Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

£40000 is it enough

£40000 is it enough

Old Sep 29th 2004, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

DONBEN is on a distinguished road
Question £40000 is it enough

when we go to oz we will only have £40.000 in english money will this be enough for us to start out
Old Sep 29th 2004, 11:04 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of
Default Re: £40000 is it enough

Originally Posted by DONBEN
when we go to oz we will only have £40.000 in english money will this be enough for us to start out
I am goin with minus $65k AUD so I bloody hope so.

IN all seriousness, it depend on wht you are doing, where you are goin and if you can get a job etc etc. At the end of the day you started off with nothing here and have built up £40k so what is to say you can't do the same in Australia.

My line of the week but only you can make that judgement, If it was me I'd be a happy little bunny saying go for it but I'm not you.

Good luck to you
Kala
Old Sep 29th 2004, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

DONBEN is on a distinguished road

thanks karla im a nurse who shouldnt have a problem getting a job but you never know going to perth good luck to you as well
Originally Posted by kala
I am goin with minus $65k AUD so I bloody hope so.

IN all seriousness, it depend on wht you are doing, where you are goin and if you can get a job etc etc. At the end of the day you started off with nothing here and have built up £40k so what is to say you can't do the same in Australia.

My line of the week but only you can make that judgement, If it was me I'd be a happy little bunny saying go for it but I'm not you.

Good luck to you
Kala
Old Sep 29th 2004, 11:14 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

thanks karla im a nurse who shouldnt have a problem getting a job but you never know going to perth good luck to you as well
From talking to other nurses on here jobs are not too much of a problem, I personally think you will be fine.

Good luck to ya mate

Kala
Old Sep 29th 2004, 11:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Stuck it in the Oz forum, more luck with info there
Old Sep 29th 2004, 11:24 pm
Go Banana's !!

Difficult one as it depends on what you want to do. As others have said you should be able to get a job with no problems therefore that amount of money would be a nice cushion.

To give you an idea we reckon we can live off $40k for a year very comfortably but our lodge is very small at its a relative's house.

Good luck

Warren (the UK half of the Banana's !!)
Perth in 4 weeks !!! Yippeeeee !

Old Sep 29th 2004, 11:25 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Stuck it in the Oz forum, more luck with info there
I'll be going to Aus with probably no more than a couple of grand, tops....
No mortgage, no kids, no commitments, but definitely a job lined up before I leave blighty.
Old Sep 29th 2004, 11:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Edens Landing, half way between Brisbane and Gold coast
Paul&Ann-Marie will become famous soon enough

As already mentioned above, it very much depends on your intentions upon arrival.

We arrived with £28,000 nearly 2 months ago, have bought a car,all our furniture and appliances here, have paid our first 3 months rent in advance and still have money in the bank should things turn pear-shaped.

It really does depend on the lifestyle you are accustomed to, cars, house etc. and what you want when you arrive that dictates how far your finances will stretch.

Paul
Old Sep 29th 2004, 11:44 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

Originally Posted by Paul&Ann-Marie
As already mentioned above, it very much depends on your intentions upon arrival.

We arrived with £28,000 nearly 2 months ago, have bought a car,all our furniture and appliances here, have paid our first 3 months rent in advance and still have money in the bank should things turn pear-shaped.

It really does depend on the lifestyle you are accustomed to, cars, house etc. and what you want when you arrive that dictates how far your finances will stretch.

Paul
that time has gone really quick PAul and Ann-Marie,

How are you goin now, still good now, Your working aren't you Paul? Is it getting easier or harder? Especially with the work and Ann-Marie being at home?

Kala
Old Sep 30th 2004, 12:01 am
Monkey

In article <[email protected]> ,
member29819@british_expats.com (DONBEN) wrote:

>
    > when we go to oz we will only have £40.000 in english money will this be
    > enough for us to start out
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com
    >

!!!

To do what? Buy a house outright, probably not. Enjoy yourself while
getting a job and mortgage, hell yeah. Having a partner and/or kids will
limit the length of job-free enjoyment though...

--
Paul
http://www.labrose.com

Old Sep 30th 2004, 12:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Edens Landing, half way between Brisbane and Gold coast
Paul&Ann-Marie will become famous soon enough

Hi kala, i did 3 days in that job, they had me pegged as a full blown sparky ( which i'm not ) and had me down for call-outs and training apprentices, also, from what i have been told, the pressure is on the employee, if something goes wrong then it all comes back to you.........financially.

I have another job now, start on monday, data cabling, which i am much happier with.

One thing i would like to say regarding jobs, i have read many posts about how hard it is to get work here.Personally, i haven't had that problem. My first job was sorted over the phone, sent them my resume and they phoned up and told me to take my tools in the following morning,started there and then.

I guess it depends on what skills you posess, and how you sell yourself, whether it be written or verbal.
It also helps when you put some really crazy shit down as your hobbies, like paragliding or bungee jumping, maybe collecting pebbles.

A final mention to any sparks that go for an interview, if you don't like the place and decide you don't want the job during your interview just tell them the following :

" I have always been fascinated by electricity, when i was 5 i stuck a knife into a socket and electrocuted myself, since then i have been hooked on the stuff, i still do it sometimes " and then smile and look into a corner of the room.
Trust me, you wont get the job.

Paul
Old Sep 30th 2004, 12:27 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

Originally Posted by Paul&Ann-Marie
Hi kala, i did 3 days in that job, they had me pegged as a full blown sparky ( which i'm not ) and had me down for call-outs and training apprentices, also, from what i have been told, the pressure is on the employee, if something goes wrong then it all comes back to you.........financially.

I have another job now, start on monday, data cabling, which i am much happier with.

One thing i would like to say regarding jobs, i have read many posts about how hard it is to get work here.Personally, i haven't had that problem. My first job was sorted over the phone, sent them my resume and they phoned up and told me to take my tools in the following morning,started there and then.

I guess it depends on what skills you posess, and how you sell yourself, whether it be written or verbal.
It also helps when you put some really crazy shit down as your hobbies, like paragliding or bungee jumping, maybe collecting pebbles.

A final mention to any sparks that go for an interview, if you don't like the place and decide you don't want the job during your interview just tell them the following :

" I have always been fascinated by electricity, when i was 5 i stuck a knife into a socket and electrocuted myself, since then i have been hooked on the stuff, i still do it sometimes " and then smile and look into a corner of the room.
Trust me, you wont get the job.

Paul
Bloody hell you aren't hangin around 2 jobs in as many months, Justgoes to show!!!!

Good luck with everything guys I really do wish you al the best

Kala
Old Sep 30th 2004, 7:24 am
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough

Would depend on how soon you got a job etc, whether you bought a car or banger!

You kind of have to think well how long would £40K last here, with no income.

Quite awhile if you are careful, gone in three months if you get carried away

PJ

Last edited by Jacko1; Sep 30th 2004 at 7:50 am.
Old Sep 30th 2004, 7:47 am
gsb
Cake or Death

gsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

For what it is worth, I have read so many posts about how much to take. From what I gather the range of what people take is impressive, from $AU6000 to $AU300000. To me it seems to hinge on what your expectations are when you get out there; house, care, location etc.

I would be very surprised if 40k was not enough of course.

Best of luck, Gary

Old Sep 30th 2004, 9:11 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

I have seen a previous thread saying that this one particular family were spending approx $4000 per month, hope this helps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.