Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is 10 grand enough?????

Is 10 grand enough?????

Old Jul 22nd 2006, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

buck-egit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is 10 grand enough?????

After my wife initial glee at moving to OZ Her relitives reactions to the idea have put her off and also the thought of selling our house that she loves. So now she has got cold feet. But I have suggested that we could keep the house and go out and rent and if it doesnt work out we would still have our house here to come home to.

Hence the heading Has anyone moved out to OZ with 10 grand or less!!!!!

The £10000 would also need to fly us out and sent some of our stuff out
had quotes for furniture which are 1700 and flights 1500 one way we will realy only have £5000 by the time we do the things we need to do so is 5 grand enough to get us going when we land???

I have already contacted diferent kitchen companys and will have no bother getting work asap my wife will need to look for work when she gets there. I have 2 kidz girl is 6 and boy is 3

I am so keen to go that I will try anything to get her on side..... if we had been going by selling the house I would have £150 k in my back pocket that would ease things a hell of a lot But i have aggreed with her that if she likes it and we stay for a year or so mybe 2 so as to get PR we sell the house and buy one outright

Cheers

Darren
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 3:03 pm
Lee N Liz

raiz has a spectacular aura aboutraiz has a spectacular aura aboutraiz has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Is 10 grand enough?????

will read your replys with interest ,
we are in the same boat, we will keep our house rented for the interim period for security, and also have 15k but we hope to do a reckie with that too.. :scared:

you taking the ducati?

cheers Lee
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by raiz
will read your replys with interest ,
we are in the same boat, we will keep our house rented for the interim period for security, and also have 15k but we hope to do a reckie with that too.. :scared:

you taking the ducati?

cheers Lee
you sir obviously can spot a good bike when you see one unfortunately it is part of the 10 grand i need lol

i am willing to sacrifice my Pride and Joy to move my wife doesn't have the same sentiments

Darren
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

leigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by buck-egit
After my wife initial glee at moving to OZ Her relitives reactions to the idea have put her off and also the thought of selling our house that she loves. So now she has got cold feet. But I have suggested that we could keep the house and go out and rent and if it doesnt work out we would still have our house here to come home to.

had quotes for furniture which are 1700 and flights 1500 one way we will realy only have £5000 by the time we do the things we need to do so is 5 grand enough to get us going when we land???

I have already contacted diferent kitchen companys and will have no bother getting work asap my wife will need to look for work when she gets there. I have 2 kidz girl is 6 and boy is 3

I am so keen to go that I will try anything to get her on side..... if we had been going by selling the house I would have £150 k in my back pocket that would ease things a hell of a lot But i have aggreed with her that if she likes it and we stay for a year or so mybe 2 so as to get PR we sell the house and buy one outright

Cheers

Darren
Hi Darren

We are all also in the same boat!
We don't know what to do for the best, our house has been on the market for a month & we have had no viewers! We're alittle bit reluctant to sell anyway because of being off the property ladder & would lose out big time if things don't work out in Oz & we have to come back to UK.
If we don't sell we would only have £15k to take & would have to send money back as rent would not cover mortgage + letting fees + insurances but we'd have our safety net in UK. My OH in particular is getting cold feet at the moment because he fears £15k is not going to be enough to set up, rental bond, new car etc..
Hope you get some replies from people who have successfully managed on very little money to set up & give us all some hope. Keep us posted on what you decid to do. Good Luck.
Leigh
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 4:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by leigh&ivan
Hi Darren

We don't know what to do for the best, our house has been on the market for a month & we have had no viewers! We're alittle bit reluctant to sell anyway because of being off the property ladder & would lose out big time if things don't work out in Oz & we have to come back to UK.
If we don't sell we would only have £15k to take & would have to send money back as rent would not cover mortgage + letting fees + insurances but we'd have our safety net in UK. My OH in particular is getting cold feet at the moment because he fears £15k is not going to be enough to set up, rental bond, new car etc..
Hope you get some replies from people who have successfully managed on very little money to set up & give us all some hope. Keep us posted on what you decid to do. Good Luck.
Leigh
Damn you have just reminded me of something I would need to buy a cheap van and car out of that money as well.... so so far I it is looking more and more unlikly unless we will the lotto tonight
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 4:24 pm
Nothing is Free!

Location: Seacliff Park, Adelaide. Call in for a drink and a bbq if your passin'
Rachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,
We came out with £8000 between us, we have rented a house and paid bond etc, furnished it (with cheap stuff till the container arrives) Le Cornu-the MFI of Adelaide. And still got £4500 left (UK pounds). Oh, and have been hiring a car for the past 3 weeks (Smile Rentacar-Barry). Pounds go alot further out here than in the UK.
Good Luck and just go for it!!
Regards,
Rachel & Paul

Cheers

Darren
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

bethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nice

on the one hand 10 grand when converted into aussie dollars is more than you think, on the other we too were in the same position and i was talked into the move and selling the house (which i loved!), however one month after moving into rented its the best move we made! money in the bank, ready to go as and when and if it all goes t*^s up in oz we will come back and take our chances with the property market! lifes a game, in my opinion, throw those dice and see were you land!
beth
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 5:31 pm
Lee N Liz

raiz has a spectacular aura aboutraiz has a spectacular aura aboutraiz has a spectacular aura about

you sir obviously can spot a good bike when you see one unfortunately it is part of the 10 grand i need lol

i am willing to sacrifice my Pride and Joy to move my wife doesn't have the same sentiments

Darren
Gutted to hear the bikes going!
Im still in mourning over the loss of my gixer doesnt help the sun shining constantly since it went!
Anyway like you said had to be done!

