Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

10/12 hour stop overs!!!

10/12 hour stop overs!!!

Old Sep 5th 2009, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

JCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud of
Default 10/12 hour stop overs!!!

Ok guys yet another post today

I have read some good reports of singapore airport but due to me wanting to do both legs of our journey on the A380,it comes with a 10/12 hour stop over!

I can handle that so long as there plenty to do?
Am i right in thinking theres a outdoor pool not too far away?
I know theres the plaza lounge,but a few thoughts would be cool please

Or land in sing at 0730 and take off @ 0935,but differnt plane,so a possiblilty that we could miss it due to delays etc etc

So risk it for a biscuit or 10 hr knock about airport?

Thanks again

jase
Old Sep 5th 2009, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 10/12 hour stop overs!!!

Loads to do there. We only had 4 hours to kill and that wasn't long enough. Sure others will be along to sing its praises as it is simply the best airport I've ever been in. There is a 'skytrain' that plies between terminals, so if you get fed up with what one has to offer, you can always go for a ride. They also advertise a trip within Singapore that people with longer stopovers can go on, which sounds fun. There is a pool but it was shut when we went there (it shuts at 11pm) but I'm not sure how much it costs. You don't mention kids but there are things for them to do in any event even a craft workshop place in one of the terminals. There is a lounge with sleep chairs in it that you can use for free and there are foot massage chairs too which looked good. There is a cactus garden which I think had a bar in it too.

Of course, out of the 10 hours is baggage reclaim and passport control on arrival and (I assume?) departure, which will use up a fair bit of time. Add to that having something to eat and drink and the time soon disappears.

I personally prefer a break mid-journey to stretch my legs and catch my breath before the next bit, but OH is the opposite - question of taste I guess.
Have a good flight.
Old Sep 5th 2009, 2:52 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JCSUPERMOTO
Ok guys yet another post today

I have read some good reports of singapore airport but due to me wanting to do both legs of our journey on the A380,it comes with a 10/12 hour stop over!

I can handle that so long as there plenty to do?
Am i right in thinking theres a outdoor pool not too far away?
I know theres the plaza lounge,but a few thoughts would be cool please

Or land in sing at 0730 and take off @ 0935,but differnt plane,so a possiblilty that we could miss it due to delays etc etc

Thanks again

jase
Up to you really. Personally I wouldn't bother waiting 10-12 hours just to fly a 380 again. The seats are exactly the same as all their new fleet. Maybe a bit quieter but thats about it.

2 hours is heaps of time for a connecting flight - we did it in 40mins and had no probs.

But there is heaps to do in SIngapore. The airport has hotel for transit or you can leave the airport and go into town (the tube is easy and cheap - everything else in Sin isn't).

If it were me and in no rush, Id have a day in Sing, not because of the 380, but because for the sake of 12 hours you can break the journey nicely.
Old Sep 5th 2009, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

JCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud of

Cheers LL thats what i reckon ill do!!
Got 2 lads 11/8 too,plus 1 big kid
Old Sep 5th 2009, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yeah evantell your reet on the money!!

Wanna no whisk through,wanna explore while im there,this is my whole point of the "adventure in life"
Old Sep 5th 2009, 2:57 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorrielou
They also advertise a trip within Singapore that people with longer stopovers can go on, which sounds fun.

Of course, out of the 10 hours is baggage reclaim and passport control on arrival and (I assume?) departure, which will use up a fair bit of time.
Don't pay for the trip, plenty on here will tell you things to do for 12 hours.

No baggage reclaim for that shorter stopover. Get off the plane and go straight to immigration and the city is your oyster. We dropped flight bag we didn't need in left luggage but that only took 5 mins.
If you stopover - get out of the airport!.
Old Sep 5th 2009, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

Liam Jackson is on a distinguished road

hya Jase

Although i have not had to wait in singapore, i have been to it and i know lots who have had to wait in transit.

