Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

1st June Count Down

1st June Count Down

Old May 27th 2007, 1:11 pm
What am I doing??!!

naifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nice
Default 1st June Count Down

We (my wife, 4 year old son and me) will be leaving the UK for Melbourne on 1st June.

I only got offered the job about 12 weeks ago!

Before that we had no plans to emigrate and had never really considered it.
It's all been a complete whirlwind.

The job I have over there is permanent (the head office of the UK company I work for now) but due to the hurried nature of everything we had to go for 457 visas and go for PR once we get there.

Our heads are in the clouds - are we doing the right thing? who knows - but we just have to try our best.

Needless to say we are more shocked and emotional than excited. I am sure that is normal though and many of you have been through it yourselves.

Thanks for listening!
Old May 27th 2007, 1:26 pm
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1st June Count Down

Originally Posted by naifyboy
We (my wife, 4 year old son and me) will be leaving the UK for Melbourne on 1st June.

The job I have over there is permanent (the head office of the UK company I work for now) but due to the hurried nature of everything we had to go for 457 visas and go for PR once we get there.

Our heads are in the clouds - are we doing the right thing? who knows - but we just have to try our best.

Needless to say we are more shocked and emotional than excited. I am sure that is normal though and many of you have been through it yourselves.

Thanks for listening!
Wow, indeed a whirlwind move....good luck with it all. There are quite a few of us over here happy to listen and talk when you get here should you feel the need

As for whether you're doing the right thing....well, to me it seems there is no wrong or right, just decisions made and acted upon. Maybe in hindsight we can say good or bad, but at the time who knows what is for the best....that's the beauty of life, when you have the choice

Good luck
Old May 27th 2007, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

nigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud of

Hi

Just wanted to say, good luck and congratulations. As my Mum used to say if it feels right just do it... life is not a rehearsal.

I used to be an Ipswich girl before we emigrated to Cornwall... so I can appreciate the appeal of Oz!!!

Best wishes

Sarah
Old May 27th 2007, 1:42 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

fantastic,good luck to you..

i hope you and the family have a great new life in australia..
Old May 27th 2007, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
Wow, indeed a whirlwind move....good luck with it all. There are quite a few of us over here happy to listen and talk when you get here should you feel the need

As for whether you're doing the right thing....well, to me it seems there is no wrong or right, just decisions made and acted upon. Maybe in hindsight we can say good or bad, but at the time who knows what is for the best....that's the beauty of life, when you have the choice

Good luck
I agree. No right of wrongs really just one great experience. Better than sitting there and thinking what if!!! You are brave enough to do it. Sometimes on here we forget that we are the brave ones many just sit and think about it.

Good luck with the move and new job.

J
Old May 27th 2007, 2:37 pm
Account Closed

daisylilymum is an unknown quantity at this point

Best of luck. What do you do for a living? Will your wife work too? Hope it all works out for you
Old May 27th 2007, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

Location: woodbridge suffolk hoping to go live northside brisbane
suffolk nuts has a brilliant futuresuffolk nuts has a brilliant futuresuffolk nuts has a brilliant futuresuffolk nuts has a brilliant futuresuffolk nuts has a brilliant futuresuffolk nuts has a brilliant future

good luck to you all for your new life in australia hope it all works out for you karen&rob
Old May 27th 2007, 5:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

sals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to all

Thanks for listening!
Fantastic, good luck and hope you all have a blast. Maybe a positive thing it all happening so quickly with no real emmigration plans before, at least you don't have time to build it up to something it turns out not to be, get to go with an open mind and not too many preconceived ideas. All the best x
Old May 27th 2007, 11:24 pm
What am I doing??!!

naifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nice

Thanks everyone - many great words of wisdom!

You are all so supportive and understand what we are going through.

We will give it our best shot and try and hang in there.

I honestly beleive we will have a better lifestyle - just need to get over the shock factor - God, we are going to miss our freinds, family and way of life big time, but i feel sure this is right for us.

Sunday night - Midnight - as I type this - just said goodbye to my childhood friends after a few beers and a meal - tuff or what! Not to mention family that comes on Tuesday - This is the hardest thing I have ever had to do!

Thanks again everyone. It's funny how you can talk to forum members you have never met better than friends or family!
Old May 28th 2007, 6:55 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Thanks for listening!
Good luck with your new lives. I think I read that you're moving to Berwick. Is that a long term destination or may you move around Melbourne? If you 're ever in the North Eastern suburbs drop in for a coffee.

I've friends in Kesgrave. Don't suppose you work for BT too?

Sometimes I don't think it matters how long you plan, some of us love Melbourne and Australia on sight, others never settle. You've got your work cut out but for many there are no regrets.

All the best.

Flip
Old Jun 1st 2007, 12:45 am
Just Joined

jimwif is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for listening!
Congratulations on the visa mate. Word of warning. On a 457 you will likely not be eligible for medicare but should be able to do the reciprocal health thing assuming you are British. One way out is to get your company to agree before hand to take care of your private medical insurance and get it documented that they will sponsor you for PR as soon as you get Aus (as an added insurance).

Please familiarize yourself with the rights of a 457 holder. There are many threads on that on BE. Equipped with the right information and attitude, you will have a great time in Aus.

I wish you the best
Old Jun 1st 2007, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

Wow that is a whirlwind move. Good luck and I hope it all goes well.
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 11:30 pm
What am I doing??!!

Thanks everyone - we got in last night.

Currently in Narre Warren whilst we look for a house to rent over the next few days.

Saying goodbye to the family was the hardest thing i have ever had to do!!!
I feel I can do anything now!
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 11:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for listening!
Wow best of luck with the move hardly had time to get second thoughts eh?
All the best
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Bishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant future

BY the time you read this you will be there!!!! Lucky things!!!! Good luck with the move and settling in. Post back on here to let us all know how its going, its great to hear peoples stories.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.