), had a good old natter and then ( whilst on the 'phone to them) there was a 'knock' on the door - 'twas the postie, wiv a big parcel for us!!!!

Turns out it was from me m&d, so mum stayed on the 'phone whilst we opened it and what was in it?....

* Thorntons 'Toffee soft centre pudding'
* Matthew Walker 'Sticky Toffee sponge pudding'
* Matthew Walker ' chocolate sponge pudding'
* A 'premium' xmas pudding with cider, sherry, brandy and rum
* 3 packets of paxo
* 8 walnut whips
* 2 Cadburys selection stockings ( for the kids)
* Box of Maltesers
* Box of 'After Eights'
* 2 bags of 'chocolate gold coins' (for the kids)
* Box of 'Cadburys Milk Tray'
*Box of 'Bassetts' Jelly Babies
* Box of 'Famous Names' Liqueor Chocolates
* 5 packets of shortbread
* Packet of 'Jelly shaped novelty thingys for kids'

Just want to say a 'public' thanks to me mum (if shes reading this). x

I didn't realise that i was missing these things and TBO, don't think I really was...but now they're here, shall devour them like a demon and regret the extra pounds and sicky feeling later!!!!

Anyone else recieved anything from OS and did it make you all nostalgic and blurry eyed like meself??? ( Blurry eyed 'cos of "family at xmas", not 'cos of the Cadburys!!!!).

What a loveley surprise! it is making my tummy rumble just reading the list!! We are about to experience our last Xmas in the UK - 14 family to mums & half of them will not want to talk about Oz & we are still in denial about the goodbyes on 2/1!!!

Hope you don't mind me asking - do you know how much it cost to send that lot from the UK & how long ot took?? Only mum is already thinking about sending bits of home to Oz to keep our peckers up!!

pockygoes
Old Dec 5th 2004, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pockygoes
What a loveley surprise! it is making my tummy rumble just reading the list!! We are about to experience our last Xmas in the UK - 14 family to mums & half of them will not want to talk about Oz & we are still in denial about the goodbyes on 2/1!!!

Hope you don't mind me asking - do you know how much it cost to send that lot from the UK & how long ot took?? Only mum is already thinking about sending bits of home to Oz to keep our peckers up!!

pockygoes
Hi PG,

it cost me mum 60 quid :scared: ( no pound sign on aussie 'puter!),
it weighed 5kg and it took 12 days to get here.

It *was* a lovely surprise and very tasty too but shall be telling mum not to do it again! ( I didn't realise how much it cost her to send it, until i looked at the box for your info!!!!).

Enjoy your uk xmas,
Old Dec 5th 2004, 8:41 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

At the risk of putting a lump in your throat Leigh - shows how much she cares
Old Dec 5th 2004, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Darn you, Pollyana, fink that was me 1st aussie tear....

Am off to fill my face wiv walnut whips....
Old Dec 5th 2004, 8:49 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steandleigh
Darn you, Pollyana, fink that was me 1st aussie tear....

Am off to fill my face wiv walnut whips....
Sorry mate; wish my mum would send food - she just keeps sending videos of The Bill! Keep telling her we aren't far behind here, but it doesn;t stop her.If she misses an episode she frets horribly
Old Dec 5th 2004, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Sorry mate; wish my mum would send food - she just keeps sending videos of The Bill! Keep telling her we aren't far behind here, but it doesn;t stop her.If she misses an episode she frets horribly
Mums eh?

What are you doing for xmas then Polly? Entertaining The Blokes family? Not sure what we'll do yet, prob the same as every year, up at 4.30 am ( courtesy of the kids), pressie unwrapping, kids full of chocolate by 6am, ( one of them ill by 6.10am), me cookin' up a storm ( should be interesting in the heat and humidity this year!!! :scared: ), get tiddly...erm...thats about it really.

