Reload this Page >

$1200 Insulation rebate stopped

$1200 Insulation rebate stopped

Old Feb 23rd 2010, 7:08 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: $1200 Insulation rebate stopped

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
It was not a rort. The government insisted that householders should get a minimum of two quotes. Anyone who paid over the odds for insulation only had themselves to blame for it.

My mate runs an insulation company (he's been in the game for 10 years) and he undercut the competition on a regular basis simply by sticking to his original prices. The dodgy guys quoting silly numbers weren't doing themselves any favours.
Two quotes?. First I've heard of that.

As for not cranking the prices up.... I had mine done by Bradford, the people who actually produce much of the insulation used in Oz and who have been in the game over 70yrs.

I got talking to the installers about price and asked them how much it had been pushed up by the grant. The guy leading the team of three installers reckoned that about $500 had gone on the price of every installation. He had been installing ceiling insulation for nine years, so I can only assume he knew what he was talking about.

As I got the $1600 grant, and the installation itself only cost me personally $285, I wasn't that bothered.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 7:49 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: $1200 Insulation rebate stopped

Disclaimer: until recently I was working for my mate (providing domestic retro-fit quotes for the rebate) so I have some experience in this area.

Originally Posted by TheSun
Good on your mate if he's a legitimate installer and probably one of he few who does a good job, but there's a lot who a few months ago were postmen and office workers. Its small business like your mates that i feel sorry for getting screwed by cowboys.
No worries, I think you'll find that the cowboys are only screwing themselves in the long run.

2 quotes? eh. All of the "installers" -"aaaaaaardvark insulation etc".. putting flyers through my door were quoting off of google earth and offering to install for free using backpackers as labour.
Yes, I've spoken to half a dozen people who've been harrassed in this way. This is how you deal with them:
  • Ask them if they're going to measure your house (they won't)

• Ask them if they intend to inspect your current insulation (they won't)

• Ask them if they are on the government's approved list (they won't be)

• Ask them if they will be giving you a detailed quote (they won't)

• Ask them if they know you can't proceed without two quotes (they'll try to fob you off)

• Tell them you're not interested and shut the door in their faces

• Report them to the government and the police

That's how I've been advising customers. It has won me a good deal of business.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 8:02 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: $1200 Insulation rebate stopped

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Two quotes?. First I've heard of that.
The "two quotes" rule was introduced in December 2009. It was well publicised. Anyone caught breaking that rule will receive a nice little bill for $1,200.

As for not cranking the prices up.... I had mine done by Bradford, the people who actually produce much of the insulation used in Oz and who have been in the game over 70yrs.
Bradford are a good brand. Not the biggest player in town, but they are reliable. My mate occasionally buys batts from Bradford if his usual supplier is running late with a delivery.

I got talking to the installers about price and asked them how much it had been pushed up by the grant. The guy leading the team of three installers reckoned that about $500 had gone on the price of every installation. He had been installing ceiling insulation for nine years, so I can only assume he knew what he was talking about.

As I got the $1600 grant, and the installation itself only cost me personally $285, I wasn't that bothered.
The guy was clearly exaggerating. Under the $1,600 rebate there might have been a little more room for inflating the price, but $500 is a hell of a lot to add on, so I seriously doubt that figure. You can't just drop five hundred bucks on top of the job and expect to get away with it, for two reasons: (a) the industry is extremely competitive, so someone will inevitably undercut you and (b) every customer wants his job to come under the rebate price, so artificial price inflation only drives away good business.

Let's do some maths, using the most recent rebate figure of $1,200.

My mate is one of the cheapest guys in town. He will supply and fit a 100 square metre house at $12.40 per square metre. This comes to exactly $1,240 which is $40 over the rebate. If he tried to inflate the price by $500 it would shoot up to $1,740. This is way too far over the rebate and extremely uncompetitive. Nobody in their right mind would accept such a quote; they'd just find someone else who'd do it for <1,200.

The only way to exploit the rebate is to aim for tiny units and duplexes in the 65-80sqm range. For example, a 70sqm unit would normally be insulated at ~$12.80 per sqm for a final figure of $896. Notice that even this figure is only $304 under the rebate threshold, so already the idea of whacking on another $500 is utterly ridiculous.

