British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   100 Point ID when renting (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/100-point-id-when-renting-592083/)

DSG Feb 17th 2009 3:00 pm

100 Point ID when renting

Hello all,

We're off to Brisbane next month and would appreciate some guidance with regards to renting a place. As I understand things we will have to undergo the 100 point ID check by the agent when we find a property we would like to secure. Unlike opening a bank account where you passport counts as 100 points within 6 weeks I believe renting is somewhat different.

Myself & my wife are coming out on my 457 visa. Only I have work to begin with and I've listed below the ID that we will have to help pass this points check.

2 x passports
2 x UK driving licences
1 x proof of income/contract of employment
2 x UK birth certificates (are these accepted?)
1 x UK marriage certifice (ditto?)
2 x Employment reference from the UK (1 for each of us)
1 x reference from estate agent (we own property & have never rented but will have a letter stating the upkeep of our house in the UK for which they manage for us...)
1 x reference from the company sponsoring me in Oz.

Will this be enough - It actually sounds a lot when you write it all down but it's whether they will accept the UK stuff..!

Thanks for your help.
Duncan

Paddy_M Feb 17th 2009 4:05 pm

Re: 100 Point ID when renting

Hi Duncan

I have managed to secure a rental (from the UK) and all my documents were accepted no problem.

Passport, police check, salary slip, employment contract.

kicking_k Feb 17th 2009 4:44 pm

Hi

I just wondered how easy it was to secure a rental from the UK?

Paddy_M Feb 17th 2009 5:50 pm

It was the first one I applied for so relatively easy.

I found the estate agents awkward to begin with. Once they know you are serious then you should not have a problem.

Other issue is getting to see the property before renting. If you know someone out there then this is easy enough.

slipshot Feb 17th 2009 7:25 pm

We just rented (in Vic) and there was no mention of the 100 point check. And as I do not have a job I wrote a note outlining our plans and they accpeted it. We paid 2 months in advance rather than one but that was fair, and showed copies of passports for ID, but the 100 point check was not mentioned. And even without a job we applied for two properties and got them both, so it seems to remain fairly easy...

skinnygeorge Feb 17th 2009 11:36 pm

We had less than that,And had no problems.One agent actually said"You guys (expats I presume)are nice to rent to `cos We don`t have problems,You appreciate what You`ve got and look after it".You may have to pay a few months in advance,We paid 3 + bond (A$5000).But do see the property first.We almost jumped at one,Thankfully with friends near by We had another look and found a nicer area.It looked like a nice area at first,But My friend pointed out certain signs!.+ If settling in or around Brisbane,Look for the high ground,We manage ok without aircon,But lower areas the air does not move.

Deutschmaster Feb 18th 2009 1:26 am

I don't remember a 100 point ID check in Victoria either.

Although they may do a 100 point 'ideal tenant' check - they give you points for being able to show previous rental receipts and so on.