Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do Immigrants Integrate Well In Oz?

Do Immigrants Integrate Well In Oz?

Old Sep 12th 2006, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

Blueracer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do Immigrants Integrate Well In Oz?

I am really looking forward to integrate into Ozzie society as I feel that if you are going to be lucky enough to be accepted, then ALL should attempt to make this integration. Otherwise if you are going to remain in the same mind set of where you have come from and insist on maintaining certain rules then why come at all!. These kind of people tend to prefer to live in gettos.

Does religion play an important factor on this?

Whats the split % wise between the religious groups?

I would very much like to know how the different communities live in Perth, is it integration or Gettoisation? (if there is such a word)

BR
Old Sep 12th 2006, 9:16 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Do Immigrants Integrate Well In Oz?

Originally Posted by Blueracer
I am really looking forward to integrate into Ozzie society as I feel that if you are going to be lucky enough to be accepted, then ALL should attempt to make this integration. Otherwise if you are going to remain in the same mind set of where you have come from and insist on maintaining certain rules then why come at all!. These kind of people tend to prefer to live in gettos.

I'd say that depends on how religious you are, what your religion is, and the extent to which it guides (and/or governs) your everyday life.

I would very much like to know how the different communities live in Perth, is it integration or Gettoisation? (if there is such a word)

BR
Integration.

Click here for a breakdown of the 2001 Census figures for religious bodies in Western Australia.

An overview:
  • Christian: 63.3%

• No religion: 19.5%

• Not stated: 10.7%

• Buddhist: 1.6%

• Muslim: 1.1%

• Hindu: 0.3%

• Judaism: 0.3%

• Aboriginal: 0.1%

• Baha'i: 0.1%

That should give you a rough idea of what to expect.
Old Sep 12th 2006, 9:18 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do Immigrants Integrate Well In Oz?

BR
Most do make an effort, although there is a minority that will not. Most are content to give something back to the country while some just come over, get citizenship then go straight back to their native land and give nothing back. That can be seen in all ethnic groups, where especially the older generation find it hard to change there lifestyle overnight.
As for percentages, maybe Vash or someone can find something on Google to gives an amount.
As to living in "ghettos", as you put it, in general, you do find that people of different ethnic groups tend to live in relaively close proximity toeach other for mutual support, though not in the sense of having the area in a run down state.
Old Sep 12th 2006, 9:19 pm

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I'd say that depends on how religious you are, what your religion is, and the extent to which it guides (and/or governs) your everyday life.

Integration.

Click here for a breakdown of the 2001 Census figures for religious bodies in Western Australia.

An overview:
  • Christian: 63.3%

• No religion: 19.5%

• Not stated: 10.7%

• Buddhist: 1.6%

• Muslim: 1.1%

• Hindu: 0.3%

• Judaism: 0.3%

• Aboriginal: 0.1%

• Baha'i: 0.1%

That should give you a rough idea of what to expect.
What about the Jedi Knights?
When was Aboriginal a religion?
Old Sep 12th 2006, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

BR
Some find it very easy to integrate in Australian society others don't. My Grandma's husband never settled in Australia, lived there over 40 years and yearned for UK, but my Grandma would never allow them to move back as she loves Australia.
As with any country you'll find lots who think anyone who isn't white or born in Australia is some kind of alien life form and deserves to be the butt of many jokes and racially abused or labelled.
Many can find no matter how much they want to integrate some Australians will not accept them.
Just depends on where you live who your friends are, what circles you move in. As with any place in the world...
Old Sep 12th 2006, 9:53 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Do Immigrants Integrate Well In Oz?

Originally Posted by The Bloke
What about the Jedi Knights?

When was Aboriginal a religion?
The category of "Aboriginal" represents the percentage of WA's population who subscribe to the traditional Aboriginal beliefs.

Dreamtime, Wagyl, etc.
Old Sep 12th 2006, 10:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

My experience is that migrants integrate as much as they want to.

However, there is no doubt that whole sections do congregate together. You only have to stand on platform 6 at Flinders (Pakenham line) to see that.

I can tell exactly where people are going to get off their train. The demographics changes after Oakleigh, and then again at Narre Warren.

Some migrants may live together, but they often take on Australian values and traditions - indeed embrace them.
Old Sep 13th 2006, 2:50 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright

Some migrants may live together, but they often take on Australian values and traditions - indeed embrace them.
Some migrants even embrace the Australians themselves
Old Sep 13th 2006, 3:02 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Some migrants even embrace the Australians themselves
it's not compulsory though
Old Sep 13th 2006, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
:

The category of "Aboriginal" represents the percentage of WA's population who subscribe to the traditional Aboriginal beliefs.

Dreamtime, Wagyl, etc.
So by that standard, a one calling themselves a Native American(American Indian) or a Maori could also be called a religion in other countries?
Old Sep 13th 2006, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Some find it very easy to integrate in Australian society others don't. My Grandma's husband never settled in Australia, lived there over 40 years and yearned for UK, but my Grandma would never allow them to move back as she loves Australia.
As with any country you'll find lots who think anyone who isn't white or born in Australia is some kind of alien life form and deserves to be the butt of many jokes and racially abused or labelled.
Many can find no matter how much they want to integrate some Australians will not accept them.
Just depends on where you live who your friends are, what circles you move in. As with any place in the world...
The same could be said for Brits or others that have Australians or others as the butt of their jokes, if they live in the UK?
Old Sep 13th 2006, 3:46 am
Fighting my corner

Arrow Re: Do Immigrants Integrate Well In Oz?

So by that standard, a one calling themselves a Native American(American Indian) or a Maori could also be called a religion in other countries?
No.

The census actually uses the term "Australian Aboriginal Traditional Religions."

I simply truncated this to "Aboriginal", as in "Aboriginal beliefs."
Old Sep 13th 2006, 3:51 am
Fighting my corner

Thumbs up Re: Do Immigrants Integrate Well In Oz?

The same could be said for Brits or others that have Australians or others as the butt of their jokes, if they live in the UK?
Indeed.

If I had a £ for every time someone has mentioned convicts (or called me a convict) on learning that I'm an Aussie, I'd have enough money to move back home by now.

Which is ironic, as I have no convict connections whatsoever; my father was English and emigrated to Australia in the 60s, while my maternal grandfather was also English and emigrated to Australia in the 40s.

I stayed at a B&B in Devon last month, and the owner decided it would be absolutely hilarious to call me a "colonial."

Oh, how we laughed.
Old Sep 13th 2006, 6:03 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

People integrate if they want to, infact it's a pretty easy thing to do. But some people don't want to, I don't particularly understand why people would move countries if they don't want to integrate into society but many don't.

as for religion... nobody has ever asked me which religion i am, or if i'm a believer or non believer since i have been here, it just doesn't seem to be an issue with people, or certainly not with the people i mix with.

Lynn
Old Sep 13th 2006, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for repeating what I already stated!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.