Reload this Page >

1st Class Sheet Metal Machinists

1st Class Sheet Metal Machinists

Old Jul 14th 2007, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

MRS G will become famous soon enough
Default 1st Class Sheet Metal Machinists

Hi there,

Have any of you applied as a 1st Class Sheet Metal Machinist and where are you moving to in Oz or where have you moved to for jobs? We are hoping to be in Oz next year but we are wondering where is the best place to go for jobs? My OH is a CNC machinist currently doing punching. He doesn't want to do this forever but will have to in the first instance when we get there until he finds some other work. We have had a look on the job websites but I know a lot of people have problems finding work out there so I was just wondering if people got work ok.

Many thanks

Mrs G
Old Jul 14th 2007, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

julie wareham is a jewel in the roughjulie wareham is a jewel in the roughjulie wareham is a jewel in the roughjulie wareham is a jewel in the roughjulie wareham is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: 1st Class Sheet Metal Machinists

my oh applied for loads off the jobsites, he has now gone over on a reccy and before he went emailed loads of agencies and individual firms to see if they would be interested in seeing him over half said yes and he will be seeing them in the next two weeks, they all know he needs 457 sponsorship and were still prepared to see him and quite a few said they would be able to help.
Old Jul 14th 2007, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Julie,

Thanks for your reply. What area is your OH going for his reccie? Was he applying for jobs in any specific area?

Mrs g
Old Jul 14th 2007, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

Malcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to all

Hi, i can only give you my opinion on the two places i visited earlier this year on a reccie, Perth and Adelaide. I'm a toolmaker/fitter by trade but hope to change my career after i've settled. Perth had a number of jobs advertised, both North and South of the river and I felt confident of gaining employment there. I found Adelaide had less to offer, especially in the Southern suburbs where i'd hope to settle. Manufacturing is mainly based in the North area around Elizabeth. Also i think Perth would be a lot easier to find employment in another line of work as they are so short of workers due to the mining industry.
Do have any idea what part you are hoping to move to? From what i have seen though is that CNC work is advertised pretty much everywhere. Don't be put off if they don't respond to your emails, it's a different case when you are actually in the country.
Best of luck
Old Jul 14th 2007, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

julie wareham is a jewel in the roughjulie wareham is a jewel in the roughjulie wareham is a jewel in the roughjulie wareham is a jewel in the roughjulie wareham is a jewel in the rough

we are looking at perth have been out a couple of times and liked it, plenty of sheet metal work, weler fabricator, machine operators, quite a lot of expats in perth and surrounding suburbs so can still get an english fix if you need it but it will be so easy to fit into the aussie way of life and living.
Old Jul 15th 2007, 12:40 pm
Banned

Nursebank will become famous soon enoughNursebank will become famous soon enough

Is there much work for sheet metal workers in Perth, Brissie etc.

Just wondering what the wages are like and the number of companies looking to recruit in this type of work?

Thanks
Old Jul 15th 2007, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies. We might be going to Adelaide as we have family there and my OH might get a job with someone he knows there (not sheet metal though). If he doesn't get that job though he will have to do sheet metal. I don't want to live in the northern suburbs in Adelaide though. We have also considered northern Queensland but it would all depend on the wages. Some of the jobs advertised don't seem to state the wages either. I wasn't considering going to Perth though but it might we worth checking out.

Mrs g