Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

16 years away from the UK, first impressions.

16 years away from the UK, first impressions.

Old Jun 1st 2005, 8:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default 16 years away from the UK, first impressions.

Been here for about 4 days and really enjoying myself, still have 7 weeks to go. Milton Keynes was my first stop, last time i was there, it was a place to be avoided, sparten, new, and souless. Well my brothers gaffe in Simpson is anything but that, Green, green green, with birds singing, canal glistening, thatched cottages, and fantastic flowing roads, bounded by green tunnels of trees, Boy I didn't realise how much I'd missed the green of England, and I'm getting a very big dose of that now.

Everyone that said the supermarkets where better In england, compared to aussie were 100 pct correct, the prices are not that much more expensive here, and in fact are cheaper on some things like the all important and vital beer. Food choice has improved beyond belief, (thanks EEC). I havn't had a good look at the fruit and vegie section yet, will report when I do.

The M1 and M6 were far more flowing than last time I visited, 'so far' I would compare the traffic rate similar to that on the eastern freeway (melbourne) at about 3.30 pm on a friday, not to bad really.

Petrol is bloody dear here though, twice as expensive by the looks of things, take away food is really overpriced, compared to the cost in the shops, How does that work ? IE; we had a chinese meal for about 7 people, In Melbourne, that would have cost about 50 bucks tops, over here it came to close to 80 bucks, and wasn't anywhere as good (even though we went to the 'good one'')

Had to put in a whinge just to keep my feet on the ground, I feel far better so far on this trip, as last time after 4 days here I really wanted to get back to aussie, This time around, I'm loving it.

more later...
Old Jun 1st 2005, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all
Default Re: 16 years away from the UK, first impressions.

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Been here for about 4 days and really enjoying myself, still have 7 weeks to go. Milton Keynes was my first stop, last time i was there, it was a place to be avoided, sparten, new, and souless. Well my brothers gaffe in Simpson is anything but that, Green, green green, with birds singing, canal glistening, thatched cottages, and fantastic flowing roads, bounded by green tunnels of trees, Boy I didn't realise how much I'd missed the green of England, and I'm getting a very big dose of that now.

Everyone that said the supermarkets where better In england, compared to aussie were 100 pct correct, the prices are not that much more expensive here, and in fact are cheaper on some things like the all important and vital beer. Food choice has improved beyond belief, (thanks EEC). I havn't had a good look at the fruit and vegie section yet, will report when I do.

The M1 and M6 were far more flowing than last time I visited, 'so far' I would compare the traffic rate similar to that on the eastern freeway (melbourne) at about 3.30 pm on a friday, not to bad really.

Petrol is bloody dear here though, twice as expensive by the looks of things, take away food is really overpriced, compared to the cost in the shops, How does that work ? IE; we had a chinese meal for about 7 people, In Melbourne, that would have cost about 50 bucks tops, over here it came to close to 80 bucks, and wasn't anywhere as good (even though we went to the 'good one'')

Had to put in a whinge just to keep my feet on the ground, I feel far better so far on this trip, as last time after 4 days here I really wanted to get back to aussie, This time around, I'm loving it.

more later...
So, do you think you will want to stay?
Old Jun 1st 2005, 8:27 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

more later...

Glad to hear you're enjoying yourself
Old Jun 1st 2005, 8:29 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

more later...
Glad you're enjoying yourself. Stay away from the M1 between MK and Watford during the hours of 7-11am and 4-7pm and you should be ok.

Can't bear MK myself but sounds like your brother has found a decent spot. Have a great trip.
Old Jun 1st 2005, 10:18 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Milton Keynes

Last edited by Megalania; Jun 1st 2005 at 10:21 am.
Old Jun 1st 2005, 10:30 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Bye the bye - don't miss seeing the BIG Horny Toad:

<<Image removed due to copyright>>

Last edited by Sue; Jun 17th 2005 at 7:08 pm. Reason: Image removed due to copyright
Old Jun 1st 2005, 2:35 pm

NKSK is an unknown quantity at this point

Looking forward to hearing more of your views on the UK, Ozzie.

I leave for Australia within the next 8 weeks and I've already got Takeaways - great, Supermarkets - crap, written down. It all helps with the mental preparation!

Can you go and have a look at some kids clothes?
Old Jun 1st 2005, 2:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

TopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to behold

more later...