But there are two ways in which you can push up the price without going over the $1,200 rebate:
  • Raise your price from $12.80 per sqm to $17 per sqm for a total price of $1,190
    Bingo, you're just under the rebate and you've gouged an extra $300! However, this trick only works if your pricing is not transparent. Whenever I quote a job, I put all the paperwork on a table in front of the client, including the price sheet. The client can see exactly what we charge for houses of every size, including extras like the flat roof surcharge (these involve a lot more work) and downlight covers (these are mandatory under government legislation) so they know it's all kosher.

If the client can see your pricelist they will know if you're deliberately overcharging. But if you never show them your prices, they'll remain blissfullly ignorant. Of course, the more astute clients will ask to see your pricing.

• Throw in some extras
    If the client has halogen lights, they will need downlight covers. In my experience, most people don't have them and aren't aware that they need them. Downlight covers can be purchased for as little as $7, so the dodgy installer will naturally buy them at this price and sell them at $25 each. Presuming that the client has 10 downlights (4 in the kitchen and 6 in the lounge; a fairly common layout for small houses) this gives us $250 for a total sum of $1,146. That's still under the rebate and leaves the client feeling that he's scored some good value freebies.

If the client already has downlight covers, an unscrupulous installer might offer to "replace your old downlight covers with new ones" (which is of course completely unnecessary).

As you can see, there are ways to exploit the rebate - but only in the case of very small properties. If you went around sticking $500 on top of every job you'd be out of business pretty soon.

Old Feb 23rd 2010, 8:32 pm
Account Closed

The "two quotes" rule was introduced in December 2009. It was well publicised. Anyone caught breaking that rule will receive a nice little bill for $1,200.

Bradford are a good brand. Not the biggest player in town, but they are reliable. My mate occasionally buys batts from Bradford if his usual supplier is running late with a delivery.

The guy was clearly exaggerating. Under the $1,600 rebate there might have been a little more room for inflating the price, but $500 is a hell of a lot to add on, so I seriously doubt that figure. You can't just drop five hundred bucks on top of the job and expect to get away with it, for two reasons: (a) the industry is extremely competitive, so someone will inevitably undercut you and (b) every customer wants his job to come under the rebate price, so artificial price inflation only drives away good business.

Let's do some maths, using the most recent rebate figure of $1,200.

My mate is one of the cheapest guys in town. He will supply and fit a 100 square metre house at $12.40 per square metre. This comes to exactly $1,240 which is $40 over the rebate. If he tried to inflate the price by $500 it would shoot up to $1,740. This is way too far over the rebate and extremely uncompetitive. Nobody in their right mind would accept such a quote; they'd just find someone else who'd do it for <1,200.

The only way to exploit the rebate is to aim for tiny units and duplexes in the 65-80sqm range. For example, a 70sqm unit would normally be insulated at ~$12.80 per sqm for a final figure of $896. Notice that even this figure is only $304 under the rebate threshold, so already the idea of whacking on another $500 is utterly ridiculous.

But there are two ways in which you can push up the price without going over the $1,200 rebate:
  • Raise your price from $12.80 per sqm to $17 per sqm for a total price of $1,190
    Bingo, you're just under the rebate and you've gouged an extra $300! However, this trick only works if your pricing is not transparent. Whenever I quote a job, I put all the paperwork on a table in front of the client, including the price sheet. The client can see exactly what we charge for houses of every size, including extras like the flat roof surcharge (these involve a lot more work) and downlight covers (these are mandatory under government legislation) so they know it's all kosher.

If the client can see your pricelist they will know if you're deliberately overcharging. But if you never show them your prices, they'll remain blissfullly ignorant. Of course, the more astute clients will ask to see your pricing.

• Throw in some extras
    If the client has halogen lights, they will need downlight covers. In my experience, most people don't have them and aren't aware that they need them. Downlight covers can be purchased for as little as $7, so the dodgy installer will naturally buy them at this price and sell them at $25 each. Presuming that the client has 10 downlights (4 in the kitchen and 6 in the lounge; a fairly common layout for small houses) this gives us $250 for a total sum of $1,146. That's still under the rebate and leaves the client feeling that he's scored some good value freebies.

If the client already has downlight covers, an unscrupulous installer might offer to "replace your old downlight covers with new ones" (which is of course completely unnecessary).

As you can see, there are ways to exploit the rebate - but only in the case of very small properties. If you went around sticking $500 on top of every job you'd be out of business pretty soon.

I had mine done before the two quote rule existed, which is why I haven't heard about it.

All interesting figures but the reality is that many people paid nothing so didn't care how much installers added to the price. It cost me personally less than $300, so even if I was being gouged, it was for an amount that I wasn't worried about.

