Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

$80000 a year needed

$80000 a year needed

Old Jun 11th 2004, 8:28 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default $80000 a year needed

Hi All
A while ago, on this forum, Among all the various debates there used to also be some very useful pieces of information helpful to would-be migrants.

If these were 'positive' they would recieve a lot of attention.
If they were seen as 'negative' they would be rubbished or attacked.

Lately posts seem to be mainly about visas and how to get them or about the process. There have also been a lot of amusing, silly,sad, nasty and frivolous threads.

There is an important ongoing thread by HEVS and HUP which deserves attention.
They are describing a difficult time in their new life.Not negatively but very honestly.
One phrase of HUP's has struck me.

Apologies to HUP for using a quote from that thread:

"I would suggest that for a family of four you will need an income of around $80000".

Think about it.
How many people will have that income without both partners working?
What will that do to dreams of :' more time with family','escape from the Rat Race', 'Quality of life' etc. etc?

This is the kind of issue we should be discussing.

I am starting this thread so this simple statement does not get lost.

Thanks HUP

Best wishes

G
Old Jun 11th 2004, 9:02 am
ABCDiamond

I suppose a gross Family income of about $80,000 would be about right, for a family of 4 with mortgage, to have a reasonable living.

Obviously those without a mortgage would be able to get by just as comfortably on a smaller income.

There was a poll done some time ago about what the average income was for people already here.

Maybe another poll asking what the Gross FAMILY income is, would help now.

But then other benefits eg; Family Tax Benefit should be included in that, to get the real income idea.

Plus of course we'de need to know how financially comfortable the people consider themselves.

A difficult poll to work out. Where's the too hard basket ?

Old Jun 11th 2004, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Good idea Grayling what might also help those still in the Uk is an indication of bills such as shopping and utilities. One was done on here by a think Pommiesheila who itemised her weekly shop etc, but that was a while back now and will be out of date.

Things such as monthly grocery and fuel bills will be most helpful as well as school fees etc.

footie chick
Old Jun 11th 2004, 9:16 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Good post.

Footie Chick, Mairi did a groceries post for Perth a little while ago:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...es+mairi+perth

ABCD - yeah, it's hard. Too many issues, circumstances, etc
Old Jun 11th 2004, 9:21 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Simone
Good post.

Footie Chick, Mairi did a groceries post for Perth a little while ago:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...es+mairi+perth

ABCD - yeah, it's hard. Too many issues, circumstances, etc
It is hard.Circumstances are different.

Maybe that's why we need the discussion

Best wishes

G
Old Jun 11th 2004, 9:22 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Grayling
It is hard.Circumstances are different.

Maybe that's why we need the discussion

Best wishes

G
Definetly!

Just not the poll. Well, maybe that to, combined with a discussion of course!
Old Jun 11th 2004, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Simone completely forgot about that one.

footie chick
Old Jun 11th 2004, 9:34 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by footie chick
Things such as monthly grocery and fuel bills will be most helpful as well as school fees etc.

footie chick
School fees I can help with an indication:
With State schools you often need to end up paying $300-$500 per year, for stationery and other things. At least in QLD.

Private schools start at about $2,000 per year, but then you may need the stationery costs on top of that.

Old Jun 11th 2004, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

thebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by footie chick
Thanks Simone completely forgot about that one.

footie chick

my sisters bf is an aussie plasterer and is only 20
he earns $1000 a week
so hubby matt is a chippie and has been for the last 18 yrs so
his wage shouldnt be less than this should it ???

what with the£ or $ we are going with we need about $160000
mortgage,
works out to be $1000 a month
now this seems all well and good
but the bill situation we can only guess
so any help from the expats in oz would
be fantastic

bearing in mind we will have a bit in the bank
some to spend on the house
2 cars
and this includes all fees ie stamp etc

so wages wont have to stretch to those things aswell
although rego and insurance

come on people HELP us
i have gone back into panic mode
listen to me ive lost it :scared:
Old Jun 11th 2004, 9:51 am
Bitter and twisted

This sort of discussion is not intended to panic anyone.

