Reload this Page >

1st Home Buyer - Stamp Duty - Sydney

1st Home Buyer - Stamp Duty - Sydney

Old Sep 7th 2009, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

msn81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1st Home Buyer - Stamp Duty - Sydney

Hi all,

My wife and I are looking to buy our first property in Sydney. We're looking to buy in early 2010 and want to know if Stamp Duty will still be waivered or is this concession due to end at any time?

For Information, we are both OZ PRs and we'll buy a property under $500K.

Can't seem to find if this is an on-going deal from the govt or just a temporary measure?

Cheers
Mark
Old Sep 7th 2009, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1st Home Buyer - Stamp Duty - Sydney

No stamp duty for first home under $500k was there before the stimulus so I can't see why it should be removed when the stimulus is removed
Old Sep 8th 2009, 12:34 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spottydog
No stamp duty for first home under $500k was there before the stimulus so I can't see why it should be removed when the stimulus is removed

Stamp Duty concessions are a state responsibility, not a Federal one. So, even when the federal stimulus packages eventually wind ip, the State ones don't have to.

That's not saying that they won't mind you - the NSW budget is in a shocking state, and it wouldn't surprise me if they did meddle with this to try and save some cash.

S
Old Sep 8th 2009, 9:00 am
ABCDiamond

There is something hitting the news at the moment about people from overseas who have been property owners in their own country being eligible for various grants as they are first home buyers in Australia.

This has never really been out in the public domain, but if it does get picked up on, the government may consider it as something that can be cut back, and gain good political points for doing so...

I wouldn't rely 100% on anything at the moment.

Old Sep 8th 2009, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

varsanik will become famous soon enoughvarsanik will become famous soon enough

I just purchased my first Aus home (> $600K), just over $23k stamp duty.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 9:43 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by varsanik
I just purchased my first Aus home (> $600K), just over $23k stamp duty.
The differences in each state are interesting... for a $600k purchase:
QLD $12,850
VIC $31,070
all other States are somewhere in-between those two.

Old Sep 11th 2009, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

msn81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
There is something hitting the news at the moment about people from overseas who have been property owners in their own country being eligible for various grants as they are first home buyers in Australia.

This has never really been out in the public domain, but if it does get picked up on, the government may consider it as something that can be cut back, and gain good political points for doing so...

I wouldn't rely 100% on anything at the moment.

Thanks ABCDiamond, but this will be our first property ever (anywhere in the world) - we haven't bought before, so even if they do cut back on the grants or concessions it shouldn't affect us?

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
......That's not saying that they won't mind you - the NSW budget is in a shocking state, and it wouldn't surprise me if they did meddle with this to try and save some cash.

S
Swerv-o, thanks for the info, I didn't realise the concession was state dependent. I've looked on the NSW OSR (Office of State Revenue ) .gov website and there is no mention of the Stamp Duty concession being withdrawn at any time. Does no news = good news or do you know of any where else I can find answers?!!

Cheers everyone else for the info also. Interesting.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 11:54 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by msn81
Thanks ABCDiamond, but this will be our first property ever (anywhere in the world) - we haven't bought before, so even if they do cut back on the grants or concessions it shouldn't affect us?

Swerv-o, thanks for the info, I didn't realise the concession was state dependent. I've looked on the NSW OSR (Office of State Revenue ) .gov website and there is no mention of the Stamp Duty concession being withdrawn at any time. Does no news = good news or do you know of any where else I can find answers?!!

Cheers everyone else for the info also. Interesting.
As things stand then, you will be eligible.

There is nothing about it being withdrawn at any time, but with the financial state at the moment, there is the possibility that some bright spark in government, may one day say: "we can save a few dollars here by cancelling this or that".

The QLD government, for example, recently cancelled one benefit that they promised NOT to change during the election campaign, not property related though, but it was done as a money saving idea.