Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

is `Balga` WA really that bad ???

is `Balga` WA really that bad ???

Old Sep 13th 2006, 8:51 am
careful what you wish 4

dougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud of
Angry Re: is `Balga` WA really that bad ???

Originally Posted by renth
Clarkson, Quinns Rocks, Merriwa.
interesting that you mention Clarkson, new Somerly estate looks very good on the website, but perhaps these shiney new estates have `social housing` on them that non-locals (ie, Brits) wouldn`t know about until they`ve exchanged contracts -

this happened on a new estate in the UK near me -
developers being made to build social housing, as part of the deal to get the land in the first place, in the same street as the £500,000 `executive houses - Of course, local government in its wisdom then moved sink estate tenents to these new homes, which where duely thrashed - and the buyers of the posh houses saw the value of their homes diminish overnight ..

estate agents the same all over the world
Old Sep 13th 2006, 8:52 am
careful what you wish 4

dougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud of
Default Re: is `Balga` WA really that bad ???

Originally Posted by dougggy
interesting that you mention Clarkson, new Somerly estate looks very good on the website, but perhaps these shiney new estates have `social housing` on them that non-locals (ie, Brits) wouldn`t know about until they`ve exchanged contracts -

this happened on a new estate in the UK near me -
developers being made to build social housing, as part of the deal to get the land in the first place, in the same street as the £500,000 `executive houses - Of course, local government in its wisdom then moved sink estate tenents to these new homes, which where duely thrashed - and the buyers of the posh houses saw the value of their homes diminish overnight ..

estate agents the same all over the world
trashed even...
Old Sep 13th 2006, 9:19 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

I can't really understand why you are asking this question, surely your mother who has been a resident of Balga for the last 30 years is in a far better position to advise you than a load of people who have probably not set foot in the place.

The question i'd be asking is can you live with your mother for 12 months, irrespective of which suburb it's in, i personally would struggle to survive 12 minutes let alone 12 months. I do think it's best to have your own space while you are trying to settle into a new life and living with someone that you havent shared a house with for many years may put more pressure on you than you need. It may be hard to explain this to your Mum who is just trying to help.

As for Clarkson, Merriwa and Quinns,loads of nice areas and nice people in them.

Remember you can get neighbours who can make your life miserable in any sort of suburb, it's just the luck of the draw sometimes.

Lynn
Old Sep 13th 2006, 9:26 am
careful what you wish 4

Originally Posted by movetoperth
I can't really understand why you are asking this question, surely your mother who has been a resident of Balga for the last 30 years is in a far better position to advise you than a load of people who have probably not set foot in the place.

The question i'd be asking is can you live with your mother for 12 months, irrespective of which suburb it's in, i personally would struggle to survive 12 minutes let alone 12 months. I do think it's best to have your own space while you are trying to settle into a new life and living with someone that you havent shared a house with for many years may put more pressure on you than you need. It may be hard to explain this to your Mum who is just trying to help.

As for Clarkson, Merriwa and Quinns,loads of nice areas and nice people in them.

Remember you can get neighbours who can make your life miserable in any sort of suburb, it's just the luck of the draw sometimes.

Lynn

I agree, but just how to say thanks but no thanks, this is going to be a problem...
Old Sep 13th 2006, 9:35 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, but just how to say thanks but no thanks, this is going to be a problem...

Stay with her for 2 weeks and be hell to live with, she should be cool with the idea of you moving on after that

Lynn
Old Sep 13th 2006, 4:01 pm
Banned

Rug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud of

possibly moving family to perth next year and my mum - aus citizen of 30 years - insists that we don`t rent but save the money (don`t actually need to) and stay with her in Balga (wrong side of road to be in Mirraboka) for a year when we come out , quite like the look of the private anglican school very near her for the kids ....

Any way , although I have visited Balga before, I haven`t been there for 12 years, it seemed an ok sort of place 12 years ago but heres the but ........

Mum has been burgled three times in 30 years and doesn`t make to big a deal of this and also had a bikie gang rent the house next to her, but says the guys where always very nice and polite her...but `Balga` would appear to be a place that couldn`t be described as aspirational, indeed the woman in the Aus embassy in london face, physically changed colour when I mentioned thats where we might be staying... never really worked out whether this was look of shock or pity!

So do we stay for a week when we get off the plane, and then move very swiftly on, or stay for a year (taking our lives in our hands apparently) ... all thoughts gratfully appreciated ..
Yes.

Balga, Girraween, Koondoola, Mirabooka (aka Beirut with the amount of Islamic interests there). Keep well away!
Old Sep 13th 2006, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

My electrician lives in Balga, he recently wanted to buy an investment property there as he knew the area well after living there all his life. He couldn't afford Balga so he bought in Girraween. He says he has great tennants and is happy with his decision.

There is a lot of redevelopment planned for Balga I believe.