Singapore airport is very accommodating to transit passengers. There is outdooor pool, lots of shops, and some type of garden inside the airport. With most airlines (and i think S Airlines is one of then - check with your agent) transit passengers can go on a city bus tour. I have also been told there is the option of renting out a room for the day/a few hours. Last month our relatives found the sleep chairs mentioned below to chill out in whilst they were waiting. I must add that these chairs had alarm clocks that they could set in case they dropped off!!!!!. Try and google singapore airport the facilities may come up.

I personally would not risk a 2 hours gap between transferring planes as singapore airport is very large.

Hope that helps,

Kerry
Old Sep 5th 2009, 3:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Again,superb info kerry
thanks
jase

Now wheres my pillow
Old Sep 5th 2009, 3:17 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Go through immigration (its easy) and the Changi Crowne Plaza is landside a couple of mins walk and connected to the terminal. Nice bar, restaurants and if your time and buget allows a nicer room that the transit hotel. Very pleasant place and stayed there a few times but also whiled away a couple of hours too. Immigration, as you will see, is no queues and very very quick.

Certainly better than spending that amount of time airside anyway.
Old Sep 5th 2009, 4:26 pm
can't lose the tie

mecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to all

Originally Posted by EvannTel
But there is heaps to do in SIngapore. The airport has hotel for transit or you can leave the airport and go into town (the tube is easy and cheap - everything else in Sin isn't).
I would highly recommend getting a room in the transit hotel. Although I haven't done it at Changi but another international airport, it feels great to have a shower and then a short sleep before embarking on the rest of the trip.
Old Sep 5th 2009, 4:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Centurion
Go through immigration (its easy) and the Changi Crowne Plaza is landside a couple of mins walk and connected to the terminal. Nice bar, restaurants and if your time and buget allows a nicer room that the transit hotel. Very pleasant place and stayed there a few times but also whiled away a couple of hours too. Immigration, as you will see, is no queues and very very quick.

Certainly better than spending that amount of time airside anyway.
Changi plaza in singapore?
Old Sep 5th 2009, 4:36 pm
can't lose the tie

mecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to all

Changi plaza in singapore?
See the link http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/cp/1/en/hotel/sincp/ for details.
Old Sep 5th 2009, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

Zenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to all

Singapore airport is excellent and you will have no problem filling your time.

2 hours between flights is no problem and we have done it many times and never missed flights. You have enough time for a quick browse, bite to eat etc. We did it in May with only a 50min stop between flights and managed with a 5year old in tow.

Not sure if you have done the trip to Oz already before but if it is your first time you may need the longer break after the long leg of your trip. I have been told the transit hotel does bookings for 8 hour intervals and it is not that expensive. Pretty handy if you want a nap or to shower etc.
Old Sep 5th 2009, 9:25 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

As long as the flight is booked with Singapore Airways (SIA) as one journey (LON-SIN-AUS) and your baggage is checked through to Australia then two hours is easily enough. All that it means is that they will transition your bags from one SIA plane to the next while you get off the one and queue to get back on the other in the same terminal. Allow 20 mins in the queue at the gate as they check everything now (including making you throw away any water you bought) when you get back on.

If you choose to stay at Changi and wait for the next flight then I agree with the others that it's worth either a) getting out of Changi and into Singapore downtown for a wander or b) staying for a shower/sleep at a local hotel. It will really break the trip and reduce the jet lag a little. Last time we did it with the kids we stayed on Sentosa Island for 5 days! If the airport hotels are too expensive for you there are a couple in Changi Village on the coast at the back of the airport, 15 mins cab ride which are cheaper.

Al
Old Sep 5th 2009, 11:47 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

As others have said, if you take the day flight onwards to Melbourne it is operated by 777ER aircraft which has exactly the same interior (up the back) as the A380. There's also no risk in catching this flight - in the unlikely event that you miss the connection the airline will look after you - and probably dozens of others connecting to the same flight - if the numbers are big enough they'll probably even hold it back.

You're also thinking about taking the day flight from London to Singapore - bear in mind you'll arrive in Singapore at what is normally bedtime - you may not feel like exploring the airport or city for a full 10 hours - a backup hotel option is definitely a good idea!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.