Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

19 yrs in sydney and still undecided

19 yrs in sydney and still undecided

Old May 17th 2008, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

sfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud of
Smile 19 yrs in sydney and still undecided

Hi
I am new to this site even after 19 years of living in OZ. We moved to sydney after getting married in england have one son 11yrs old in yr 5 here , we have no family here all are in uk so we have been back many times and they have been here but now parents are getting too old to keep travelling and we are considering moving back, friends here both english and aussies think we are mad but I am not sure if I want to stay here forever and OH feel s the same. I would love to hear from anyone else who has made the move or considering it after such a long time. It does worry me how son would find uk as I understand at his age he should start year 7 in sep when now he is only half way through year 5. we live in sydney lovely leafy suberb very quiet but I especially miss family and doesnt seem to get easier with time
Old May 17th 2008, 2:20 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 19 yrs in sydney and still undecided

Originally Posted by sfr09
Hi
I am new to this site even after 19 years of living in OZ. We moved to sydney after getting married in england have one son 11yrs old in yr 5 here , we have no family here all are in uk so we have been back many times and they have been here but now parents are getting too old to keep travelling and we are considering moving back, friends here both english and aussies think we are mad but I am not sure if I want to stay here forever and OH feel s the same. I would love to hear from anyone else who has made the move or considering it after such a long time. It does worry me how son would find uk as I understand at his age he should start year 7 in sep when now he is only half way through year 5. we live in sydney lovely leafy suberb very quiet but I especially miss family and doesnt seem to get easier with time
Nobody could accuse you of not giving it long enough . But in all seriousness - what's stopping you? We each live in the place that meets our needs and if the call of family roots and ageing parents make you want to go, then why not? Kids are always a worry, but if you pick where you live wisely, there's no reason why they shouldn't settle in.
Old May 17th 2008, 2:35 pm
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Just wondering why your son is only in year 5? My son was 11 in March and is in year 6.
Old May 17th 2008, 4:20 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
One thing to make sure of if you do decide to make the move is obtain your Australian citizenship first, if you've not done so already.
Old May 17th 2008, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

We've been here 22 yrs and are in the same boat...also live in 'leafy suburb' low crime, great schools etc, etc. Our kids are much older than yours, so you can imagine our predicament! My mum is actually out here in Sydney just to complicate matters, but we miss all the things to do in the UK, the culture, the humour, the daily banter, even miss the weather! Worry about knife crime, hoodies etc....It's a nightmare isn't it? I'm so worried about stuffing things up for my kids.
Old May 18th 2008, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

sfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud of

HI
Thanks for replies , we have citizenship I was born here my parents were 10 pounds poms and went back after about 15 years as my mum missed family, they are still there funny how history repeats itself. My son is in year 5 as his birthday end of april and he started school when he was 5 as was advised by preschool but I am sure in the UK she should be staring year 7 this sep, which might be hard I dont know.
Old May 18th 2008, 2:32 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

HI
Thanks for replies , we have citizenship I was born here my parents were 10 pounds poms and went back after about 15 years as my mum missed family, they are still there funny how history repeats itself. My son is in year 5 as his birthday end of april and he started school when he was 5 as was advised by preschool but I am sure in the UK she should be staring year 7 this sep, which might be hard I dont know.
As your're British by descent, is your spouse U.K. born?

If not, then you need to be aware that your son is not a British citizen and will need a visa to move to the U.K.

If your spouse isn't British or from another EEA state (or Switzerland) then spouse will also need a visa, son could be included on same application.
Old May 18th 2008, 2:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nightnurse2
Just wondering why your son is only in year 5? My son was 11 in March and is in year 6.
My son isn't 11 until end of september and he's in year 6 too.
Old May 20th 2008, 1:13 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: 19 yrs in sydney and still undecided

Hi
we all have dual passports , OH is also english and son has been to the Uk a few times and loves football and all the attention he gets from relatives when we visit and when they come here. He has only known sydney and I realise very different holidays to actually living there. Anyway I was very pleased to find this site and read about everyone else experience makes you realise you are not alone
Old May 20th 2008, 1:53 am
Forum Regular

scotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nice

Good time to take the plunge from an exchange rate point of view
Old May 20th 2008, 2:31 am
Forum Regular

yes thats right , have decicided to go back in june for a family wedding so will check out schools then I guess can always rent out house here for a while
Old May 20th 2008, 2:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nightnurse2
Different states have different starting ages, 9 different systems in OZ all up

NSW had different starting ages, eg were in qld we have a 11 year old in grade 7. Move to NSW or VIC and he goes back.
Old May 20th 2008, 2:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Been here since 2000. Was more settled in year one and two than now. Bored witless would probably sum it up, feel very much australia has become been there done that 150,000 times and yep we have all the leafy suburb stuff too...

Only real advice is if your going back grade 5 is probably not the worse time to go, altough as you have probably already guessed with the UK system quite some catching up to do. However if you wait, imagine the process when he is in grade 10,11,12, or older even, further education and relationship.

Good luck - start off with a trip back, be prepared for the emotions that go with that, for us rather than the UK filling us with horror it made us realise what were missing. But round and round back to the kids ages again.
Old May 20th 2008, 10:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

If you can go, then go. Dont let yourself get stuck here because after 19 years and you still arent sure then it isnt going to get any better. I regret not having been more active in making decisions when we had the possibility of making different decisions. Now we are stuck here - well, I am stuck, the DH, an Aussie, is perfectly happy to be here and will not leave. If you leave it much longer then your son really will be under more pressure educationally. Like J & R I have been bored witless for a long time!
Old May 20th 2008, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Glasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond repute

Same for me. 18 years and stuck too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.