Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

the 1 year rule bypass for importing cars if immigrating to oz

the 1 year rule bypass for importing cars if immigrating to oz

Old Mar 19th 2008, 10:32 am
Just Joined

Em and Rob is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: the 1 year rule bypass for importing cars if immigrating to oz

Oh, and another thing, www.redbook.com.au for values.

Also www.carsales.com.au to see how much some muppets think they can get for their cars...

'As Landed' values are a lot less than local values and they will use your receipt as a guide. The reason is that it is not, at that point, a legal car in Aus, therefore it is worth less. Once you have your plates on it and your compliance, the value is better than the as landed, but still a bit down on the redbook.

:-)
Old Mar 19th 2008, 10:24 pm
ab uno disce omnes

PJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nice

I don't think there is any way of cutting the 1 year rule out, I was told I could only import 1 vehicle, so how does some one bring a Lotus and MG? I wanted to bring my 2007 Nissan Pathfinder over and my Ducati but was told I couldn't bring more than 1 vehicle. When I considered all the GST, LCT, import duty and all the rest, it still looked like I would still bring it. A phone call to the main Nissan dealer in QLD put me off, they would not touch the car at all, the 3 year Nissan warranty would not be valid. They also said the cost of Australianising it would be very expensive, the guy had no sense of humour, when I said about putting a tinny of piss in the rad couldn't be that expensive, I don't think he even cracked a smile, well I thought it was funny.

Have sold the Pathfinder only lost 6k in 11 months!! The Ducs still for sale, as I will not have owed it for the required year it has to go!!

If you do find out about a loop hole let me know.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

Jackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really nice

[QUOTE=Em and Rob;6083587]

SIZE="1"]Other shippers on the other hand, just want to take money off you. The MG in the container, despite being steam cleaned, despite having invoices showing, despite being absolutely spotless, had to be cleaned. Hmm... Also I had to pay other mysterious charges ($125 'valuation' that I later found I didn't need) so watch the shippers, there are a lot of sharks out there. [/SIZE]

Hi, my OH's Harley docked at Freo last week and we're waiting for clearance at the moment. I've just been informed I need an RAC valuation and wondered whether you could enlighten me any further on this - I'm not looking forward to the bill!
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 2:33 am
Just Joined

Em and Rob is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, importing the two cars was easy enough under the rules as one was registered in my name, and the other was registered to the wife (no, the MG isn't mine!). So that was how we got around that one...

As for the valution (In Queensland at least) the shippers seem to use it as an excuse to take some more of the Pommie pounds off you. I fell for this with the MG but with the Lotus I had a really good broker who knew the system. I gave him the purchase receipt, he used on online currency / FOREX conversion to make it into an Aussie value then adjusted it down a bit. He submitted this info and it was accepted by customs.

That's how it was for me... The guy I used to clear the lotus through Port of Brisbane was Tim Charlton of Quarantine Customs Brokers. +61 (0)7 3260 4960 [email protected] maybe you could at least give him a call or see if he can recommend some one if you are not in Brisbane? If a phone call saves you $250 for a valuation, it has to be worth it!

:-)

Tell your OH, happy cruising when the cruiser gets here...

Rob.
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

jaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nice

thanks guys, very informative.. we will post up a wee meet/barby when we arrive and get settled and you guys are welcome ! just need to try and conserve as much cash as possible... wifes been a student for 3 years and its a costly exercise which eats yer bank book for breakfast as you may know !! not going to bring a car now as we really cant afford to get stung with fee's and have the car sitting in storage etc so we will buy an older car to tide us over till we can get what we are after....already got an offer of an old saab which belongs to a delica members father for a couple of hundred bucks which has rwc, just needs rego ! cant go wrong with that as its been well looked after and maintained...a big thanks to jon for that !