Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

16 years away from the UK, first impressions.

16 years away from the UK, first impressions.

Old Jun 2nd 2005, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 16 years away from the UK, first impressions.

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Been here for about 4 days and really enjoying myself, still have 7 weeks to go. Milton Keynes was my first stop, last time i was there, it was a place to be avoided, sparten, new, and souless. Well my brothers gaffe in Simpson is anything but that, Green, green green, with birds singing, canal glistening, thatched cottages, and fantastic flowing roads, bounded by green tunnels of trees, Boy I didn't realise how much I'd missed the green of England, and I'm getting a very big dose of that now.

Everyone that said the supermarkets where better In england, compared to aussie were 100 pct correct, the prices are not that much more expensive here, and in fact are cheaper on some things like the all important and vital beer. Food choice has improved beyond belief, (thanks EEC). I havn't had a good look at the fruit and vegie section yet, will report when I do.

The M1 and M6 were far more flowing than last time I visited, 'so far' I would compare the traffic rate similar to that on the eastern freeway (melbourne) at about 3.30 pm on a friday, not to bad really.

Petrol is bloody dear here though, twice as expensive by the looks of things, take away food is really overpriced, compared to the cost in the shops, How does that work ? IE; we had a chinese meal for about 7 people, In Melbourne, that would have cost about 50 bucks tops, over here it came to close to 80 bucks, and wasn't anywhere as good (even though we went to the 'good one'')

Had to put in a whinge just to keep my feet on the ground, I feel far better so far on this trip, as last time after 4 days here I really wanted to get back to aussie, This time around, I'm loving it.

more later...
So nice to hear somebody saying something positive about Milton Keynes. I have grown up in the area and watched it being built and on the whole is a great place to live at the moment. The road system is good, there's lots of open spaces, parks and lakes, the shopping's great and the schools are good. Unfortunately MK is becoming a victim of it's own success. More and more expensive housing is being crammed onto tiny plots, the schools, roads and general infrastructure are beginning to show the strain as more people move into the area and crime and vandalism is definitely on the increase. This probably sounds like where you live and the main reasons many of us are looking to move abroad.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bookie
So nice to hear somebody saying something positive about Milton Keynes. I have grown up in the area and watched it being built and on the whole is a great place to live at the moment. The road system is good, there's lots of open spaces, parks and lakes, the shopping's great and the schools are good. Unfortunately MK is becoming a victim of it's own success. More and more expensive housing is being crammed onto tiny plots, the schools, roads and general infrastructure are beginning to show the strain as more people move into the area and crime and vandalism is definitely on the increase. This probably sounds like where you live and the main reasons many of us are looking to move abroad.
Ozzeagle are you coming to East Anglia at all? You've got to do it, oh and Devon and the Lakes and the Peak District! So many places to see! Godd luck with the tour of the UK x
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

TopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bookie
Sounds like Sydney too.
Old Jun 4th 2005, 1:15 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone that said the supermarkets where better In england, compared to aussie were 100 pct correct,
more later...
Hate to say i told you so Actually i don't But anyway, glad you are having a great time, keep us posted
Old Jun 6th 2005, 6:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
Hate to say i told you so Actually i don't But anyway, glad you are having a great time, keep us posted
Right ! back again, 3 days of chasing around green North Wales, visiting exiled elderly exiled relies, has been great. It took me a while to get my first curry in, and unfortunately I was disappointed. Went to a place called the magic spice, in Rhyl, a bangladeshi run place, the food came out ok, but no better than my Local indian restaurant in Coburg, (must have been a case of memories making things taste better). Had a lot of brightly coloured red masalas, that I'd never encountered before. The atmosphere and ambience were heaps better than back in Melbourne, but the food could well have been slightly worse here, very suprising, when you add the factor that it was close to 3 times the cost of my local Indian.
fYI, the meal came to 72 quid, thats close to 180 bucks, it would have been only 80 bucks in at my local restaurant back in Coburg, Melbourne, tops. Take away food here, is also at least 50 pct dearer, yet most other things that we are spending money on are very close to the same price, except for petrol of course.

We have been loving the history of this part of country, seeing places that were built in medival times, the kids are taking it all in, So its been educational for them, and I'm sure will stay in their memories for a long time.

People have been great, I mean people that we don't know, very freindly reactions, from people in the street, right through to shopworkers. So old memories of indifference from people from the past, when I lived here, have been dispelled. Is that because we are tourists, or have people changed in the 16 years since I've been here ? I suspect it's mostly because people have changed. Good news all around really, especially for people that live here in Britain.

So far, after 8 days here, Personally I'd say the gap has narrowed so much in living standards, that materially (save for eating out) and socially that the difference between Aussie and Britain is now very slight, with the only major differences being, Energy prices, Space, and weather.

Anyway back to my holiday, best get the kids out of the parents house, cos they are full of beans, Looks like a 3rd trip down to the Rhyl sea front, and some more arcades this evening 'yawn' (I may try and sneak off down a pub, whilst the wife isn't looking)

Warrington, tomorrow (and my sisters council house Hmm ?? ) Mkeynes the day after, combined with a week of visits to London by train etc, Then onto Crawley, Then a week with about 8 relies in Spain, Hooray, got some sunshine and cheap eating out coming LOL

More later
Old Jun 6th 2005, 7:02 pm
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear you are enjoying yourself ozzyeagle.

Does it feel strange being with people who are your family but whome you haven't seen over the years?
Old Jun 6th 2005, 7:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louise4
Glad to hear you are enjoying yourself ozzyeagle.

Does it feel strange being with people who are your family but whome you haven't seen over the years?