Obviously there'll be the 'phonecalls' to family this year.....
Old Dec 5th 2004, 9:04 pm
Home and Happy

MIL in residence here for a week, all up to the Bloke's borther for lunch midday Xmas Day - food eaten at rate of knots, presents all unwrapped together so no fun of watching people open things, then back home about 4pm to watch TV the rest of the day in silence! Last year i took a bottle of wine - they treated it like it was a hand grenade and all drank cheap beer instead......all the more for me!!
This year i am definitely going to Midnight Mass, at least that might make it feel a bit more Christmassy!!
Old Dec 5th 2004, 11:45 pm
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

I had a few tears last week when we got a load of mail from the UK and ithad birthday and xmas cards and pressies for us. Really made me miss them all.

It was hard but its the second xmas without my family last year we were in Sri Lanka with hubbys family so didn't feel so bad.

Actually I wonder why it upsets me so much as thinking back it has been 6 yrs since we spent xmas with family we always went on holiday at xmas.

I think cos we haven't seen family for over a year

Anyway will get off before the tears start again

Jo
Old Dec 6th 2004, 2:20 am
BE Forum Addict

MIL in residence here for a week, all up to the Bloke's borther for lunch midday Xmas Day - food eaten at rate of knots, presents all unwrapped together so no fun of watching people open things, then back home about 4pm to watch TV the rest of the day in silence! Last year i took a bottle of wine - they treated it like it was a hand grenade and all drank cheap beer instead......all the more for me!!
This year i am definitely going to Midnight Mass, at least that might make it feel a bit more Christmassy!!

Sounds like a 'grand prix' stylee xmas!!! Everything at 160kph!!!!!

Enjoy your wine...I'd take two bottles, if I were you!!!!
Old Dec 6th 2004, 2:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by joh117
I had a few tears last week when we got a load of mail from the UK and ithad birthday and xmas cards and pressies for us. Really made me miss them all.

It was hard but its the second xmas without my family last year we were in Sri Lanka with hubbys family so didn't feel so bad.

Actually I wonder why it upsets me so much as thinking back it has been 6 yrs since we spent xmas with family we always went on holiday at xmas.

I think cos we haven't seen family for over a year

Anyway will get off before the tears start again

Jo

Hi Jo,

I think xmas is quite a difficult time of year for some expats, missing family and all that. I don't know if its the first few which are the worst, or if xmas is always a 'missing' family time.
We've been here just over 3 mths now ( so not very long) and missing family hasn't been a big deal really until now, I think i'm feeling more sad for me 2 nippers not seeing their grandfolk at xmas, than for meself.
Still, we're here and they're there, so not much we can do about that really, have to keep our "chin up" and make the best of it.

....off, back to me walnut whips.....
Old Dec 6th 2004, 6:20 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

That bit is horrible, isn't it. Last Christmas all The Bloke's family kept saying how lovely it was that families could all be together at Christmas, and wasn't it good to be together again after a few weeks since they'd last seen each other, stuff like that. Made me just want to scream "Hey!! Remnember ME!!" Selfish, I know, but it made the whole thing really hard. I'm dreading this year - think I might hibernate
Ahh Poll come over to Gero for xmas, we are having an orphans christmas because all the backpackers aswell it wont seem so bad not having family around. They aint getting there hands on my Paxo tho!!!!!!

Got my chrismas card from my mum today, made me cry.

Nasty shipping company have still got my stuff 14 weeks now so I dont have my web cam and microphone so cant even have my live xmas day chat with my mum and dad I had planned.

The only shop in Gero playing xmas music is crazy clarks, I dont know if they are all over the country or not, it is basically a cheap shop and the music they play is the traditional tune but the lyrics are all about having a BBQ and a beer cos that what makes Christmas apparently !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bloody mad the lot of them.
Old Dec 6th 2004, 6:36 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by JayDeee
Ahh Poll come over to Gero for xmas, we are having an orphans christmas because all the backpackers aswell it wont seem so bad not having family around. They aint getting there hands on my Paxo tho!!!!!!

Got my chrismas card from my mum today, made me cry.

Nasty shipping company have still got my stuff 14 weeks now so I dont have my web cam and microphone so cant even have my live xmas day chat with my mum and dad I had planned.

