£10 aussies

Old Apr 30th 2004, 4:41 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

My parents put their names down for £10 tickets, but I arrived instead.

BUT we got our visas this morning (55 years later)!!!!!!!!!

Lesley
Old Apr 30th 2004, 5:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: £10 aussies

What a good thread!

Really makes you think - what sort of life did all those £10 a ticket people end up having - good ones I suspect!

Old Apr 30th 2004, 5:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Bix da Boss
What a good thread!

Really makes you think - what sort of life did all those £10 a ticket people end up having - good ones I suspect!

Not in the beginning - hubbie's aunt and uncle emigrated on a £10 ticket - they're still there and wouldn't move back for anything, but boy was it HARD.

Hubbie's aunt had it hardest - looking after 3 young children, living in communal expats quarters, she says you had to watch yourself in the showers 'cos all the kids used to climb up and over the walls to get a peep while you were in there, and the number of suicides were unbelievable...
Old Apr 30th 2004, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

snowhite is an unknown quantity at this point

My parents were also £10 poms !! ,adopted me out in Aus and now I have dual nationality although have always thought of myself as a Aussie and cant wait to go home after 15 yrs in the Uk.
Old Apr 30th 2004, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Rosy
Not in the beginning - hubbie's aunt and uncle emigrated on a £10 ticket - they're still there and wouldn't move back for anything, but boy was it HARD.

Hubbie's aunt had it hardest - looking after 3 young children, living in communal expats quarters, she says you had to watch yourself in the showers 'cos all the kids used to climb up and over the walls to get a peep while you were in there, and the number of suicides were unbelievable...
Yes, I did realise that some / a lot of them would have found it hard, especially if they had children to support. I was just trying to look on the 'bright side' of the coin

But in reality - what did they expect? What a huge step to take!
Of course it would be hard - that goes without saying!

What we are in the process of doing now, going to the other side of the world to live - is a massive thing to do even if you are in a better position then they were.

What matters is - how they are now and what opportunities it opened up for some of them as opposed to staying in the uk and being even worse off at that time!

There is good and bad to every situation.

Such is life
Old Apr 30th 2004, 8:02 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

my mum and dad were all set to go.......until my dad had cold feet and changed his mind......my mums hated him for it ever since!!!

sue
Old Apr 30th 2004, 10:14 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

I have spoken to many 10pound poms and even one yesterday who has been here 30 years said she would go back tomorrow but her kids are here now so won't leave them plus she said she left it too late.

Her co-worker said that wild horses would not drag her back to the UK. So there you have it.I know alot of poms said that they HAD to stay as they could not afford to go back.

Not easy even back then!

Pants...
Old May 1st 2004, 3:54 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Wow.......this really makes ya think that life really does take some funny directions

Hope it all worked out well with you and your bro?

Phoenixuk2oz
Better than I could have ever wished for. We have some fantastic times together. I never thought that we would be together again after all those years.

Whisky
Old May 1st 2004, 5:00 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally posted by sky
How many of us could have been aussies if only our parents had, had the courage to go on the £10 deal.
Ill put me hand up ... my mum and dad filled in the application form but got cold feet.
Would have saved me a lot of time and effort i suppose although I am now in nz

My hand is up, my parents were 10 pound Aussies.
Old May 1st 2004, 9:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by janeyray
My hand is up, my parents were 10 pound Aussies.
My parents were going, but Aunt went first they and nearly boiled alive in tin roofed shacks in summer. Work was poorly paid and they struggled beyond belief with sickness in the concentration camps!! as my aunt called them. Needless to say my parents though better of it once the letters home started arriving. However my aunt and uncle are still here, they have grandkids now so cannot cut the old heartstrings, which is a reason a lot of the oldies do stay here.