British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   1st Speeding Fine in 12 years (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/1st-speeding-fine-12-years-678178/)

Loch Lomond Jul 25th 2010 2:18 pm

1st Speeding Fine in 12 years

Me and Mrs LL spent the night in Fremantle for a wedding reception, to make the event a wee bit better we went in the Porsche, with the top down.
Driving home today on Roe Highway I got zapped at (I think) 87Km in an 80Km zone. Couldn't believe it as the speed signs were so confusing I thought I was still in a 100Km zone. I understand in WA the speeding convictions can take months to come through, but if this one does I'll be mightily p*ssed off.

Sherlock Holmes Jul 25th 2010 2:26 pm

Re: 1st Speeding Fine in 12 years

Originally Posted by Loch Lomond (Post 8727060)
Me and Mrs LL spent the night in Fremantle for a wedding reception, to make the event a wee bit better we went in the Porsche, with the top down.
Driving home today on Roe Highway I got zapped at (I think) 87Km in an 80Km zone. Couldn't believe it as the speed signs were so confusing I thought I was still in a 100Km zone. I understand in WA the speeding convictions can take months to come through, but if this one does I'll be mightily p*ssed off.

I hate to tell you this but policy now is to not even allow 106 in 100 zone, so as a percentage, you are higher than that with 7 over in an 80.

The signs are crap, here in Victoria they aren't even always in pairs, as they are in England.

But if you were zapped it probably won't go in the bin.

What kind of zapper was it? Just so you know, I'm a retired copper and I hate those bloody cameras. They don't save lives at all.

Kelli28 Jul 25th 2010 3:07 pm

Holy crap if I had a Porsche I would be lucky if I still had my licence after 2 weeks, never mind only having 1 fine in 12yrs!
Well done you have more self control than I do.

irishbloo Jul 25th 2010 4:52 pm

I got zapped a few weeks back going to Freo.I was also doing 87 in an 80.Wasnt over happy but I was speeding.;)My first ever.Fined $75.

Alfresco Jul 25th 2010 5:58 pm

Please feel free to update the following thread for your sins:- :)

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=668887

mark213 Jul 25th 2010 10:16 pm

I know that bit on the Roe Highway and its a crap limit. It changes down from 100 to 80 miles before its needed - never seen a camera there but doesn't surprise me. If its multanova then you may be in luck as they do tolerate alot.

I never got fined in the UK (15 years), but 2 week holiday in Vic in April doing 109 on the freeway got a ticket. And they arent cheap (150+) plus 1 pt where for the same offence in WA its $75 plus no pts

Then this weekend over a hill here in QLD and I think doing 66-68 (depending on where you head is looking at the speedo) in a 60 after the rise of a hill, a nice van parked up. Problem is no flash so you never know if you got caught. What was worse is that bit of road goes from 50,60,70,60 all within around 2km of each other. You really dont know what it is! Speed limit lotto. Probably best to do 40 everywhere as that is really what they all want you to do - and one day it will happen.

Dont try and concentrate on the road or your directions or the scenery, just make sure you look only for speed limit signs and your speedo in the car at ALL times!

Wendy66 Jul 25th 2010 11:02 pm

Have been driving since 1986 in the UK and moved over here in 2009.

In the UK was never stopped and breathe tested or caught for speeding in the 23 years.

Since I've been here, I've been breathe tested about 4 times and the other week I was doing 121 in a 100 zone, the copper coming towards me put his lights on and got me, very nice bloke though and put down I was doing just under 10km over the limit. Resulting in 1 point and $80 ish fine.

Hubby has had a speeding fine for just over 60 in a 60 zone and been breathe tested 5 times.

Haven't got a problem with any of the above. :thumbup: My fault for going over the limit, it's a maximum limit after all.

Am very much under the impression here, if you've had a drink and drive you'll be caught sooner or later......... and speed; you'll get caught. It's slowed me down.

paddyo Jul 26th 2010 1:29 am

Originally Posted by Wendy66 (Post 8727822)
Have been driving since 1986 in the UK and moved over here in 2009.

In the UK was never stopped and breathe tested or caught for speeding in the 23 years.

Since I've been here, I've been breathe tested about 4 times and the other week I was doing 121 in a 100 zone, the copper coming towards me put his lights on and got me, very nice bloke though and put down I was doing just under 10km over the limit. Resulting in 1 point and $80 ish fine.

Hubby has had a speeding fine for just over 60 in a 60 zone and been breathe tested 5 times.

Haven't got a problem with any of the above. :thumbup: My fault for going over the limit, it's a maximum limit after all.

Am very much under the impression here, if you've had a drink and drive you'll be caught sooner or later......... and speed; you'll get caught. It's slowed me down.