Who cares if they are being 'conned' if its not costing you anything anyway?.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you don't pay tax it is costing you.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 8:52 pm
Fighting my corner

Smile Re: $1200 Insulation rebate stopped

I had mine done before the two quote rule existed, which is why I haven't heard about it.

All interesting figures but the reality is that many people paid nothing so didn't care how much installers added to the price. It cost me personally less than $300, so even if I was being gouged, it was for an amount that I wasn't worried about.

Very true and that's the way a lot of people see it.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 8:52 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by NedKelly
Unless you don't pay tax it is costing you.
Well aware of that... but unless it comes directly out of your pocket at the time, that's not how it feels.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 1:11 am
ABCDiamond

It was not a rort. The government insisted that householders should get a minimum of two quotes. Anyone who paid over the odds for insulation only had themselves to blame for it.
The problem was that getting two quotes was pointless, when most quotes were under the grant, and the householder paid nothing anyway.
The government paid the installer directly, and the householder had no financial involvement.

If you get two quotes; one for $800 and one for $1600, many people will go for the $1600 one (the better one ? ) if someone else is paying the full tab...

The new scheme puts some financial involvement and responsibility back on the householder. It should have been done this way from day one.

Old Feb 24th 2010, 2:02 am
Fighting my corner

Arrow Re: $1200 Insulation rebate stopped

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
The problem was that getting two quotes was pointless, when most quotes were under the grant, and the householder paid nothing anyway.
The government paid the installer directly, and the householder had no financial involvement.
I work in the industry; you don't need to tell me how the scheme works.

If you get two quotes; one for $800 and one for $1600, many people will go for the $1600 one (the better one ? ) if someone else is paying the full tab..
Most quotes were not under the grant. I've already shown you that from the figures I quoted. Remember also that it hasn't been $1,600 for a long time. $1,200 was the final figure before the scheme ended. The average size of an Australian house is between 150 & 200 square metres. Good luck getting that insulated for $1,600 - let alone $1,200! My house is only 154 sqm and I've been variously quoted $1,800-$2,200 for insulation. Of course, I will eventually insulate it through my employer, since he'll do it at cost. But this gives you some idea of the prices people are charging. There's no way you can slide comfortably under the rebate unless your house is very small.

In my experience the final price made no difference to people if it was still under the grant. Most people simply tossed a coin or made their decision based on their personal opinion of the salesman who visited them. They did not automatically conclude that the more expensive quote was the "better" one. In cases where both quotes were under the rebate, I still won contracts regardless of whether or not my quote wascheaper than the opposition. In cases where my quote was under the rebate and the opposition quote was over, I always won the contract.

The new scheme puts some financial involvement and responsibility back on the householder. It should have been done this way from day one.
The new scheme favours people who already have enough money to pay for their own insulation and disadvantages the very people who were relying on the scheme in the first place (ie. the regular, everyday folks who don't have a few thousand bucks in their back pocket). It is therefore self-defeating.

The only additional responsibility it places on the householder is a financial one and it gives them even more reason to go for the lowest possible price. This is good news for the bargain basement cowboys because they'll simply regroup and continue to do what they were doing before: providing unrealistically low quotes for work that turns out to be substandard.

I can't see any extra consumer protection in the new scheme, but I do see an awful lot of people missing out because they don't have enough money to pay the full price up front. Perhaps the cowboys will talk to the loan sharks and start offering dodgy finance deals to go with their dodgy insulation.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Feb 24th 2010 at 2:08 am.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 3:45 am
ABCDiamond

The new scheme favours people who already have enough money to pay for their own insulation and disadvantages the very people who were relying on the scheme in the first place (ie. the regular, everyday folks who don't have a few thousand bucks in their back pocket). It is therefore self-defeating.
That is a good point. Nothing is easy is it.

Old Feb 24th 2010, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
That is a good point. Nothing is easy is it.
Mr P was amazed by the number of people who were ineligible (house too new/existing insulation) only to be told someone else had already agreed to do it for them.
He probably turned down more leads than he accepted as he was a stickler for the criteria, but many were not.

I think the govt should have had a central quoting team and then allow people to go to an installer of their choice to do the work. Cuts out all the overquoting/unethical practices.

Peter Garrett should resign. He is the head of the dept and therefore must accept responsibility for the debacle. Bit like the head of a company resigning when they had produced a shonky product.
Don't like Garrett anyway- he has done a complete about turn on his green principles since he joined the government.