Have you allocated the money involved in getting your visa?
We used an agent (slightly more expensive) to the tune of about 3k.

good luck to you all
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 5:36 pm
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leigh&ivan
Hi Darren

Leigh
Noooooooo!!!!!

Don't do it, don't get into the sending money back to pay for Uk committments thing. It NEVER works. Trust me, I've done it.
I had a rather fat overdraft back in the Uk and attempted to put money into my UK account every month while I did a years contract in Melbourne. It was the stuff of nightmares and was PARTLY why I had to come back. Just couldn't afford to live out there while trying to clear some debt in the UK.
Honestly, you will be in the same boat as I was. It's a total struggle because of the exchange rate. $300 a month saved was actually only about £120 which was like a drop in the ocean. It's just wasted money which you really do need out there. ( rent is pritty steep in most places, and don't even get me started on food shopping )
If your going out to Oz take my advice for what it's worth and go out there with no financial committments left in the UK.
I'm lucky enough this time to be going out with enough to buy a place outright or if necessary with a tiny mortgage, but I definately wont be making the same mistake as last time.
I'm sorry to be the voice of doom, but it'd be in your own favour not to have UK debts when moving out there.

*pearly*
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 5:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by raiz
Gutted to hear the bikes going!
Im still in mourning over the loss of my gixer doesnt help the sun shining constantly since it went!
Anyway like you said had to be done!

Have you allocated the money involved in getting your visa?
We used an agent (slightly more expensive) to the tune of about 3k.

good luck to you all
No i am in the middle of geting the TRA stuff together doing it all myself to save some cash.

sorry to hear the bike had to go but awww well I was able to go for a ride today in the sweltering sun LOL Sorry

that smile will soon get wipped of my face when my bikes time comes!!!!

I am hazzarding a guess but the actuall cash that we wil have when standing at Perth aairport will be around £4000

Darren
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

paul_s is an unknown quantity at this point

No i am in the middle of geting the TRA stuff together doing it all myself to save some cash.

sorry to hear the bike had to go but awww well I was able to go for a ride today in the sweltering sun LOL Sorry

that smile will soon get wipped of my face when my bikes time comes!!!!

I am hazzarding a guess but the actuall cash that we wil have when standing at Perth aairport will be around £4000

Darren

Me and mrs paul_s will probably arrive with around £5000 - I'm hoping this should be enough.......well it's just going to have to be really....at the end of the day you you just have to adapt.....seeing as this is around $13k or $14k oz I'm guessing that represents two or three months salary....
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by paul_s
Me and mrs paul_s will probably arrive with around £5000 - I'm hoping this should be enough.......well it's just going to have to be really....at the end of the day you you just have to adapt.....seeing as this is around $13k or $14k oz I'm guessing that represents two or three months salary....
I am hoping that by the time I am going i will have any debt that I have payed off mainly credit cards.....

So the only thing will be the mortgage payments which the rent will clear and leave a wee bit extra to pay for the insurance

Darren
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 1:09 am
Hants to Mel Aug 05

Lindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to all

I would say personally that £10,000 isn't going to last you long when you get here. If it was just two adults coming then I would say go for it but when kids are involved then it's a bit more risky. You are going to be moving them 10,000 miles and leaving everything they know and then coming over here and not being totally financially secure. Roughly the £5000 that you will have left over is about $12000. A car will cost you at least $4000, then you are looking at paying a bond for the house $1000 plus a months rent in advance which is maybe another $1000. That leaves around $6000 which is only six months rent or 2/3 months rent plus living expenses. If the kids are school ages you'll have to pay for uniform and stationary. You'll need to get a job very quickly and hope that you don't have to dip into your money too much. I would say it can be done but it depends if you want to chance moving 10,000 miles and then being financially strapped when you get here. This is my opinion only and others may not agree with it.

Lorraine
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 2:03 am
BE Enthusiast

woogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nice

Hi
From my view, you're making life too hard right from the start. The more you can bring, the less stressful it will be. You're going to be doing it tough right from when you land & that's got to jepordise you're chances.
Is there anyway you could do a bit of re-financing on the house & get a bit of equity out of it?
I think you need to bring more, just to give yourself breathing space.
However, if thats the most you can get, I'd still go for it, as long as you're good at watching the pennies & don't mind a bit of a stuggle, I'm sure it will be worth it.
Good Luck
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 2:53 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

Its the obvious thing the more you bring the better it could be. I just think if you come with the right attitude you can make it work. And on a bad note the PR visa will soon be 3 years before citizenship. Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.