I have no problem with speed restrictions...but.....there is no Standard here. In the UK you know that a Motorway is 70, an A road is 70 for dual carriageway and 60 for single carriageway, built up areas is 40 and reduced to 30 near schools.
Here, there is no simple logic to it, you can be on a Highway (yeah right..what bloody highway do you know has traffic lights every 100 yds??? Talking about Pacific Highway on North Shore here) and as one poster pointed out you HAVE to look at the signs to check what the limit it. It is 110...no now its 100...oh no now its 80....oh hold on its 110 again....oh slow down its back down to 80!!! Arghhhh!!
Its that random change which forces you to look at the signs and NOT the road, which surely is the area you should be looking at and thus causes accidents.
So yes, make the speed limit, but for gods sake make it standard you bunch of morons!!!

Swerv-o Jul 26th 2010 1:32 am

Originally Posted by mark213 (Post 8727779)
I know that bit on the Roe Highway and its a crap limit. It changes down from 100 to 80 miles before its needed - never seen a camera there but doesn't surprise me. If its multanova then you may be in luck as they do tolerate alot.

I never got fined in the UK (15 years), but 2 week holiday in Vic in April doing 109 on the freeway got a ticket. And they arent cheap (150+) plus 1 pt where for the same offence in WA its $75 plus no pts

Then this weekend over a hill here in QLD and I think doing 66-68 (depending on where you head is looking at the speedo) in a 60 after the rise of a hill, a nice van parked up. Problem is no flash so you never know if you got caught. What was worse is that bit of road goes from 50,60,70,60 all within around 2km of each other. You really dont know what it is! Speed limit lotto. Probably best to do 40 everywhere as that is really what they all want you to do - and one day it will happen.

Dont try and concentrate on the road or your directions or the scenery, just make sure you look only for speed limit signs and your speedo in the car at ALL times!

Yes, the authorities here are obsessed with speeding, as if it is the only contributing factor to accidents, and it really does appear that the speed limits are so variable deliberately to catch out the unwary motorist.

At least in WA you have the luxury of being able to use the radar detectors - can give you a much better idea of when a high incident stretch of road is approaching. If I could guarantee that they were 100% undetectable, I think I would probably use one in NSW...

S

Swerv-o Jul 26th 2010 1:33 am

Originally Posted by paddyo (Post 8728011)
I have no problem with speed restrictions...but.....there is no Standard here. In the UK you know that a Motorway is 70, an A road is 70 for dual carriageway and 60 for single carriageway, built up areas is 40 and reduced to 30 near schools.
Here, there is no simple logic to it, you can be on a Highway (yeah right..what bloody highway do you know has traffic lights every 100 yds??? Talking about Pacific Highway on North Shore here) and as one poster pointed out you HAVE to look at the signs to check what the limit it. It is 110...no now its 100...oh no now its 80....oh hold on its 110 again....oh slow down its back down to 80!!! Arghhhh!!
Its that random change which forces you to look at the signs and NOT the road, which surely is the area you should be looking at and thus causes accidents.
So yes, make the speed limit, but for gods sake make it standard you bunch of morons!!!

Amen!

S

iamthecreaturefromuranus Jul 26th 2010 1:38 am

Originally Posted by paddyo (Post 8728011)
It is 110...no now its 100...oh no now its 80....oh hold on its 110 again....oh slow down its back down to 80!!! Arghhhh!!

There used to be a 'section' of the Princes Highway, heading South through NSW where the speed limit changed in the space of 10 FOOT, going from 80 to 90 and back to 80 again !!

It's and area of winding road and the speed limit reduces at every bend and then increases again every straight... which would be fine if the straights were more than 30 or 40 yards... but there not. The speed limits are up and down all over the place.

JAJ Jul 26th 2010 1:54 am

Originally Posted by Wendy66 (Post 8727822)
My fault for going over the limit, it's a maximum limit after all.

Assuming that the limit is really set for safety reasons - as opposed to raising revenue.

Red_V_Roger Jul 26th 2010 2:48 am

Originally Posted by mark213 (Post 8727779)
What was worse is that bit of road goes from 50,60,70,60 all within around 2km of each other.

I agree, look at the Inner City By-Pass changes in Brisbane....the most stupid thing on this section of road is that it increases to 80 as you go into the tunnel!

Wol Jul 26th 2010 3:38 am

Originally Posted by Swerv-o (Post 8728012)
Yes, the authorities here are obsessed with speeding, as if it is the only contributing factor to accidents, and it really does appear that the speed limits are so variable deliberately to catch out the unwary motorist.
S

Speed rarely *causes* an accident (not talking about hooning at 150 in a 50 limit): it obviously increases the injury/death result of an accident.

The RTA is such an unaccountable mafia that common sense plays no part in the road rules enforcement here. Whatever you say about the UK or US police, they do use their discretion when it's justified.

Swerv-o Jul 26th 2010 3:43 am

Originally Posted by Wol (Post 8728156)
Speed rarely *causes* an accident (not talking about hooning at 150 in a 50 limit): it obviously increases the injury/death result of an accident.

The RTA is such an unaccountable mafia that common sense plays no part in the road rules enforcement here. Whatever you say about the UK or US police, they do use their discretion when it's justified.

Yes, I absolutely agree on all counts.

S