Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

1st Halloween in Oz.. do they celebrate it here much?

1st Halloween in Oz.. do they celebrate it here much?

Old Oct 16th 2008, 1:16 pm
Account Closed

Funky Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 1st Halloween in Oz.. do they celebrate it here much?

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Hallowe'en again.................oh ferk, that means I've been here five years, I'd have got less time for manslaughter
Yes & you have a fitting avatar as well
Old Oct 16th 2008, 2:25 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Funky Monkey
Yes & you have a fitting avatar as well
All part of the plot My leaving presents included a purple witchy hat and a broomstick - I figured leaving on a "date" rather than just a random day would be good, and it was, people remember it
Old Oct 16th 2008, 2:32 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Like you I like "dates". We left on the day before my daughter turned 12. We got a child's fare for her and since we crossed the international date line we skipped her birthday all together. Left San Francisco the 11th August and a few hours later it was suddenly the 13th! Also, my wedding anniversary is my ex-husband's birthday. That one was a fluke, though.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

Satch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to all

After living in the States for a while I have to say I actually miss Halloween and was hoping it was more like the US version out in Oz. Oh well. I think it is a lot of fun as do our kids.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 2:44 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Like you I like "dates". We left on the day before my daughter turned 12. We got a child's fare for her and since we crossed the international date line we skipped her birthday all together. Left San Francisco the 11th August and a few hours later it was suddenly the 13th! Also, my wedding anniversary is my ex-husband's birthday. That one was a fluke, though.
Kind of makes it more special doesn't it, rather than just going on whatever day comes along? I know not everyone is able to choose like that, but it works for me
Old Oct 16th 2008, 8:33 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Kind of makes it more special doesn't it, rather than just going on whatever day comes along? I know not everyone is able to choose like that, but it works for me
I agree Polly - we arrived in Australia on April 1st No it wasn't but it should have been, it was May the week of my sons 12th birthday

Can remember and tell a lot from a date!

Oh I like Halloween, coming from Ireland where November 5th was no special event Halloween was a big thing we had parties and bonfires with the families where we lived no tirck or treat but did dress up and have toffee apples and sparklers.

Last edited by Sandra; Oct 16th 2008 at 8:36 pm.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 4:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

I was surprised no halloween here. We went to the pictures last halloween and saw saw 4. How's that for a halloween movie? Thought there would be at least a few goths out. None. Only a couple of others in the cinema at that time.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 4:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Deutschmaster
I was surprised no halloween here. We went to the pictures last halloween and saw saw 4. How's that for a halloween movie? Thought there would be at least a few goths out. None. Only a couple of others in the cinema at that time.
Come to think of it, I've never even see a Goth in Australia, lol... are they here?

Mikey
Old Oct 17th 2008, 4:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mikeyc
Come to think of it, I've never even see a Goth in Australia, lol... are they here?

Mikey
yup, they're all 15 and hang out on the footsteps outside Flinders station in Melbourne
Old Oct 17th 2008, 4:35 am
Jelly-Belly, tbh

FluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of light

Pre-kids, we used to go to the flicks every Halloween to see the latest horror release. First time I did this was for the Blair Witch Project which actually gave me nightmares for a week!!! Didn't stop me going back year after year for my fright-fest though.. think the last Halloween film I saw was Saw II. Might see if I can download something particularly gory for this year, any suggestions..?
Old Oct 17th 2008, 5:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by FluffieFaerie
Pre-kids, we used to go to the flicks every Halloween to see the latest horror release. First time I did this was for the Blair Witch Project which actually gave me nightmares for a week!!! Didn't stop me going back year after year for my fright-fest though.. think the last Halloween film I saw was Saw II. Might see if I can download something particularly gory for this year, any suggestions..?
Have you seen Tarantino's Hostel? That was so gory there were a few moments I had to look away.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 5:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

Have you seen Tarantino's Hostel? That was so gory there were a few moments I had to look away.
That film was disgusting, number 2 was worse!

Mikey
Old Oct 17th 2008, 5:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mikeyc
That film was disgusting, number 2 was worse!

Mikey
Yes it was wasn't it? I haven't seen the second one.

Still, made me laugh - the portrayal of central Europe. Think that the violence would have been more believable if it had been set in the American mid west like most chainsaw flicks
Old Oct 17th 2008, 5:44 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Satch_Boogie
After living in the States for a while I have to say I actually miss Halloween and was hoping it was more like the US version out in Oz. Oh well. I think it is a lot of fun as do our kids.
I lived in the states too and I also miss Halloween the way it was done there. That's my whole problem with Halloween everywhere else - it's a very, very, very watered down and decidedly crap version of the real thing. In the states people go to huge efforts and have entire haunted houses and the costumes are something else - here (as in the UK) they make no effort whatsoever - you're lucky to get a one dollar witches hat before their grubby hand comes shooting out of the darkness demanding sweets.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 5:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes it was wasn't it? I haven't seen the second one.

Still, made me laugh - the portrayal of central Europe. Think that the violence would have been more believable if it had been set in the American mid west like most chainsaw flicks
Haha yea I reckon.

I have a mate from Slovakia (where the film is set) and he get’s people asking him all the time if it’s really weird and odd like it is in the film. They always make it look like the old soviet union or something.

They second one was disgusting, there was a part where they had a guy alive strapped to a table and another guy was slowly cutting little bit’s off him and then sitting down to eat it, then get up and cut more bits off or where they had an electric saw and started to cut a girls ear off, but slipped.... wasnt nice.

Mikey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.