Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

1 week visit is it doable?

1 week visit is it doable?

Old Apr 17th 2007, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute
Default 1 week visit is it doable?

Although I validated my visa way back in 2004 I'm seriously considering a little recce trip.

Originally, there was going to be 5 of us going and therefore decided to just treat it as a holiday so didnt bother looking at suburbs, schools etc. Now circumstances have changed significantly and I'm now coming on my own with 2 kids

I'd rather be a bit organised when I arrive and have already sorted an account, moved money etc. as well as discussing mortgage options with the bank.

I have been in contact with a few schools and have a couple short listed depending on availability of places.

I've got a job lined up and have some of the paperwork etc. sorted.

I have a week off at the end of May and had planned on going down to Bath with the kids. I'm now seriously considering flying over to Brisbane for a week to check things out.

My question is: Is it possible to look at schools, suburbs etc in a week.
As I said earlier, I already have a bit of an idea where I want to go depending on the schools the kids go to.

If I could look round the areas and schools ie, St. Pauls and Bracken Ridge/Bald Hills and Cleveland state and Cleveland I feel I would have things more straight in my mind.

I could also go to work and finalise all the paperwork instead of trying to do everything by post and email. As well as go to the bank and get a bit of help filling in the forms there.

So, is it doable or will I be too knackered (and will the kids hate me for going to Oz instaed of Bath )

Tracey
Old Apr 17th 2007, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Bexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1 week visit is it doable?

Originally Posted by tracey.d
Although I validated my visa way back in 2004 I'm seriously considering a little recce trip.

Originally, there was going to be 5 of us going and therefore decided to just treat it as a holiday so didnt bother looking at suburbs, schools etc. Now circumstances have changed significantly and I'm now coming on my own with 2 kids

I'd rather be a bit organised when I arrive and have already sorted an account, moved money etc. as well as discussing mortgage options with the bank.

I have been in contact with a few schools and have a couple short listed depending on availability of places.

I've got a job lined up and have some of the paperwork etc. sorted.

I have a week off at the end of May and had planned on going down to Bath with the kids. I'm now seriously considering flying over to Brisbane for a week to check things out.

My question is: Is it possible to look at schools, suburbs etc in a week.
As I said earlier, I already have a bit of an idea where I want to go depending on the schools the kids go to.

If I could look round the areas and schools ie, St. Pauls and Bracken Ridge/Bald Hills and Cleveland state and Cleveland I feel I would have things more straight in my mind.

I could also go to work and finalise all the paperwork instead of trying to do everything by post and email. As well as go to the bank and get a bit of help filling in the forms there.

So, is it doable or will I be too knackered (and will the kids hate me for going to Oz instaed of Bath )

Tracey
We went for 10 days on our reccie. Do-able but verryyy knackering. We left the kids behind!
Old Apr 17th 2007, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bexie
We went for 10 days on our reccie. Do-able but verryyy knackering. We left the kids behind!
I wouldn't be taking the kids, I'm sure they'll be most impressed I dont think I could stretch to 10 days though. Still, if there's just me I should be able to get a good rest between the mad visits
Old Apr 17th 2007, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Bexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't be taking the kids, I'm sure they'll be most impressed I dont think I could stretch to 10 days though. Still, if there's just me I should be able to get a good rest between the mad visits
Oh yep do it!! A few days is better than none eh?
Old Apr 17th 2007, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Oh yep do it!! A few days is better than none eh?
I just noticed where you're from. My Dad used to live not far from you in Burgess Hill, my sister lived in Brighton but now in Eastbourne I think
Old Apr 17th 2007, 11:50 am
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

Go for it, you will have an uninterupted seven days to right lists-see the areas-see the schools- locate your preferences all without the kids moaning.

then when you land you will be able to take charge and settle your family in, much better than finding yourself in unfamiliar territory with tired and moaning kids, especially as you will be all emotional from the flight.

might not get another chance so do it girl.

louise
Old Apr 17th 2007, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

If you plan out what you want to do each day it should be OK.

Good luck.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

My hubby has done a couple of 1 week trips and seems to have managed okay, we did 10 days last time and although I wouldn't do it that short again if I had a choice, if there is no other way I would do it and it probably wouldn't be that bad. We did Sydney and Brisbane in the 10 days we were there, so if you are going to one place only it should be a bit better!
Old Apr 17th 2007, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

jayne311 is a name known to alljayne311 is a name known to alljayne311 is a name known to alljayne311 is a name known to alljayne311 is a name known to alljayne311 is a name known to alljayne311 is a name known to alljayne311 is a name known to alljayne311 is a name known to alljayne311 is a name known to alljayne311 is a name known to all

so do the kids not have to go an a reccie? i was under the impression that all the family planning on emigrating had to go on the reccie.
jayne.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jayne311
so do the kids not have to go an a reccie? i was under the impression that all the family planning on emigrating had to go on the reccie.
jayne.

Only if you are also validating your visas as part of the reccie and won't re-enter before the entry deadline on your visas.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 5:52 pm
Just Joined

jay71 is a jewel in the roughjay71 is a jewel in the roughjay71 is a jewel in the roughjay71 is a jewel in the rough

Hi Tracey

Yeah its doable, oh goin out for a week on 19th May for a reccie, he will probably be totally knackered when he gets back but hey......a weeks better than nothing if its all you can fit in!
Hope it goes well if you decide to go

Jayne
Old Apr 17th 2007, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

jayne311 is a name known to alljayne311 is a name known to alljayne311 is a name known to alljayne311 is a name known to alljayne311 is a name known to alljayne311 is a name known to alljayne311 is a name known to alljayne311 is a name known to alljayne311 is a name known to alljayne311 is a name known to alljayne311 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by suzimc
Only if you are also validating your visas as part of the reccie and won't re-enter before the entry deadline on your visas.
god there is so much to understand on this whole business, the quicker i get to the expo in october the better and hopefully i can get a few of the q's i have answered.

jayne.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 7:45 pm
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Why wait til October? Just ask your questions on here...we will help you!

Jackie x
Old Apr 17th 2007, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mrs JFW
Why wait til October? Just ask your questions on here...we will help you!

Jackie x
i feel as though i know nothing and just when i think i am getting the hang of it something else crops up.

we are going to apply for a 136 visa?but not until we are ready to make the big move. it would work out far too expensive for us as a family of 5 to have a validation trip. we would much rather spend all those thousands of £'s on relocaing.

so is this how it works????

1. we apply to have our skills assesed,

2. then apply for the visa,

3. hopefully they are ganted then we have 12mths from date of issue to either validate or emigrate,

4. if we validate we then have another 4yrs in which to emigrate.

5. out of the 1st 5 years from date of visa granted we have to be in aus. for 3/4 yrs to become PR. or are we already PR on a 136?????

you see, i am so green on this subject and a desperatly trying to work it all out.

jayne.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

kimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud of

Yes it is - I run holiday homes and I have had several familys that have come for 7-10 days just to do a quick reccie

Go for it

K

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.