Good question louise, My father and some of my cousins, have visited me in aussie fairly often. Although, I hadn't seen my Brother and sister, for all of those 16 years, It's hard to describe the feeling of seeing someone like my brother who is 10 years younger than me, and was only 23 last time around, and very youthful, now being a fully mature man. Whereas my sister who is only 2 years younger, hadn't changed half as much. The same small difference applies to my Uncles and Aunts, who almost seemed exactly the same, just a bit frailer.

I'm Glad I didn't wait any longer to come back than when I did though. Probably should only leave a Gap of 10 years between visits at the most, to stay in decent touch with relations I would advise.

My mother has been too nervous to travel on a plane, so seeing her almost exactly the same, after 16 years, was a really emotional expereince. (I'm dreading saying goodbye again though)

l
Old Jun 6th 2005, 7:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by glittababe
Ozzeagle are you coming to East Anglia at all? You've got to do it, oh and Devon and the Lakes and the Peak District! So many places to see! Godd luck with the tour of the UK x
Unfortunalty the only family I had in EA, are now residing in Wantirna in Melbourne, I might get as far as cambridge, whilst staying at MK, for a daytrip.

I do like Norfolk though.
Old Jun 6th 2005, 7:23 pm

NKSK is an unknown quantity at this point

Good question louise, My father and some of my cousins, have visited me in aussie fairly often. Although, I hadn't seen my Brother and sister, for all of those 16 years, It's hard to describe the feeling of seeing someone like my brother who is 10 years younger than me, and was only 23 last time around, and very youthful, now being a fully mature man. Whereas my sister who is only 2 years younger, hadn't changed half as much. The same small difference applies to my Uncles and Aunts, who almost seemed exactly the same, just a bit frailer.

I'm Glad I didn't wait any longer to come back than when I did though. Probably should only leave a Gap of 10 years between visits at the most, to stay in decent touch with relations I would advise.

My mother has been too nervous to travel on a plane, so seeing her almost exactly the same, after 16 years, was a really emotional expereince. (I'm dreading saying goodbye again though)

l

You do realise that a few hundred potential migrants will be hanging on for your final verdict? Australia or the UK?

Wish I'd waited before confirming our tickets!!
Old Jun 6th 2005, 7:34 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by NKSK
You do realise that a few hundred potential migrants will be hanging on for your final verdict? Australia or the UK?

Wish I'd waited before confirming our tickets!!
Judging by what ozzieeagle said it looks like not much in it.

I agree with the things in the UK which I have struggled with is the cost of eating out, petrol, weather (more the dark winter nights) and lack of space.

We are in a 2 bed place at the moment and after 15 months really struggling (only me, hubby and cat). Used to so much more space wise, we were spoiled in Oz.

Come on ozzieeagle, what do you say!

M

Old Jun 6th 2005, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Merlot
Judging by what ozzieeagle said it looks like not much in it.

I agree with the things in the UK which I have struggled with is the cost of eating out, petrol, weather (more the dark winter nights) and lack of space.

We are in a 2 bed place at the moment and after 15 months really struggling (only me, hubby and cat). Used to so much more space wise, we were spoiled in Oz.

Come on ozzieeagle, what do you say!

M
it does depend on the area you're leaving to the area your going! Both the UK and aus have some glorious places with spectacular scenery. Equally they both have some right old dives! The uniqueness of the UK has to be its history and beautiful green countryside. Unless you have money, housing is a problem here as most new homes are tiny! Shopping here is fab! We've just had a lovely evening with the kids. Went shopping first then to the cinema to watch the Stars Wars flick. Got out at 8pm and it was still daylight, sun setting, so we went for a walk through the roman ruins of Colchester. Lovely X
Old Jun 6th 2005, 7:57 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by glittababe
it does depend on the area you're leaving to the area your going! Both the UK and aus have some glorious places with spectacular scenery. Equally they both have some right old dives! The uniqueness of the UK has to be its history and beautiful green countryside. Unless you have money, housing is a problem here as most new homes are tiny! Shopping here is fab! We've just had a lovely evening with the kids. Went shopping first then to the cinema to watch the Stars Wars flick. Got out at 8pm and it was still daylight, sun setting, so we went for a walk through the roman ruins of Colchester. Lovely X
Sounds bliss.

Yep, I have concluded that on the whole neither place wins handsdown as far as the superior life. Somedays I miss Oz, others I don't care too much. Just lucky I have a choice.

M

Old Jun 6th 2005, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

sackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant future

I have concluded that on the whole neither place wins handsdown as far as the superior life.
Couldn't agree more. Swings and roundabouts which is why, in my case, it's only the family support element that makes me consider returning to Oz.

Also, I regret to say that in hindsight, career-wise, the 4 years my girlfriend (now wife) and I spent in Sydney did us absolutely no favours.
Old Jun 6th 2005, 8:33 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by sackofspuds
Couldn't agree more. Swings and roundabouts which is why, in my case, it's only the family support element that makes me consider returning to Oz.

Also, I regret to say that in hindsight, career-wise, the 4 years my girlfriend (now wife) and I spent in Sydney did us absolutely no favours.
It is the family support that keeps me in the UK after many years of being without. It is a BIG pull.

M

Old Jun 6th 2005, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sounds bliss.

Yep, I have concluded that on the whole neither place wins handsdown as far as the superior life. Somedays I miss Oz, others I don't care too much. Just lucky I have a choice.

M
Ahh but we have worked hard for our choices! Also the kids love travelling and seeing new places, so we want them to experience as many different cultures as possible!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.