This is really interesting. My first two trips back (after 5yrs and 8 yrs away respectively)I couldn't wait to get back to OZ. Last time, after 16 years away, I loved it in UK and couldn't get enough of the green, the old stones, narrow lanes, hills, etc etc. I'm from South Buckinghamshire. Say hello for me, if you drive through, fond memories of Marlow/Cookham area. Oh bugga here comes that homesick stuff again...gulp
Old Jun 1st 2005, 10:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TopCat3
This is really interesting. My first two trips back (after 5yrs and 8 yrs away respectively)I couldn't wait to get back to OZ. Last time, after 16 years away, I loved it in UK and couldn't get enough of the green, the old stones, narrow lanes, hills, etc etc. I'm from South Buckinghamshire. Say hello for me, if you drive through, fond memories of Marlow/Cookham area. Oh bugga here comes that homesick stuff again...gulp
Had quiet an interesting day here today, up in Rhyl, a typically british seedyish, yet fun seaside town. We dont get penny arcades in aussie, well not like the traditional British ones. I'd all but forgotten what they were like, so going to one (or lots of them) was a fresh experience. Our two youngest kids 7 and 10 loved this new experience, and became addicted quickly. It was a very cool and showery day in rhyl today, so we enjoyed the indoor distractions, for the first time in years, I had to wear a raincoat. So there we are, along with 100's of others, bracing ourselves against a strong drizzly wind walking along the promenade, pretending to enjoy this british summer lol !
Even funnier was the sprinkling of people that refused to accept that the temp was sub 14 degrees centigrade, and raining, or it that wet stuff drizzle ? getting along in shorts and short sleeved shirts.

So we did Rhyl funfair, kids had a great time, they would love to go back, I doubt if we will though, once was enough. For those in Aussie, that have never been to rhyl, the vista is sand beaches, grey water, that froths on contact with the beach, about 50 windmills out to sea, with a gas platform, complete with burnoff, bit like coote island, beyond that, all this visited by 100's of people walking along the promenade, wearing mostly happy expressions. Another thing I Hadn't done in years, in fact last time I acheived this feat, would have been in London years ago, stepped unknowingly in a big pile of vomit. Hmmm... despite all that I really did enjoy this day. I'm beginning to realise that I wouldn't relish having to like it though

(hope that helps topcat)

Kids clothes eh NJKJ, I'd ask my missus that one ....More later.
Old Jun 1st 2005, 11:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK

Looking forward to hearing more of your views on the UK, Ozzie.
Same here keep us updated love reading it good and bad.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 10:38 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Had quiet an interesting day here today, up in Rhyl, a typically british seedyish, yet fun seaside town. We dont get penny arcades in aussie, well not like the traditional British ones. I'd all but forgotten what they were like, so going to one (or lots of them) was a fresh experience. Our two youngest kids 7 and 10 loved this new experience, and became addicted quickly. It was a very cool and showery day in rhyl today, so we enjoyed the indoor distractions, for the first time in years, I had to wear a raincoat. So there we are, along with 100's of others, bracing ourselves against a strong drizzly wind walking along the promenade, pretending to enjoy this british summer lol !
Even funnier was the sprinkling of people that refused to accept that the temp was sub 14 degrees centigrade, and raining, or it that wet stuff drizzle ? getting along in shorts and short sleeved shirts.

So we did Rhyl funfair, kids had a great time, they would love to go back, I doubt if we will though, once was enough. For those in Aussie, that have never been to rhyl, the vista is sand beaches, grey water, that froths on contact with the beach, about 50 windmills out to sea, with a gas platform, complete with burnoff, bit like coote island, beyond that, all this visited by 100's of people walking along the promenade, wearing mostly happy expressions. Another thing I Hadn't done in years, in fact last time I acheived this feat, would have been in London years ago, stepped unknowingly in a big pile of vomit. Hmmm... despite all that I really did enjoy this day. I'm beginning to realise that I wouldn't relish having to like it though

(hope that helps topcat)

great threa, and great posts ozzie - e
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 12:58 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Hello Ozzie,

Good to see your posts - it'll be interesting to see your thoughts on SE London.

If you are looking for things that you don't get in Oz, may I suggest trips to Chislehurt Caves (a genuine labyrinth) and Canterbury (a genuine medieval town) as they should be close by when you go to Crawley.

Regards
Alistair
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 1:07 pm
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

(hope that helps topcat)

Glad you had a nice time in Rhyl...plenty of entertainment for the kids....but what an absouloute dump of a place....
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 1:22 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Really glad you are having such a great time, nice to hear someone enjoying the UK cos a bloody great place it is.

Whilst you are in Crawley go to the Tapas bar (La Bodega) and have some Chorizo and some anchovies and explain on here in graphic detail how god damn nice they are, a photo would be great aswell so I can frame it and pop it on my mantel place to remind me that one day I will eat propper Chirozo again PLEASE

Keep having fun and keep us updated, really good reading.
Kala
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 4:02 pm
Merlot

Thought not heard from you in a while, back in the Motherland hey! Glad you are having fun!

The UK is great apart from the unpredictable weather, the crushing blow trying to spend Aussie dollars (don't get much for your money, UK is expensive) and the crowded roads BUT it does have a hell of a lot to offer. For the most I enjoy it back here (part from winter evenings)

Keep posting.

M

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.