17 yr old son

Old Feb 12th 2009, 2:37 am
Forum Regular

flump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the rough
Default 17 yr old son

Hi,

i have searched thru a few threads but still none the wiser,
anyway, we have been in oz for 3 months now and have our 3 youngest at school, our eldest who is 17 missed the deadline for Tafe, he will aply for the next semester in june but what i was wondering is , is he too old to attend yr 12 now- he will turn 18 in sept, and if anyone else has any sons of a simliar age he is deperate to make new friends as its harder when he is not in school/tafe yet. hope i don't sound too desperate.
thanks in advance if any replies.
oh, we are in hillarys.

thanks
Old Feb 12th 2009, 2:43 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 17 yr old son

Originally Posted by flump
Hi,

anyway, we have been in oz for 3 months now and have our 3 youngest at school, our eldest who is 17 missed the deadline for Tafe, he will aply for the next semester in june but what i was wondering is , is he too old to attend yr 12 now- he will turn 18 in sept, and if anyone else has any sons of a simliar age he is deperate to make new friends as its harder when he is not in school/tafe yet. hope i don't sound too desperate.
oh, we are in hillarys.

thanks
I think he would be in year 12 now. Go along to your local high school, not sure if that is Padbury or Duncraig and ask.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 2:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Does he have any hobbies? is there any clubs in your area that he is willing to try out?

Might find some friends there too
Old Feb 12th 2009, 3:10 am
Forum Regular

plumbobs has much to be proud ofplumbobs has much to be proud ofplumbobs has much to be proud ofplumbobs has much to be proud ofplumbobs has much to be proud ofplumbobs has much to be proud ofplumbobs has much to be proud ofplumbobs has much to be proud ofplumbobs has much to be proud ofplumbobs has much to be proud ofplumbobs has much to be proud of

Hi my son is 17 we moved to secret harbour two weeks ago we took him to challenger tafe at mandurah where he was given 3 choices of courses that still had places, horticulture which he chose and loves,and 2 pre apprenticeship courses one in car mechanics and the other was dry wall lining, but there was also a reserve list that he could go on because they always have a percentage that drop out, a friends son also 17 came out last week and they managed to get him on an accountancy course at the tafe in rockingham so there are still places out there, otherwise i'm pretty sure he could go into year 12 at senior college
Sue
Old Feb 12th 2009, 4:55 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

oh, we are in hillarys.

thanks
Have him Join the army as an apprentice Mechanic quickly the grants are closing
Old Feb 12th 2009, 5:07 am
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

my sons friend is 17 in June and he has gone into year 11 so he gets used to the subjects and the way they are taught before the exams kick in.

Cant believe how much difference there is in the maths they teach so much harder than UK

So I would think that a 17 year old would have no problem in getting in year 12.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 8:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Only problem would be what they want to do after school. If they want to go into a trade then it probably wouldnt be a problem but if they were looking at uni then it would be a huge problem because they wouldnt have enough credits to get their year 12 scores. There is a scheme which I think is national where kids can do the beginnings of a trade course while still at school.

Alternatively, he could get a job to tide him over until TAFE starts and that would give him a bit of financial independence which he might appreciate.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

JPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to all
Unhappy Re: 17 yr old son

Hi,

oh, we are in hillarys.

thanks
our son is 18 in september and he started year 12 today!
no problems, except for the high fees
Old Feb 13th 2009, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

flump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the rough

hi,

our son will be 18 in sept too so i thought he was too old for yr 12? have u sent yours to private or public?
we r looking at june to start tafe as he has seen a course he would like to do- but missed the first semester. didn't think to ask if there were any places at all for any courses since he decided on one, which is full.
we had his grades(GCSE) coverted as we were advised to get that done but that wasn't what we thought it would be and all it says he has the education level equivalent to yr 11. will he still bebale to get in Tafe with this? he would like to progress onto uni eventually.
sometimes it gets very confusing( well it doensn't take much!)
any one else near hillarys?

thanks for all your replies.
x
Old Feb 13th 2009, 12:12 pm
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

if you dont mind me asking who converted his G.C.S.E's never heard of that done before.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

we had them done by the curriculam council, a careers advisor said they are the peeps we get in touch with do do that.
Old Feb 14th 2009, 5:46 am
aka DORIS

Thank you for that I have an older son who is coming out so will look into that.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 10:44 am
SNH
BE Enthusiast

SNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud of

hi,

our son will be 18 in sept too so i thought he was too old for yr 12?

I'm only speaking from experience here, but I went to school in Australia in years eleven and twelve (the final two years of school). Admittedly, I was in the ACT, which runs a system more similar to a university rather than a school.

Even when I was sixteen we had a handful of nineteen year olds in our classes (in some ACT subjects year eleven and twelve students are put in the same classes). From what I could understand there is some leeway for slightly older students.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

ok, thanks for all your replies, i think i am goin to get in touch with the local high school and see what they advise.