Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!

1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!

Old May 26th 2010, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

suesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1.93's A$ to the Pound!!!

Originally Posted by freebo
Bang on, thats why I'm exchanging a little at a time, that way you can never be totally right, but you'll never be totally wrong.

I bought the last of what I need to get us started, buy a new car etc last week at 1.76. If/when it improves I'll buy some more but no rush for now as I'll get my first AUD pay in a couple of weeks.

I do think there's risk in being fully invested in anything though (and I include cash in any currency and property in that), so my savings are balanced across several (hopefully) non-correlated investments including Gold bullion.
If you don't mind me asking who do you use to buy your gold bullion.
Old May 26th 2010, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suesk
If you don't mind me asking who do you use to buy your gold bullion.
There are many ways to do it, personally I use an online broker, Bullionvault, they hold the gold in an "allocated account" and thefore I own a certain number of ounces in one of the three vaults they they use (London, NY or Zurich). Its one of the cheapest ways to buy & store Gold and won the Queens Award for Industry, even if they go bust I still own the metal and its independantly audited every day.

Other options are an exchange traded fund, GLD but many are wary of the risk that they don't physically have the metal to back the investment. Others argue that the only way to own gold is physically in your posetion via coins & bars which can be bought from the various mints and dealers, but to me there seems to be quite a high premium and obviosly there is the risk of keeping it safe.

I started buying a small amount of gold 18 months ago at less than £500/oz, today its over #830/oz (wish I had bought more then).

Some people feel gold is risky and of course any investement carries risk, I actually think that owning paper currency is risky, particularly given the amount of the stuff various govts have been printing lately.

A good gold investemnt forum (with some of the tin-hat brigade thrown in) https://www.kitcomm.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7

Hope this helps & feel free to ask if you need any more info.

Finally, this is a chart of the price of gold in the last 10 years in USD, bear in mind over the same timeframe the stock market (e.g. the Dow) has essentially not made any gain at all.

All just my opinion though, DYODD.
Old May 26th 2010, 12:39 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

There are many ways to do it, personally I use an online broker, Bullionvault, they hold the gold in an "allocated account" and thefore I own a certain number of ounces in one of the three vaults they they use (London, NY or Zurich). Its one of the cheapest ways to buy & store Gold and won the Queens Award for Industry, even if they go bust I still own the metal and its independantly audited every day.

Other options are an exchange traded fund, GLD but many are wary of the risk that they don't physically have the metal to back the investment. Others argue that the only way to own gold is physically in your posetion via coins & bars which can be bought from the various mints and dealers, but to me there seems to be quite a high premium and obviosly there is the risk of keeping it safe.

I started buying a small amount of gold 18 months ago at less than £500/oz, today its over #830/oz (wish I had bought more then).

Some people feel gold is risky and of course any investement carries risk, I actually think that owning paper currency is risky, particularly given the amount of the stuff various govts have been printing lately.

A good gold investemnt forum (with some of the tin-hat brigade thrown in) https://www.kitcomm.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7

Hope this helps & feel free to ask if you need any more info.

Finally, this is a chart of the price of gold in the last 10 years in USD, bear in mind over the same timeframe the stock market (e.g. the Dow) has essentially not made any gain at all.

http://www.kitco.com/LFgif/au00-pres.gif

All just my opinion though, DYODD.
You didn't take advice from Gordon Brown then? <g>.
Old May 26th 2010, 12:40 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
You didn't take advice from Gordon Brown then? <g>.

Sell off low you mean?

S
Old May 26th 2010, 12:48 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Nice one. Don't let us forget about Gold's little brother, Silver which I've been into for a few years. Here's the Kitco forum about silver which I frequent:

https://www.kitcomm.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8

Perth Mint is a good place to buy Gold and Silver either over the counter or as part of their certificate program or allocated/unallocated storage.
Old May 26th 2010, 12:57 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Nice one. Don't let us forget about Gold's little brother, Silver which I've been into for a few years. Here's the Kitco forum about silver which I frequent:

Perth Mint is a good place to buy Gold and Silver either over the counter or as part of their certificate program or allocated/unallocated storage.

Do you pay GST on the silver that you purchase?

S
Old May 26th 2010, 12:57 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Sell off low you mean?

S
Yes - but first make sure you tell the world that you are about to dump hundreds of millions of ££ worth onto the market, just to make sure the price is rock bottom.

I see he is in the running for the World Bank or the IMF. Nice one!
Old May 26th 2010, 12:59 am
has lost The Game

Originally Posted by Wol
Yes - but first make sure you tell the world that you are about to dump hundreds of millions of ££ worth onto the market, just to make sure the price is rock bottom.

I see he is in the running for the World Bank or the IMF. Nice one!

The only running he should be doing is from a pack of rabid dogs...

S
Old May 26th 2010, 1:03 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Do you pay GST on the silver that you purchase?

S
No, not bullion bars or coins from the Mint. If you buy it further down the chain you have to (I think).

Last edited by renth; May 26th 2010 at 1:10 am.
Old May 26th 2010, 1:04 am
has lost The Game

No, unlike the UK.

That is what always put me off of gold and silver in the UK - Paying VAT on the purchase, and then possible CGT on the disposal later on. Seemed like an awful lot of tax to me.

S
Old May 26th 2010, 1:06 am
(It's not my real name)

That is what always put me off of gold and silver in the UK - Paying VAT on the purchase, and then possible CGT on the disposal later on. Seemed like an awful lot of tax to me.
S
Still have to pay CGT on disposal, but there is a 50% discount if you hold the asset for over 12 months.
Old May 26th 2010, 1:36 am
has lost The Game

Still have to pay CGT on disposal, but there is a 50% discount if you hold the asset for over 12 months.

Yes, though with no VAT/GST to pay on the initial purchase, it suddenly becomes a much more attractive investment.

I may have to start investigating this myself, particularly as my super keeps losing money hand over fist. Maybe I should swap my asset mix to include some heavy metals...

S
Old May 26th 2010, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, good point, silver too!
Old May 26th 2010, 3:01 am
(It's not my real name)

I may have to start investigating this myself, particularly as my super keeps losing money hand over fist. Maybe I should swap my asset mix to include some heavy metals...
S
Good idea to have at least 20% of portfolio in shiny stuff. Possibly more in these troubled times.
Old May 26th 2010, 3:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Good idea to have at least 20% of portfolio in shiny stuff. Possibly more in these troubled times.
Of course many people don't seem to know how troubled these times are...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.