Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

18 and going alone, can you help?

18 and going alone, can you help?

Old May 25th 2006, 8:44 am

df79 will become famous soon enoughdf79 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 18 and going alone, can you help?

Hey Liam

Good luck to you, the guys on here have given you some good advice, I'm glad to hear you've got a good support network in Oz. If you get your first car, you won't go far wrong with checking out some of the noticeboards in the hostels on Pitt St - you're bound to get a good deal for your first car.

Take care and let everyone know how your doin

David

Originally Posted by Liamruscoe
Ok just called my parents they say that after 2 years from innitially entering the country Australia Immigration found them and gave the money back, they did not request it.

They are also now assuring me that I can go without money submitted on the basis that Au had it for 2 years and gave it back of there own accord without specificaly knowing that we were not still in australia.

Emailing Immigration anyway! haha

Hey David, I'll be taking a few quid with me, probably about 2k. measly I know but I've got aunties uncles, grans and grandads out there and I'll have a job lined up as soon as I arrive
Old May 26th 2006, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

Liamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really nice

Originally Posted by Shellfish
Hi Liam,

Just wanted to wish you the best of luck. Please let us know how you get on. Which part of Australia are you going to?
Hi Shell

Im going Brisbane, saying that I dont think I have a choice at first because its one of them 1 area only visas, but ill be able to move around, just as long as I keep a fixed address (like my nans house or something)

My tickets came through today, I got them from expedia.co.uk they are quick easy and always have the cheap deals, I got my 1 way for £440!

I thought I would be really exited when I booked it all but I cant get my head round it at the moment it just seems too big to think about. Because its such a big move I cant even comprihend myself there, even though ive been twice before!! I also feel like its ages away even though it just 12 weeks now.

Anyone else get this? or am i just weird

Liam
Old May 26th 2006, 1:27 pm

df79 will become famous soon enoughdf79 will become famous soon enough

Liam I went over to work in Sydney when I was 23 in 2003 and I was fine until I got to Heathrow, then I got nervous. I don't recommend this at all, but I had 6 pints of Guiness in 1 1/2 hours and can't remember getting on the plane, I then woke up over East Siberia and thought (quote)'what the f*** am I doing?'

So mate it's totally normal to feel nervous about something like this - at any age. I'm sure when you land and catch up with a few people and get sunburnt you'll know you've made the right decision.

Heres for the Oprah bit -

If you want to make anything of yourself in life you have to take risks, which takes guts, however there is one thing that I and a lot of pople on this forum can't risk thats turning round in x years and saying what if, this is not a dress rehearsal and so what if it doesn't work out - at least you tried and its better than staying in the same shite town for the rest of your life - like most of your mates/peers will.

You can make it work simply because you've already demonstrated the guts to go in the first place

God I'm in a nice mood today!

David

Im going Brisbane, saying that I dont think I have a choice at first because its one of them 1 area only visas, but ill be able to move around, just as long as I keep a fixed address (like my nans house or something)

My tickets came through today, I got them from expedia.co.uk they are quick easy and always have the cheap deals, I got my 1 way for £440!

I thought I would be really exited when I booked it all but I cant get my head round it at the moment it just seems too big to think about. Because its such a big move I cant even comprihend myself there, even though ive been twice before!! I also feel like its ages away even though it just 12 weeks now.

Anyone else get this? or am i just weird

Liam[/QUOTE]
Old May 26th 2006, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

Cam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud of

Just wanted to add my best wishes Liam. It's a big step at 18 but you seem to be pretty well organised and with all that enthusiasm I reckon you're just the sort of person to make a go of it.

Hope you have a great time.
Old May 26th 2006, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

Liamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really nice
Smile Re: 18 and going alone, can you help?

Originally Posted by df79
Liam I went over to work in Sydney when I was 23 in 2003 and I was fine until I got to Heathrow, then I got nervous. I don't recommend this at all, but I had 6 pints of Guiness in 1 1/2 hours and can't remember getting on the plane, I then woke up over East Siberia and thought (quote)'what the f*** am I doing?'

So mate it's totally normal to feel nervous about something like this - at any age. I'm sure when you land and catch up with a few people and get sunburnt you'll know you've made the right decision.

Heres for the Oprah bit -

If you want to make anything of yourself in life you have to take risks, which takes guts, however there is one thing that I and a lot of pople on this forum can't risk thats turning round in x years and saying what if, this is not a dress rehearsal and so what if it doesn't work out - at least you tried and its better than staying in the same shite town for the rest of your life - like most of your mates/peers will.

You can make it work simply because you've already demonstrated the guts to go in the first place

God I'm in a nice mood today!

David
Could'nt agree more! if you dont do these things in life then you'll always think about them when its too late.

Your right about the staying the same town thing, all my mates will always be here, and that might sound sad, but its gonna be good for me to think that its always here for me. But i have much higher expectations of my life to just stay around.

Anyone given the oppertunity has got to try it. The less you have to loose the better

I like to see it all as a challenge, im looking forward to being really scared/nervous, I thrive on that sort of thing. It often makes me perform better.

I just have to keep thinking possitive
Old May 26th 2006, 2:24 pm

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

Hi Liam,

My daughter is 18 and joining me in Adelaide on a 139 visa in July so I imagine she's going through the same kind of thoughts that you are; she can't wait to get here, I know that.

Without wanting to complicate things for you, if your visa is valid until May 2008 I guess it must have been granted the month before ours in 2003; I'm pretty sure the requirement to stay in the designated area, which came into force since then (along with a change in the status of this visa type from permanent like ours to temporary), wasn't backdated to cover permanent residency visas already granted. I'm already here and I certainly haven't been notified that I have to stay in Adelaide!

So you could actually move anywhere you want within Australia at any time I think. It would be best to be near your relatives to start with though; I stayed with my sister when I arrived and it was really helpful to have that support while I found out how everything works over here and got myself settled.

I hope it all goes well for you; I'm sure you'll have a fantastic life in Aus as you sound determined to make a real go of it.

Good luck!

Elaine
Old May 27th 2006, 8:04 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
Your visa type is skilled designated area sponsered visa which means that your family applying were headed to a specific area and must stay there for a time (18 months / 2 years - I really cant remember). Anyway, point is that there are some conditions to your visa that you will need to check out and ask either your family or Immigration.
This is incorrect information. Currently there are absolutely no conditions like that on a designated area sponsored visa (there will probably be for new applicants from July 2006 but that's another story).

The original poster (Liam) is quite free to go back to Australia and live/work where he likes, as long as his visa is valid.

I think that its vital that you do some background work here. If you family obtained bond money back, it could be that the visa grant has been cancelled. Ask them for the papers to do with this and then check it out carefully. You could always email immigration and find out yourself in a worst case scenario.
For skilled sponsored it's quite normal to get the bond money back after 2 years.
Old May 27th 2006, 8:06 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elaine M
Without wanting to complicate things for you, if your visa is valid until May 2008 I guess it must have been granted the month before ours in 2003; I'm pretty sure the requirement to stay in the designated area, which came into force since then (along with a change in the status of this visa type from permanent like ours to temporary), wasn't backdated to cover permanent residency visas already granted.
No such requirement exists. It may be introduced for new designated area sponsored *applicants* from 1 July 2006, but that's another issue.