175 vs 176 (Govt. Benefits)

175 vs 176 (Govt. Benefits)

Old Feb 24th 2009, 7:36 am
ddb
Forum Regular

ddb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 175 vs 176 (Govt. Benefits)

Hi,

How are the two visas (175 and 176) different when compared on Govt. benefits standpoint?

Are the benefits (CentreLink and Family Assistance) different for these two?
OR
Are they same for both the categories?
Old Feb 24th 2009, 7:59 am
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 175 vs 176 (Govt. Benefits)

Originally Posted by ddb
Hi,

How are the two visas (175 and 176) different when compared on Govt. benefits standpoint?

Are the benefits (CentreLink and Family Assistance) different for these two?
OR
Are they same for both the categories?
As far as I know, there is no difference between 175 and 176 when it comes to eligibility for social benefits.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 11:24 am
ddb
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by caliburn
As far as I know, there is no difference between 175 and 176 when it comes to eligibility for social benefits.
Thanks cali.

Can someone else second cali's opinion?
Old Feb 24th 2009, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold

I Have to ask.. What sort of benefits do you want to claim here then?
Old Feb 24th 2009, 12:43 pm
ddb
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by WelshSarah
I Have to ask.. What sort of benefits do you want to claim here then?
I don't know many but some that I have heard of:

a) Family Tax Benefit
b) Rent Assistance
c) Health Care Cards

etc...
Old Feb 24th 2009, 12:49 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ddb

a) Family Tax Benefit
b) Rent Assistance
c) Health Care Cards

etc...
http://www.centrelink.gov.au/
Old Feb 24th 2009, 12:52 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ddb
Thanks cali.

Can someone else second cali's opinion?
Its not an opinion. Its fact -they are both PR visas, therefore the people on those visas will be entitled to the same benfits as anyone else on a PR visa.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 1:32 pm
ddb
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Its not an opinion. Its fact -they are both PR visas, therefore the people on those visas will be entitled to the same benfits as anyone else on a PR visa.
Since cali said 'As far as I know......', I just wanted someone to second his statement to know for sure.

There couldn't have been anybody better than you to confirm it.

Thanks.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ddb

a) Family Tax Benefit
b) Rent Assistance
c) Health Care Cards

etc...

Coming over self sufficient then....
Old Feb 25th 2009, 12:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Janna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of light

Welsh Sarah,

I have to say that I object to your comment. We will be travelling over eventually when our 175 visa is approved and I hope that we will be able to be self sufficient and have enough money to survive without the need for benefits etc. We do not use any benefits here in the UK other than those that are standard such as tax credits and child benefit.

We both work hard to have what we have here and I hope that when we get to Oz we will land on our feet, but ultimately if that doesn't happen it is a comfort knowing what benefits we will be entitled to if the worst comes to the worst. You've obviously forgotten what it felt like to be leaving your established life in the UK and going to an uncertain future. It is very scary and anything than can cushion that feeling is very welcome!

You may have had an easy ride when you immigrated, but please don't judge other people. Not one persons immigration journey is the same

Oh and lets not forget the 2 year waiting period....

Last edited by Janna and Nick; Feb 25th 2009 at 12:53 pm.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 8:54 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Janna and Nick
There is not waiting period for family benefits. Straight off the plane you could get: family benefit A, B, child care benefit and child care tax rebate. Provided you meet all the critera of course (visa is just one of them).

As far as I know most everything else is subject to the 2 year waiting period.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Janna and Nick
Welsh Sarah,

I have to say that I object to your comment. We will be travelling over eventually when our 175 visa is approved and I hope that we will be able to be self sufficient and have enough money to survive without the need for benefits etc. We do not use any benefits here in the UK other than those that are standard such as tax credits and child benefit.

We both work hard to have what we have here and I hope that when we get to Oz we will land on our feet, but ultimately if that doesn't happen it is a comfort knowing what benefits we will be entitled to if the worst comes to the worst. You've obviously forgotten what it felt like to be leaving your established life in the UK and going to an uncertain future. It is very scary and anything than can cushion that feeling is very welcome!

You may have had an easy ride when you immigrated, but please don't judge other people. Not one persons immigration journey is the same

I havent forgotten what its like to move actually and you have no idea about my circumstance so please dont feel you have the right to comment on them.
I dont think there is such a thing as an easy ride ( something you will find out when you arrive) I do however know that the last thing on my mind while I was packing up my life and shipping it thousands of miles to a strange land was what I could claim once I got here.

Maybe you are just more thorough in your research....

Also..FYI

Theres no such thing as a 2 year waiting period... Some people dont seem to wait for the stamp in their passport to dry before they wing their way to centrelink... I find this depressing and hope that Oz doesnt turn into hand out UK. I think that by moving here there should be a certain time before you can claim anything. You chose to come here so you should have to get on with it. And when I say 'you' I dont mean you as in the OP but 'you' as all us immigrants.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 10:11 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by WelshSarah
Theres no such thing as a 2 year waiting period...
Actually there is a 2 year waiting period for most benefits. The only benefits you can get immediately are family benefits to help with the cost of raising children.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by comet555
Actually there is a 2 year waiting period for most benefits. The only benefits you can get immediately are family benefits to help with the cost of raising children.

Sorry!! Another thing I didnt research before coming here on my stress free, smooth journey in 1st class!!
Old Feb 25th 2009, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Whats a health care card??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.