Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

$40k enough in Adelaide?

$40k enough in Adelaide?

Old Feb 7th 2008, 6:38 am
BE Enthusiast

pomgrrl is a jewel in the roughpomgrrl is a jewel in the roughpomgrrl is a jewel in the roughpomgrrl is a jewel in the roughpomgrrl is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: $40k enough in Adelaide?

Originally Posted by Mrs Jackaroo

Sorry its not what you wanted to hear
Its not that I dont want to hear it, we have know to make an informed discission.
Even with my part time work we would get around $60 which is more than we live on now.
With $80 we would be getting alot more than we are used to, the kids wont be with us forever that will make a big difference.
ummmm lots to think about
Old Feb 7th 2008, 6:43 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pomgrrl
Its not that I dont want to hear it, we have know to make an informed discission.
Even with my part time work we would get around $60 which is more than we live on now.
With $80 we would be getting alot more than we are used to, the kids wont be with us forever that will make a big difference.
ummmm lots to think about
I suppose you just have to try and add up what YOUR monthly outgoings would be. We are in exactly the same position as you (but less children ) - we have a house in the UK and if we sold it we'd have around the same amount of equity - we would still struggle to buy here with a deposit of that amount. Obviously your rent may be a lot cheaper than ours (we pay $310 per week which is a huge chunk of the wages gone straight away). The $750 - $800 per week that I've quoted includes ALL bills (phone, broadband, gas, elec, rent, mobiles, groceries, petrol and a bit extra saving for rego). Yours may well be cheaper - but I wouldnt imagine it would be much less than that. I'm sure if I'm wrong though someone will come and correct me
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

pomgrrl is a jewel in the roughpomgrrl is a jewel in the roughpomgrrl is a jewel in the roughpomgrrl is a jewel in the roughpomgrrl is a jewel in the rough

oh dear going to be very worried now!
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:47 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously, even with your daughter having a part time job on weekends, it's going to be very tough. Groceries are not cheap, and feeding 2 teenage kids you can easily count on $300+ per week. Don't forget all the other goodies, like clothes, school fees, etc.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

oh balls! its all slipping away..................
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:52 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

oh balls! its all slipping away..................
No it's not. What type of work do you do? I'm sure there will be something out there for you so your income will help. Also, I'm pretty sure your husband will be able to find a job that pays better than $40k. My admin job paid that, so surely he can find something better.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Gjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Wendy
Ah, that changes quite a lot then.

As an Australian Citizen you will be entitled to all the benefits any other Aussie Citizen is, so get yourself down to Centrelink when you get here.
You'll get full FTB for both kids if they are at school, it's $5595 for the 14 year old and more for the 16 year old, so over $11k for both. You'll also get help with school fees and all the rest of it.

My opinion is, if you are used to living on the equivalent of that amount now, then I can't see why you can't here - it's not that much different in COL terms.
Agreed Wendy,

Reach truck driver?, plenty of jobs out Murray Bridge way where you can still build a good ( compared to Uk )house for less than 225k, (80k land, 145 k will build you a nice 3 bed) just a bit of travel if you need to go into the city (1hr), but everything available within 20 mins drive. 40k? I know lots of aussies that earn that. (don't get much more myself!)
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

OH is forklift driver/storeperson and im an elderly care assis.
not the best paid jobs
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gjn200
Agreed Wendy,

Reach truck driver?, plenty of jobs out Murray Bridge way where you can still build a good ( compared to Uk )house for less than 225k, (80k land, 145 k will build you a nice 3 bed) just a bit of travel if you need to go into the city (1hr), but everything available within 20 mins drive. 40k? I know lots of aussies that earn that. (don't get much more myself!)
I could kiss you!!!!
I was feeling a bit, well a lot dejected, hopefully I will be more positive again!!! We are looking at the north east burbs of Adelaide and have looked at Murray Bridge, houses seem reasonable there, was just worried about finding jobs.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 8:21 am
looking for my marbles

ozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to behold

Had my cousin on the phone this morning and they are screaming out for truck drivers in adelaide as they are all going off to work in the mines apparently might be worth a thought?? I know one family who happily live on 60k a year with 3 kids and are still managing to save to build a house. I guess it all comes down to lifestyle good luck hun and try not to get disheartened
Old Feb 7th 2008, 8:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gjn200
Agreed Wendy,

Thanks for joining me in my parallel universe, was thinking I was the only one here

Here's my fornightly outgoings based on a $225k mortgage, 2 cars, house with pool (and kids who don't turn out lights ), 2 adults and 2 kids.

Food $ 300.00
Mortgage $ 806.00
Electricity $ 50.00
Gas $ 25.00
Phone $ 30.00
Mobiles $ 40.00
Health $ 30.00
Life $ 46.51
Rego (G) $ 25.31
Rego (M) $ 25.31
Rates $ 30.77
Water $ 19.23
School $ 10.00
School $ 6.92
Buildings $ 9.62
Contents $ 10.77
Car $ 15.38
Petrol $100
TOTAL: $1,580.82

Works out at $790.41 per week.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 9:05 am
HUN skelper

magic.no7 has a brilliant futuremagic.no7 has a brilliant futuremagic.no7 has a brilliant futuremagic.no7 has a brilliant futuremagic.no7 has a brilliant futuremagic.no7 has a brilliant future

getting really scared with one thing and another but mainly worried that we will have low wage and not be able to survive
OH will brining in about $40k pa and my part time work poss $20k
(OH forklift driver/storeperson me elderly carer)
Im not going to working fo awhile so wondered if we could manage on $40k in Adelaide for a family of 5??
When you arrive it is money money money so, I'd say 40 g to settle and rent but then $60 g a year with medicare do a search, will be enough as long as you dont want the high life. You will survive, remember it takes a while to settle and material things come second to family happiness, you only need what you need, and its always better in good weather.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

Will a single person with no kids survive in ADL on $40k?
Old Feb 7th 2008, 10:08 am
Oh, George.....

Irish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to all

Thanks for joining me in my parallel universe, was thinking I was the only one here

Here's my fornightly outgoings based on a $225k mortgage, 2 cars, house with pool (and kids who don't turn out lights ), 2 adults and 2 kids.

Food $ 300.00
Mortgage $ 806.00
Electricity $ 50.00
Gas $ 25.00
Phone $ 30.00
Mobiles $ 40.00
Health $ 30.00
Life $ 46.51
Rego (G) $ 25.31
Rego (M) $ 25.31
Rates $ 30.77
Water $ 19.23
School $ 10.00
School $ 6.92
Buildings $ 9.62
Contents $ 10.77
Car $ 15.38
Petrol $100

Wendy! You're a Star!!!
All your threads are informative, realistic and optimistic!
Irish Gal.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 10:09 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Food $ 300.00
Mortgage $ 806.00
Electricity $ 50.00
Gas $ 25.00
Phone $ 30.00
Mobiles $ 40.00
Health $ 30.00
Life $ 46.51
Rego (G) $ 25.31
Rego (M) $ 25.31
Rates $ 30.77
Water $ 19.23
School $ 10.00
School $ 6.92
Buildings $ 9.62
Contents $ 10.77
Car $ 15.38
Petrol $100

So WHAT do you do with that extra $9.59 !!!! each bloody week !!!

SHOES I BET !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.