The only shop in Gero playing xmas music is crazy clarks, I dont know if they are all over the country or not, it is basically a cheap shop and the music they play is the traditional tune but the lyrics are all about having a BBQ and a beer cos that what makes Christmas apparently !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bloody mad the lot of them.
Would LOVE to come and join you! However I think i'm stuck here. At last this year I'm prepared for it! I shall go to Midnight Mass (and wake the MIL up when I come home and start posting on here!), have Bucks Fizz for brekkie (and be called extravagant!) open all my pressies from the UK before we go out for lunch - wasn't allowed to last year, we had to open them all together and it was just chaos, couldn't enjoy the thrill - and will take 2 bottles of wine for lunch and drink them myself!
I love my beer, but somehow wine & Christmas lunch just go together.

Make sure you ring your mum and dad even though you can't chat with them; just tell yourself - the second Christmas is easier. Mainly cos you are prepared for it, and you know how different it will be.

We have Crazy Clarks over here, with tacky Xmas music. Even the carols aren't 'real', they sound cheap and tinkly!

Anyway, I'm sure us orphans will get together on here at some point for a virtual beer or two, and some cheery comments , and I hope the Paxo comes up to expectations........its in the post as we speak!!!!!

PS - change your location.........!
Old Dec 6th 2004, 6:46 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

hi pp1!

sounds like the sort of mail you don't mind getting! makes a change from bills eh? i still haven't had anything from the folks or family yet. My mum said she might not send me anything and wait until they come over in march....

so just to let everyone know i'm cancelling christmas this year. i'm sorry, i know it will put out a lot of people but as i will be on me tod, sans le tree (not sure if that makes sense but you get the idea) and no prezzies to open i just don't see the point. baaaaahhhhh 'umpbug!

the only thing i miss, food wise i mean, is KP salt n vinegar peanuts! i'd murder for a bag of them!

Old Dec 6th 2004, 6:46 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Would LOVE to come and join you! However I think i'm stuck here. At last this year I'm prepared for it! I shall go to Midnight Mass (and wake the MIL up when I come home and start posting on here!), have Bucks Fizz for brekkie (and be called extravagant!) open all my pressies from the UK before we go out for lunch - wasn't allowed to last year, we had to open them all together and it was just chaos, couldn't enjoy the thrill - and will take 2 bottles of wine for lunch and drink them myself!
I love my beer, but somehow wine & Christmas lunch just go together.

Make sure you ring your mum and dad even though you can't chat with them; just tell yourself - the second Christmas is easier. Mainly cos you are prepared for it, and you know how different it will be.

We have Crazy Clarks over here, with tacky Xmas music. Even the carols aren't 'real', they sound cheap and tinkly!

Anyway, I'm sure us orphans will get together on here at some point for a virtual beer or two, and some cheery comments , and I hope the Paxo comes up to expectations........its in the post as we speak!!!!!

PS - change your location.........!
All very true, Will bge calling my mum and dad really and waking them up, Our christmas' in the Uk were get home fromthe pub xmas eve, my mum would have snuck into both mine and my sisters houses whilst we were out and left us a stocking, Natalie and I would call each other at about 2 in the morning and open our stockings, checking that we got the same, then off to sleep, wake up at about 9, mum would come over to us and we woudl all sit in a big circle on the floor, get prepared with the rubbish bags and get the pressies from under the tree and each of us would open and pressie and the others wopuld watch, i'd then go to my local which was opne for 2 hrs on xmas day for locals to have a free beer, then home for dinner, then go and see my dad and do it all again then watch crap tele eat a tonne of chocolate and pass out feeling sick.

So this year is gonna be strange but there are pro's and cons to this living in Australia and xmas is one of the cons

Will be on here xmas day for a good cheering up session tho

Kala
Old Dec 6th 2004, 6:57 am
Home and Happy

Scutter....theres your answer, join us on here for a virtual Christmas. I know its not the same, but we have to try and do something

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.