Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

1998 Mitsubishi Pajero - Seized Engine - What now?

1998 Mitsubishi Pajero - Seized Engine - What now?

Old Sep 3rd 2012, 9:08 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Question 1998 Mitsubishi Pajero - Seized Engine - What now?

Hey, just thought I would pop on and seek some advice from you lovely folk as you're normally very helpful! We have a Pajero, had it a year, it's been a piece of crap since the day and hour we got it, but it's finally bitten the dust when the engine seized last week. So we now have a glorified paperweight on the driveway, which apart from the engine not working, is in otherwise, decent condition! (YES REALLY LOL) So what do we do with it now? We know we could strip it and sell the parts, but that'd be time consuming, and we don't have all the kit to do that with, so has anyone any better advice?

(Also, how do we go about getting a refund on the rego etc and do we phone RACQ and cancel the insurance, or just keep that running and change the vehicle details on it when we get something else, this week or next?)

Thanks everyone...

EDIT: it'd prob cost more to replace the engine than the cars worth, so we're just looking for the most cost effective way to get rid of it lol

Last edited by Jen1977ni; Sep 3rd 2012 at 9:16 pm.
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 10:59 pm
Spud

spuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1998 Mitsubishi Pajero - Seized Engine - What now?

I had a mitsubishi challenger with a knackered engine last year. I bought an engine for it off ebay for $850, had it fitted for $600 by a local mechanic. There seems to be plenty of engines around - try wreckers yards.

The main engine block will be the same as other Mitsubishi models, so an engine from a different model might be OK if you can swap out your exisiting injection / manifold etc. Check to see if it.s a 6G72 engine for example. That was a 3.0 V6 used in Pajero's, Challengers , Tritons etc.

Last edited by spuddyo; Sep 3rd 2012 at 11:02 pm.
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 11:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud of

What engine is it? What year is it?

What is the actual issue?
Did it knock?
Is there metal in the sump?
Does it have all it's fluids?
Did you do a compression test?
Does it turn manually?

Easiest thing is to get a cheap 2nd hand engine and swap it in.

Swapping an engine is a day job if you've got the right tools and are swapping like for like.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 12:23 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bibbs
Easiest thing is to get a cheap 2nd hand engine and swap it in.

Swapping an engine is a day job if you've got the right tools and are swapping like for like.
You do make it sound so easy. Why not pop round and swap the engine for Jen? Will only take you a couple of hours, surely?
Old Sep 4th 2012, 12:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
You do make it sound so easy. Why not pop round and swap the engine for Jen? Will only take you a couple of hours, surely?
This is the internet.

In the real world, which I do have some experience of,(quiet at the back) there are all sorts of nuisances when swapping engines, taking off all the odds and sods, getting the mount in place....
Old Sep 4th 2012, 12:41 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

On a serious note, I'm sure that Bibbs could swap over the engine. I think I'm just a bit jealous that I don't have the skills / experience. But if it wasn't for people like me, mechanics wouldn't have very many customers.

Jen - can you not get your local mechanic to buy an engine off ebay and sort this out for you?? Might cost you $1,500 or $2,000... but it's gonna be cheaper than getting a new car.

I've seen what you can get 2nd hand for $2,000 over here. Trust me, they aren't that flash.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 2:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

On a serious note, I'm sure that Bibbs could swap over the engine. I think I'm just a bit jealous that I don't have the skills / experience. But if it wasn't for people like me, mechanics wouldn't have very many customers.

Jen - can you not get your local mechanic to buy an engine off ebay and sort this out for you?? Might cost you $1,500 or $2,000... but it's gonna be cheaper than getting a new car.

I've seen what you can get 2nd hand for $2,000 over here. Trust me, they aren't that flash.
Agreed - or source the engine yourself and marry them up at the mechanics - easier said than done, too!
Old Sep 4th 2012, 3:08 am
Forum Regular

nicolac34 is an unknown quantity at this point

My brother does this all the time (shame your in QLD!) buys pajeros for next to nothing because the engine has seized, replaces the engine and sells on for tripple the price (Yup a 1998 Paj in WA would still be worth around $6-7k in general working condition).

I'd put an ad up on gumtree and ask if there are any mechanics out there willing to earn a bit of cash on the side.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 3:18 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Petrol or diesel?
Do a Google search for "secondhand mitsubishi engine" - there are plenty of suppliers out there.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 10:27 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking of rolling down a steep hill and jumping out at the right time, not like what Tarzan does.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 10:41 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

You could rent it out to illegal immigrants, they are as big as my old flat in the UK.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 4:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Bibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud of

Well I've swapped an engine on my own over 2 days, with a hoist and a socket set (Honda S2000). I did a bit of work to the new one before I put it in, so it took a little longer.

I've also assisted mates with everything from small 4 pot engines to a v8 (Celica GT4s, CRXs, 200sx, Supra, IS400).

And I'm not a mechanic. I'm an IT desk jockey.

The hardest part was waiting for a nice day to do it on.

Generally, like for like engine swaps are not hard. Easier if you take a photo of every bolt/nut/hose and then flick through them in reverse when putting the new one in. It's just like big lego.

But my point was it shouldn't be expensive to get someone mechanically minded to do this. It's better than scrapping the whole car.

If Jen wanted to fly me and the wife over from Perth, supply food, beers, accomodation and pay my hourly rate. I'd be happy to do it (it would not be cheap).
Old Sep 11th 2012, 9:50 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

HAHA impressive! lol
Originally Posted by Bibbs
Well I've swapped an engine on my own over 2 days, with a hoist and a socket set (Honda S2000). I did a bit of work to the new one before I put it in, so it took a little longer.

I've also assisted mates with everything from small 4 pot engines to a v8 (Celica GT4s, CRXs, 200sx, Supra, IS400).

And I'm not a mechanic. I'm an IT desk jockey.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g5...6042008121.jpg

The hardest part was waiting for a nice day to do it on.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g5...6042008115.jpg

Generally, like for like engine swaps are not hard. Easier if you take a photo of every bolt/nut/hose and then flick through them in reverse when putting the new one in. It's just like big lego.

But my point was it shouldn't be expensive to get someone mechanically minded to do this. It's better than scrapping the whole car.

If Jen wanted to fly me and the wife over from Perth, supply food, beers, accomodation and pay my hourly rate. I'd be happy to do it (it would not be cheap).
Old Sep 11th 2012, 12:12 pm
Account Open

Nice one Bibbs !!!!

I'm sure Jen is booking your tickets over, as I type this...

I'll contribute towards the beers.