I have, however, always found it strange that people go through all the hassle of getting a visa and then uproot their families to move halfway round the world yet don't often have a clue what they will be earning (if at all) or what living in Australia is going to cost.:scared:

All that is needed is a little research but nobody ever really wants these discussions.

Many just shrug their shoulders and say 'It'll be right'

G
Old Jun 11th 2004, 9:53 am
ABCDiamond

Current bills on my desk waiting to be paid now are:

Car Registration with CTP, $582 - 12 months

Electric $291.00 - 3 months

Phone $77 - 1 month ( But last month was $147 )
Broadband $ 60 - 1 month

Rates (includes water) just paid $438 - 3 months

Old Jun 11th 2004, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all
Default Re: $80000 a year needed

Hi All
A while ago, on this forum, Among all the various debates there used to also be some very useful pieces of information helpful to would-be migrants.

If these were 'positive' they would recieve a lot of attention.
If they were seen as 'negative' they would be rubbished or attacked.

Lately posts seem to be mainly about visas and how to get them or about the process. There have also been a lot of amusing, silly,sad, nasty and frivolous threads.

There is an important ongoing thread by HEVS and HUP which deserves attention.
They are describing a difficult time in their new life.Not negatively but very honestly.
One phrase of HUP's has struck me.

Apologies to HUP for using a quote from that thread:

"I would suggest that for a family of four you will need an income of around $80000".

Think about it.
How many people will have that income without both partners working?
What will that do to dreams of :' more time with family','escape from the Rat Race', 'Quality of life' etc. etc?

This is the kind of issue we should be discussing.

I am starting this thread so this simple statement does not get lost.

Thanks HUP

Best wishes

G
Grayling
I agree with what you are saying here. We are due to go late September and I am really having some serious doubts now it is time to go. We are not in the UK but have a good standard of living an my kids are getting a good private education.

My husband has got a great big pair of rose tinted specs and he does not believe what ever I tell him to the contrary. I really dont know what to do now as he is dead set on going
Old Jun 11th 2004, 10:08 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally posted by debsy
Grayling
I agree with what you are saying here. We are due to go late September and I am really having some serious doubts now it is time to go. We are not in the UK but have a good standard of living an my kids are getting a good private education.

My husband has got a great big pair of rose tinted specs and he does not believe what ever I tell him to the contrary. I really dont know what to do now as he is dead set on going
Debs
A lot of this concerns me too.
Iwill be selling a house here , will be taking a lot of money and both my wife and I will have good pensions. Theoretically we have nothing to worry about.

Trouble is I don't have a clue about relative costs and it is something that is very difficult to find out about.
No body knows what their salary will be.
A lot of reports on here state that people are earning less than they thought they would and things cost more

I can work if I choose as I am a registered Nurse. It was not my intention though
Maybe I will have to if I want a good lifestyle like I have here.
I am all for adventures but common sense has to play a part as well.
I WANT to hear people's experiences. Warts and all!!

G
Old Jun 11th 2004, 10:08 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally posted by debsy
Grayling

Debs
A lot of this concerns me too.
Iwill be selling a house here , will be taking a lot of money and both my wife and I will have good pensions. Theoretically we have nothing to worry about.

Trouble is I don't have a clue about relative costs and it is something that is very difficult to find out about.
No body knows what their salary will be.
A lot of reports on here state that people are earning less than they thought they would and things cost more

I can work if I choose as I am a registered Nurse. It was not my intention though
Maybe I will have to if I want a good lifestyle like I have here.
I am all for adventures but common sense has to play a part as well.
I WANT to hear people's experiences. Warts and all!!

G
Old Jun 11th 2004, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

thebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the rough

This sort of discussion is not intended to panic anyone.

I have, however, always found it strange that people go through all the hassle of getting a visa and then uproot their families to move halfway round the world yet don't often have a clue what they will be earning (if at all) or what living in Australia is going to cost.:scared:

All that is needed is a little research but nobody ever really wants these discussions.

Many just shrug their shoulders and say 'It'll be right'

G
No this is a good point
and thankyou for starting this thread
this is what we should be thinking about
the thing is im part of the rose tinted spec club
although i do take them off for a bit of a polish now and then

Nice one G

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.